C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wet wash mine in the garage. I use low water power so it doesn't spray on the walls, ceiling, etc. This works great in Oklahoma where it is always hot as hell or the wind is blowing a hundred miles an hour. I recently started using foam and a two bucket system. Washing my car is my therapy!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by 9779
I wet wash mine in the garage. I use low water power so it doesn't spray on the walls, ceiling, etc. This works great in Oklahoma where it is always hot as hell or the wind is blowing a hundred miles an hour. I recently started using foam and a two bucket system. Washing my car is my therapy!
My therapy is driving it. Waterless car wash gives me more time to do that.
The following users liked this post:
Blown Vette (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,113 Likes on 607 Posts

i was a die hard ONR user for 4 years, recently tried Wolfgang Uber Rinseless....hate to say it, i think it is better than the ONR. seemed slicker and gave the finish more pop
Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

JR-01 - I agree, daily driving is the best therapy!

Last edited by 9779; 04-20-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Just got done using the meguiars ultimate waterless. I can say for a fact that I will continue to use this product unless I decide to go with chadwicks. The cleaning only took a couple minutes and I was going slow as it was my first waterless wash. I can not see any scratches or damage and it is as clean as if I would have broke out the hose. What impressed me the most is how easily the bugs came off the front bumper. One bottle cost me 8 dollars and I think that I can get 6 washes out of a bottle judging by how much I used on this first application.

Now I still feel that the car needs waxed I do t know if this is just psychological or not but the paint feels clean and smooth but not like it has wax on it. Does anyone know if you should wax after using the meguiars waterless. I know that you are not supposed to use wax after Chadwick's but it is a different product and is much more expensive.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by v8srfun
Just got done using the meguiars ultimate waterless. I can say for a fact that I will continue to use this product unless I decide to go with chadwicks. The cleaning only took a couple minutes and I was going slow as it was my first waterless wash. I can not see any scratches or damage and it is as clean as if I would have broke out the hose. What impressed me the most is how easily the bugs came off the front bumper. One bottle cost me 8 dollars and I think that I can get 6 washes out of a bottle judging by how much I used on this first application.

Now I still feel that the car needs waxed I do t know if this is just psychological or not but the paint feels clean and smooth but not like it has wax on it. Does anyone know if you should wax after using the meguiars waterless. I know that you are not supposed to use wax after Chadwick's but it is a different product and is much more expensive.
I waxed mine after I took it out of winter storage. I now plan on using Meguiars waterless this driving season and will not wax it again until next spring. The product does have wax in it and leaves a real nice shine.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

I use Chemical Guys Eco Wash concentrate.....sounds like a lot of the other products mentioned. It has Carnuba Wax in the concentrate. I'm a FREAK about keeping my car clean, can't stand micro scratches on the clearcoat, etc. I've never had an issue with "scratching" the car. I use micro fiber cloths exclusively, as I'm sure most here do. I also use a Chemical Guys product called Nano Shock that really puts a nice shine on the car (it also protects the car.....takes 24 hours to cure). Bottom line, I've been doing waterless wash for years with zero issues.

Last edited by z06vettewannabe; 04-20-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,113 Likes on 607 Posts

i used the meguiars mf wash mitt (per my detailer recommendation), and the detailed image waffle towel to blot dry, then the rethickulus towel for a final dry

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...18/16-x-16-S1/
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've always used meguiars gold class wash and I also use a foamer then dry with a leaf blower.. this thread has me thinking and just might give this a shot.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM
dewoof01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
Whatever you're doing, keep doing it! Your car is fricken gorgeous!

​​​​​​Thanks buddy! Of course someone said they like Uber better than ONR... Great now u got to buy another car wash to try 😉
Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

It rained today while I was on my break at work so I will update the little review I gave if anything changes or if I feel I need to add anything.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by v8srfun

Chadwick's cleans , shines and protects !!!! it actually takes off wax allowing the clear coat to allow the color to shine. The more you use it the better the shine gets !!! Neil believes, wax melts in the sun then dirt in the air collects on the wax, then the wax re-hardens, and the process continues till the clear coat is filled with dirt blocking the shine !!!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4luck
Optimum No rinse

Optimum no rinse car wash does a great job!
I use the two bucket method inside my garage. No water on the floor

optimum no rinse also makes a great detail spray and clay lube.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pounder
Neil believes, wax melts in the sun then dirt in the air collects on the wax, then the wax re-hardens, and the process continues till the clear coat is filled with dirt blocking the shine !!!
Good reason to use a sealant rather than a wax
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrprich
Good reason to use a sealant rather than a wax
If it really is the case, yes. However since the thickness of the wax is less than a micron, only a few molecules thick, it's hard to say.

Last edited by JR-01; 04-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 PM
BRKLYN
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

At the dealer I used spray and shine, a mixture made on site at the shop. Somewhat like the waterless wash, it leaves a shine and a barrier so soil didn't stay on car. Unless your mud bogging, then you gotta use water.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JR-01
If it really is the case, yes. However since the thickness of the wax is less than a micron, only a few molecules thick, it's hard to say.
Agree,
But once I tried Rejex back in 07 on my 99 daily driver I had then I never went back to wax. I found I only needed to clay and apply Rejex about every 6 months. And I am in Oregon where we see lots of rain. Kept using Rejex up until 2016 when I bought my 03 which I had coated with OptiCoat Pro.

Get notified of new replies

To Dry Car Wash

Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 AM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Man, I’m blown away with this topic!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I thought I would get a some opinions. Then I came back and 117 posts!!!!!

I should be receiving my chadwicks triple play within a few days.
No hurry, we are still getting rain. This car is never DRIVEN in the rain.

It looks like a few people here prefer WATERLESS CAR WASH.

I have 19K on my 98, obviously excessive driving, sorry.

Man, I’m blown away with this topic!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 AM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

MY CAR COULD BE CONSIDERED A GARAGE QUEEN.

It’really isn’t, based upon the way I use it, a total toy.
My wife has a 370Z, I have the Corvette and we really only need our 3rd car, daily driver.
To me, when it hits the road after being covered in the garage all winter;

It’s like having a brand new monster. Not a point A-to point B machine. It’s a thrill I get every spring;

GOTTA LOVE IT
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Question for you guys; whether you're using Chadwick's, Meguiar's, or some other waterless wash, are there any of them that wipe on and wipe off without having to go back over them and wipe them again with a different cloth than you applied it with? I use a product on my bike called Original Bike Spirits. It's not technically a waterless wash, but it is a cleaner and leaves a just waxed-like finish. My only complaint about it is you have to wipe it off after you wipe it on. I spray it on a microfiber cloth (it can also be sprayed directly onto the vehicle, but I can control where it goes if I wipe it on), then with a different MF cloth you wipe it off. Do these waterless washes have to be applied and removed in the same manner?

Last edited by grampi50; 04-21-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Dry Car Wash