Sponsored by:

Totally discouraged

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
Hence my desire to purchase a one or two owner max car, with stacks of paper showing proper pampering.

When I bought my C5, I was given 3 manilla envelopes. One had all the factory, and financing paperwork, window stickers, and the build sheet. Another one had all the maintenance records and receipts. But the final one was 3" thick, and filled with every single gas station receipt all the way back to 2001 No everyday Ford car owner is gonna do THAT
Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
When I bought my C5, I was given 3 manilla envelopes. One had all the factory, and financing paperwork, window stickers, and the build sheet. Another one had all the maintenance records and receipts. But the final one was 3" thick, and filled with every single gas station receipt all the way back to 2001 No everyday Ford car owner is gonna do THAT
No sane person in the world is going to do that. Might be a deal breaker for me honestly, an owner like that might hunt you down for, say, cutting holes in your hood or drawing on your car with a sharpie.

That's about like ET saving every oil filter box from every oil change.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 PM
socal_Dad
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Sometimes it helps to take a break from looking every day and come back to it in a few weeks when there is fresh inventory to look at. When buying something used, it's all about timing.
The following users liked this post:
CJ1957 (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by socal_Dad
Sometimes it helps to take a break from looking every day and come back to it in a few weeks when there is fresh inventory to look at. When buying something used, it's all about timing.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by friou
Try increasing your search radius, preferably to nation wide. Excellent C5's are definitely out there. Check this forums "for sale" section or go to cargurus.com, plug in all your parameters and it will pull up dozens, if not in the 100+ count of C5's of every description and option. Don't give up, be patient, its worth the search and wait. Good luck! By the way, I had a '93 red LX, 5.0, 5 spd, procharged and intercooled. Terrific and fun little car that was for all purposes and intentions seemed to be bulletproof. Absolutely reliable and pretty damned quick!

Good advice! Increase your search radius...I always do a nationwide search...gotta be willing to travel for the nice ones...and I also had an '88 LX 5.0...it was a great car, reliable too!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

So, I don't think the OP has been here in 5 months (perhaps I missed it). Did he ever find the right C5?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:29 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
No sane person in the world is going to do that. Might be a deal breaker for me honestly, an owner like that might hunt you down for, say, cutting holes in your hood or drawing on your car with a sharpie.

That's about like ET saving every oil filter box from every oil change.

.... O_o Ok

Firstly I bought it at a dealer. Secondly, it was an old lady who traded in her C5 to buy a C6 when the C7 came out. I can only imagine to save some money, and still have an effectively new car. So I think I'm ok on the crazy front... dang, no fingers crossed emoji's

I found it to be quite an exceptional deal personally. I had never before bought a used car that had so much provenance! Although, it was real weird to get that for sure, I'll give it to ya there.

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 09-23-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:00 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I see where the OP is coming from...any yr vette ive had was way high maintenance compared to any othe rcar Ive had. To say gee ive had 10k miles and no problems thats like only a few mos.Thing is op many guys that own these rarely drive them so putting 10k can take years and they may think "its been yrs since Ive fixed anything so its reliable"

These overall are just high maintenance in their own way theres no way it will be trouble free as an old 5.0 I know had em also. More electronics, more problems. some of the mid 80s-early 90s cars were pretty bulleproof all the way around
It will pizz the fanboys off but these arent the types of cars you hop in and drive mindlessly for years on end ya really gotta like em. Hell my 02 truck has 180k and many hard miles I have never touched anything on that engine...dont know why the vettes have so many problems with leaks, valvesprings, heads lifters good gawd.
BUt..they look cool. lol

Everything is relative. I wouldn't expect a C5 to be Civic or Corolla-like reliable, however, compared to other sports cars of it's time, Porsche, Ferrari, etc., the C5 is as reliable as a Swiss watch...
Old 09-23-2017, 02:49 PM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Wake up!

Emailed OP and asked them to update us if they could.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:43 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

At 71, when I bought my 3rd Vette C5 04 vert , I knew what the issues are that may crop up. But I said F**K it. I knew more about this car and issues then what I was getting into then when I married my wife 51 years ago. So whatever the future holds, this will be my very fun car.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:13 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

/\ This guy has life figured out

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 09-23-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:59 AM
t1fudd
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Last Year for my 60th Birthday, my wife bought me a '00 FRC, M6. My "ideal" corvette was a triple black convertible. She looked at a few. One in particular was a '02 Triple black convertible, 49K, M6. When she went to the dealership to look at it, it wouldn't start. Needed a new starter. She went back the next week and took it for a test drive. Check engine light comes on. She takes it to work (she drives a school bus) and the mechanic there put it on a diagnostic machine, tells her what the problems are. She takes it back to the dealer, tells them she'll give them 16,500 for it (they wanted 19,900). They told her it was 19,900 or nothing. She told them she'd think about it. Called them back a few weeks later and told them "If I give you 19,900, will you fix the problems and not just reset the lights" They told her no. She told them to kiss her a$$. They were just trying to unload it on some unsuspecting sod. My '00 has 67K on it. No leaks. Last time I took it in for inspection the mechanic said it looked like a new car under there. They ARE out there. Take your time, do your due diligence and get the right one.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Corpsman
After months of looking at every C5 within a 75 mile diameter of Houston; I have discovered one certain thing. The only good Corvette is a new Corvette under warranty. Every single one with 80k+ leaks either at the rear main seal, oil pan, other places, and sometimes all over. This would not be an issue to me if it was not so ridiculously time consuming to fix these issues. I suppose the Corvette with high miles is a mechanical tinker toy for those inclined to do such. I enjoy working on my cars however when the typical issues take one or two hours to simply get to is simply not worth the frustration. So have I simply been exposed to 20+ lemons?
I owned a 91 5.0 Mustang and purchased it with 48k miles. I beat the ever living daylights out of that car. I jumped railroad tracks, raced it on the 1/4 mile on weekends quite a bit, and when she was all ugly and I purchased a new car; I started using her as an ATV out in my back field literally stopping every once in awhile to put the fire out from the grass getting caught by the exhaust. I put her to rest at 286 Thousand miles and she still ran great, looked like she been to hell and back cause she had. Never leaked, changed water pump 1 time, went through 2 transmission rebuilds that only cost 500 bucks and change each time. What happened to good, sturdy, cars that all should expect. Ironically I still think FORD is garbage. Have I missed something? Have people neglected to do something to cause these Corvettes to leak?

I am thinking I need to outfit my garage with a lift so I can simply remove the body from the car and do all I need to whenever i need to prior to owning one. What thoughts might anyone have on my feelings here. Am I off base? Have I missed something? The Corvette is a gorgeous car, however she seems like a gold digger, consuming not only your money but your time for little return.
I have read this entire post with great interest. After reading this I find I must be very fortunate to have found the C5 that I now own. I purchased mine with 92,000. Other than an oil pressure sending unit and a rebuild of the ABS module the only expense I have had on mine is of my own choosing. My car is a black convertible, has no wind noise, the rear window is not falling out, door windows work perfect, no electrical issues, the a/c will freeze you out, no leaks at all. Again, I must be very lucky. Mine has not been modded in any way. Don't take any of this wrong. I love modded vehicles and have owned street rods for 40 years but now the C5 is my only "other" vehicle. Mine is 16 years old and a little problem from time to time should be expected.

Last edited by Omaha Flash; 09-25-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by t1fudd
Last Year for my 60th Birthday, my wife bought me a '00 FRC, M6. My "ideal" corvette was a triple black convertible. She looked at a few. One in particular was a '02 Triple black convertible, 49K, M6. When she went to the dealership to look at it, it wouldn't start. Needed a new starter. She went back the next week and took it for a test drive. Check engine light comes on. She takes it to work (she drives a school bus) and the mechanic there put it on a diagnostic machine, tells her what the problems are. She takes it back to the dealer, tells them she'll give them 16,500 for it (they wanted 19,900). They told her it was 19,900 or nothing. She told them she'd think about it. Called them back a few weeks later and told them "If I give you 19,900, will you fix the problems and not just reset the lights" They told her no. She told them to kiss her a$$. They were just trying to unload it on some unsuspecting sod. My '00 has 67K on it. No leaks. Last time I took it in for inspection the mechanic said it looked like a new car under there. They ARE out there. Take your time, do your due diligence and get the right one.
Cool and smart wife!!
The following users liked this post:
t1fudd (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm not sure what the issue is here. The vette is no different from any other car when it gets high in miles it will need maintenance. Prior to the vette I owned several fox bodies, and they were all synonymous to leak at the oil pan at around 45K, and the heater core. Ever see the work involved to fix one of these leaks? $$$$

I can only draw from my experience with the vette, but it has to be one of the most reliable cars I've owned. I've owned mine for a better part of 8 years and I bought it with a relatively high 75K. In the past 4 years I got involved heavily with HPDE events and the car gets beaten on more the most! Despite all this I only really started having leaks at the end of last season and this season. My rear seal only recently went and will change it next year.

At the end of the day rest easy since once it is fixed, it's fixed! Good luck!

Last edited by STALION; 09-25-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 PM
t1fudd
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Route99
Cool and smart wife!!
I think so!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
I'm not sure what the issue is here. The vette is no different from any other car when it gets high in miles it will need maintenance. Prior to the vette I owned several fox bodies, and they were all synonymous to leak at the oil pan at around 45K, and the heater core. Ever see the work involved to fix one of these leaks? $$$$

I can only draw from my experience with the vette, but it has to be one of the most reliable cars I've owned. I've owned mine for a better part of 8 years and I bought it with a relatively high 75K. In the past 4 years I got involved heavily with HPDE events and the car gets beaten on more the most! Despite all this I only really started having leaks at the end of last season and this season. My rear seal only recently went and will change it next year.

At the end of the day rest easy since once it is fixed, it's fixed! Good luck!
My thoughts exactly. The C5's are for the most part, old cars. With age comes repairs. I don't think they are any more or less reliable than any other GM product. The LS engines are proven as are the OD transmissions. I think if the gentleman who made the first post here will be patient and keep looking he will find exactly what he is looking for. Plenty of information on the forum to read in the mean time to help make the right choice. The right car will be worth the wait. God bless America, not the NFL.

Get notified of new replies

To Totally discouraged

Old 09-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Omaha Flash
God bless America, not the NFL.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:53 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks