C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade my C5 for a C6

Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The base C6 has not aged well and looks like garbage now. They have too many wide body options that dwarf the base and make it look so bad. Avoid it at all costs.

Also ignore Jerri about mods, sounds like he's jaded. A nice street cam and headers is all you need to bring the power up to par with most everything else, plus it sounds better. You don't have to change or address springs for 50k miles or more so don't sweat it.

Option #2 is just add a supercharger and leave the rest alone. Instant 100rwhp and reliable as hell. Still better looking than a base C6.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

For a base C6 no way. Would have to be a C6 grand sport or z06 to be worthwhile or C7. Its pretty easy to add 50hp to these cars if that's your switching point
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by grampi50
Not being facetious at all, I've never heard of any problems with the LS7...so is this an actual problem with this engine, or has it been blown out of proportion, and if it's an actual problem, has GM addressed the problem with a recall?
It's a very real problem. GM's recall didn't fix the issue properly- if I remember correctly. In regards to the OP "upgrading" to a C6: unless you're shopping for a 2008+ C6, I wouldn't consider the jump an upgrade. (Or not enough of one to justify the cost, IMO) LS1 C5's and LS2 C6's have very similar performance numbers. The real upgrade was in '08 when the LS3 debuted. Great, reliable engine with loads of potential.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Pounder
Not sure I would part with my C 5, buuuuuuutt next one C 6 ZO 6 or ZR1 !!!!
You and me both, Paul. Hopefully a ZR1 in each of our futures.
The following users liked this post:
Pounder (04-28-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

I love the ls3 but there's something that holds me back from trading up to a base c6. I often find myself catching the c6 in the wrong light and I get gun shy because of a wierd fleet vehicle vibe. I dont know how else to explain but I don't get it with the c5. I'll try to use the following pics of a base c6 and base c5 to explain.

The c6 grand sport or z06 just beautiful and I would have no issues getting into one of those. But I can't justify spending 3-4 times what I paid for my c5 for a toy that gets driven maybe a handful of times each year.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,176 Posts

Love my 2008 c6 z51 with nPP...

That said....just keep your present corvette as it's still a quick sports car...

A cam with no headers because of California regulations is not worth the effort.....not to mention potiential added maintance required...ie valve spring replacement and for those asking...I am jaded...

Modded cars for weekend drivers are fine...

I use my corvettes daily and they hold up better day in and day out ..

JMO

Air intake, cow booster, tune, MGw short throw shifter, d shaped steering wheel....19/20 c7 z51 black wheels..

Pay off your existing ride and enjoy no payments...

Smartest move
gmbal4 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerriVette
A cam with no headers because of California regulations is not worth the effort.....not to mention potiential added maintance required...ie valve spring replacement and for those asking...I am jaded...

Modded cars for weekend drivers are fine...
First, my current C5Z came from Cali and has a TSP Torquer cam with LS7 manifolds etc. I guess he was passing inspection. That said there's 49 other states where headers are great. I love the setup in it, still makes 420s at the tire.

Second, I daily drove a 640rwhp C5 for years and didn't have any maintenance issues as you claim. This is just false info you're passing along. Not all cams are solid roller 700 lift sticks you know. To compare the LS1 to the LS6 cam is a great example that a cam can make more power with factory reliability. There are many aftermarket choices that don't beat up the drivetrain.

I also said to just put a centri on it and enjoy it if you're worried and still want more power.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jackjohnson_218
I love the ls3 but there's something that holds me back from trading up to a base c6. I often find myself catching the c6 in the wrong light and I get gun shy because of a wierd fleet vehicle vibe. I dont know how else to explain but I don't get it with the c5. I'll try to use the following pics of a base c6 and base c5 to explain.

The c6 grand sport or z06 just beautiful and I would have no issues getting into one of those. But I can't justify spending 3-4 times what I paid for my c5 for a toy that gets driven maybe a handful of times each year.
That top pic doesn't even look like a Vette to me...it looks like that 2 seater Pontiac, whatever it was...a solice?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 PM
mikeam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd go rent a base C6 for a day or weekend before buying one.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drewstein
First, my current C5Z came from Cali and has a TSP Torquer cam with LS7 manifolds etc. I guess he was passing inspection. That said there's 49 other states where headers are great. I love the setup in it, still makes 420s at the tire.

Second, I daily drove a 640rwhp C5 for years and didn't have any maintenance issues as you claim. This is just false info you're passing along. Not all cams are solid roller 700 lift sticks you know. To compare the LS1 to the LS6 cam is a great example that a cam can make more power with factory reliability. There are many aftermarket choices that don't beat up the drivetrain.

I also said to just put a centri on it and enjoy it if you're worried and still want more power.
I'd imagine there are many people who put a cam and heads on their car and have no issue especially if they use them for the weekends etc..

I'm speaking of my own personal experience. I do t know why it's pissing you off...but in my opinion the corvettes are fast enough and don't need to have heads and cam..

Tends to ruin a cars capability for daily driving reliability for many..

If your car was modded and drove great for 100k miles with nothing more than oil changes and such....more power to you..

I do prefer the forced induction bolt on if you just got to have more power...but really just buying a c6 z06 would in my opinion be a smarter play...

Either way...good luck to the original poster...

Whatever floats your boat...

I happen to think with slightly larger diameter wheels the c5 is a very contemporary design...

One of my favorite cars I've ever owned....can't really say that about my c6 z51 m6 although it's been utterly reliable and a great vehicle to own..

Have fun deciding
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Stock cars are boring. My SIL bought an '08, but after driving my (at the time) H/C/every bolt on C5Z, went out and bought an A&A centri kit, headers, and a big cam. If your car's a coupe, it's a toss up. If it's a FRC/Z, I'd keep it.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

I do prefer the forced induction bolt on if you just got to have more power...but really just buying a c6 z06 would in my opinion be a smarter play...
Because moving from a C5 to a C6Z is the same cost as a blower upgrade? Um no. Why not buy a C7Z then? A blower or bolt on parts is much cheaper than re-financing a rapidly depreciating asset.

I'm not upset but I'm going to correct bad info because there are thousands of modded vettes doing just fine as daily drivers. I'm not sure how you got jaded but the "it's fast enough stock" advice was old in 1999.

I'm sure all the site vendors and supporters will explain to you that you can make a car great for a DD or great for a toy without ruining it.

I can buy any vette I want and I still bought a modded C5Z because it's just an incredible car that's timeless and I'm liking it more than my 3 previous vettes. I could DD this car easy but it's too nice so I just take it out on Fridays and weekends etc.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Drewstein...if you believe modded cars have the same reliability over time and mileage of a lightly modded or stock daily driver then I can tell you are not taking your medication.

Enjoy your modded cars guys just realize over time maintaince and repairs usually are more frequent and a little more complicated.

Are there exceptions ? Of course but it's few and far between.

I'm not quite sure I agree that the c6 z06 will continue to have rapid depreciation as it's pretty much at a low point but my point was just enjoy the original posters current c5 as it's an awesome ride.

I have owned two new c5 s, one lightly modded, one more heavily modded and now a lightly modded 2008 c6 z51 m6 that again I bought new and now has 107k miles. Top speed of 190 mph, 1.0 lateral cornering g s..zero to sixty in four seconds.....the difference in performance of the two generations is minimal at best and having owned both and driving each generation over 100k miles I really don't think the performance differential is noticeable ...

A beautiful c5 is a wonderful sports car...world class without question.

To the original poster I do not recommend cracking open the motor for heads and cam or just a cam...the c5 corvette is awesome as is and over time....in my opinion the reliability of the engine operation over time becomes compromised....that's just my opinion.

The difference In the performance of the c6 versus the c5 in nothing anyone could actually tell...when was the last time any of us drove over 170 mph of the top speed of the totally stock c5? A few light mods are fine if you like...

While the c6 is an awesome ride...my suggestion to the original poster is if you have 18 months of payments left on the c5....just keep that and enjoy your ride.

I just stopped into this thread as an owner of both c5 s and c6 to offer insights the original poster requested. Take those insights with a grain of salt...

The c5 corvette is an awesome sports car..

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-28-2017 at 06:16 AM.
gmbal4 (06-05-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gmbal4
you got a point.... currently have 61,000 original miles and rock solid. would just love to have 400 Hp as opposed to 350 for the C5 however I guess a nice mild cam and tune will help out a lot.
For me its either spend $$$ for headers and a cam on my C5 or take that money and buy a C6. Right now I am casually looking for a good deal on an 05-07 LS2 6 Speed Vette.... if I see one with low miles, in great condition for a great price I will likely buy it and then sell my C5. And if nothing comes up I'll keep driving my C5.

OP if you can find the right price, and the right car, then I'd say go for the C6
Old 04-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Drewstein...if you believe modded cars have the same reliability over time and mileage of a lightly modded or stock daily driver then I can tell you are not taking your medication.

Enjoy your modded cars guys just realize over time maintaince and repairs usually are more frequent and a little more complicated.

Are there exceptions ? Of course but it's few and far between.
You're blowing it way out of proportion with the maint schedule. Maybe in 4 years someone with a cam will need to check the springs, big deal lol. Even at a DD pace that's approx. 40k miles and many packages hold up much longer. As I said originally you don't have to get a big donkey stick to make the car enjoyable. Until then it's change the oil as usual which isn't more complicated.

Many modded cars on here see thousands of track miles with no issues and not a lot extra required and they're ridden hard. Good setups don't fail like you describe.

Remember the LS was designed as a 200k mile car from the word go so checking springs every 40-50k isn't a big deal.

If the C5Z is in the teens then the C6Z will get there too. My point was your suggestion to buy a car worth double the C5 as a solution has so many holes in it including continuing to loose money on the deal.

If I were going to get a C6 it would be the Z, GS or Zr1 as the base looks like a cheap rental car. I'm not sure just getting a C7 would be a better decision all around.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:37 PM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Pay off c5, wait a few years, buy a c6
Old 04-29-2017, 01:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drewstein
You're blowing it way out of proportion with the maint schedule. Maybe in 4 years someone with a cam will need to check the springs, big deal lol. Even at a DD pace that's approx. 40k miles and many packages hold up much longer. As I said originally you don't have to get a big donkey stick to make the car enjoyable. Until then it's change the oil as usual which isn't more complicated.

Many modded cars on here see thousands of track miles with no issues and not a lot extra required and they're ridden hard. Good setups don't fail like you describe.

Remember the LS was designed as a 200k mile car from the word go so checking springs every 40-50k isn't a big deal.

If the C5Z is in the teens then the C6Z will get there too. My point was your suggestion to buy a car worth double the C5 as a solution has so many holes in it including continuing to loose money on the deal.

If I were going to get a C6 it would be the Z, GS or Zr1 as the base looks like a cheap rental car. I'm not sure just getting a C7 would be a better decision all around.

Feel free to speak about your experiences. I'll do the same. Wishing you well.

Good luck

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-29-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trade my C5 for a C6

Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I think he was upset that it was being insinuated mods inherently compromise reliability. If you install an oil cooler and do a good job, you'll improve reliability, not hurt it, sometimes there's a trade off, sometimes after market parts are better. A fully reliable street cam with headers is definitely achievable, but yeah, it's nothing to get angry about.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I just don't care any more..please enjoy your car any way you like.

Do almost any aftermarket cam and you should g prepared to change out the dual valve springs in my opinion every 20k miles if not less.

If your taking your car to a tuner to have them change out the valve springs...in my opinion the car can sit ..not always but often times tuners get backed up.

To me it wasn't worth the down time...

The few extra hp from a cam maybe 25 without headers ..and .if your lucky it can still pass California emissions...is just wasn't worth the potiential pain in the butt...

Good luck whatever you decide...

My suggestion is driver schools to become a better driver is the best mod

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-29-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:30 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I just don't care any more..please enjoy your car any way you like.

Do almost any aftermarket cam and you should g prepared to change out the dual valve springs in my opinion every 20k miles if not less.

If your taking your car to a tuner to have them change out the valve springs...in my opinion the car can sit ..not always but often times tuners get backed up.

To me it wasn't worth the down time...

The few extra hp from a cam maybe 25 without headers ..and .if your lucky it can still pass California emissions...is just wasn't worth the potiential pain in the butt...

Good luck whatever you decide...

My suggestion is driver schools to become a better driver is the best mod
I know you really believe the valvespring thing, but many aftermarket cams don't have too much more lift than a factory cam, and in my case, my TF heads came with .670 rated dual springs. Also, not that difficult to DIY. Many cam designs put no more stress on the springs than stock; and we all know about some of the stock spring quality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade my C5 for a C6