Sponsored by:

Best way to neg. with dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 PM
old jack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best way to neg. with dealer

There is a couple dealers that have exactly what I want low miles and manual the only difference is colors which I can live with. All three are in the mid 55 to 60000 mileage. and the prices are the same $18000. I plan on offering 16 cash. If not I'll walk away. Is that being unreasonable? I do have 20 cash. but want to cash on hand for extras.

Thanks Jack
Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Do what I did, find the one you want, then find another one with either more options or lower miles or both with similar price. Talk to the dealer and say you're looking at a few and you think their price is high in comparison with the other vehicle. Tell them they have to beat that price by at least 2,000 (or more if you choose, 2k worked for me).

They might balk at first or all together. In my case he said it was way less than he could do but then proceeded to ask me if that was my offer after I told him to have a nice day. An hour later he texted me and said he took it to the GM and he accepted the offer.

Last edited by acuevo; 04-26-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Slow1000rider03
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by old jack
There is a couple dealers that have exactly what I want low miles and manual the only difference is colors which I can live with. All three are in the mid 55 to 60000 mileage. and the prices are the same $18000. I plan on offering 16 cash. If not I'll walk away. Is that being unreasonable? I do have 20 cash. but want to cash on hand for extras.

Thanks Jack
Be ready to walk and stand by your price. Give them a business card and tell them to call if something changes. Seems to work
Old 04-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Set your max price and stick by it. If they don't meet your price, be prepared to walk. As long as it is not a ridiculous price you offer, they may just agree to it.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

My experience was that the dealers didn't care if I had cash, they were more interested in financing me.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by AE Guy
My experience was that the dealers didn't care if I had cash, they were more interested in financing me.
In today's world financing is generally better for a number of reasons. If the dealership uses their own financing then they can later sell off your loan and make more than if you paid cash. Plus, its easier to sell an extended warranty at an extra $25 a month rather than asking someone to pay an extra $3000 cash. There's also the "Would you really want to be paying on something that broke down?" argument to the warranty that is void if you pay cash.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Set your max price and stick by it. If they don't meet your price, be prepared to walk. As long as it is not a ridiculous price you offer, they may just agree to it.

I made an offer $1800 below what a dealer in Minnesota was asking back in September, salesman told me there was NO WAY they'd be able to do it. I left my contact info and told him I was also looking at a few others and if anything changed to let me know. Six days later he called and could do $1200 and they'd handle delivery cost.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 PM
69L48Z27
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

Play them all against each other.

Cash today only means they don't have to deal with bad credit. Just means you'll be identified as a buyer immediately.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 PM
NormK
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Even small dealers make money if you finance through them (back-end gross, versus the front-end gross they make on the vehicle itself).

For this reason, telling a dealer you're a cash buyer is almost always the best way to convince them to hang on to as much of the front-end as they can since they'll have no opportunity to make any back-end.

On the other hand (this is particularly true if you're negotiating with large/new cars dealerships where they have many separate departments), the opposite is often true: let them think you're financing and the sales guys will give up more of the front end, knowing they'll get it back on the back end. Then, once they've printed the contract, simply ask them to show you the amount financed. Once they do that, tell them you've decided to just write them a check for the full amount.

If you're trying to save money, never throw out the "I'm a cash buyer" line.

_
The following 3 users liked this post by NormK:
FX VETTE (04-26-2017), the kid C6 (04-27-2017), The Rabbi (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I let my wife negotiate cars. She is so annoying the salesman give her cars at cost just to get her out of their office. :LOL:
The following 2 users liked this post by Crosis:
Jeff T. (04-29-2017), vetintheblood (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:33 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
I let my wife negotiate cars. She is so annoying the salesman give her cars at cost just to get her out of their office. :LOL:
Is that what she's been telling you about how she gets all these good deals?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:37 AM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I suspect that many used car dealers list their asking price 10 to 15 percent more than they will settle for--- if you show yourself to be serious about the purchase.

Last edited by phoneman91; 04-27-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:46 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

let them be happy to write all the financing they want as long as their is no prepay penalty.
And you're hitting them at the perfect time, end of the month...leave your number and walk....they will call.
Plenty of people willing to deal out there, be patient.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:16 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Before you buy, educate yourself. Know all about the year vette
you want , know the retail and wholesale prices for your area.
Never get so hooked on one car, be ready and able to walk away from
the wrong deal. The dealer wants you to be so enamored with a car that you lose reason. I like to negotiate on my feet and not
sitting down. The dealer realizes that you are ready to walk with the
wrong deal. And it's ok to hit the street , if you are a real player
the dealer will be calling you as soon as you get home.
Good luck, remember you are paying the freight, you have the
cash.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:59 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

They will always let you walk out and call you later with a lower price. The important thing is when you get to the finance office threy will try to sell you a bunch of crap you don't need. The best thing you can do is say no to everything they offer you in the finance office.

Oh and don't forget that the dealer makes money by selling you the loan at a higher interest rate than the bank offers it. So let's say the bank offers 3.4 percent they will tell you they got you a loan for 4.2 percent and the bank will pay the dealer the difference every month.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I watched people buy cars for 40 years of owning and operating new car dealerships. The biggest mistake I saw made was not buying the right used car...not paying too much for it. The car bought, especially Corvettes, will be around long after the $1,000 saved purchasing it has been spent. First, make sure the car you are purchasing is the best one available in the price range you are willing to spend.

No matter how good a negotiator you think you are and no matter how many "How To" articles you have read...these guys are better. Even the rookie salesman has seen more deals after the first month than you will make in a lifetime. The only real thing that counts is what is the car actually worth. It is worth what you can purchase a like car for. Seldom less and never more.

Do your homework on price by researching on-line what the cars are selling for, what guide values are that you can find, and any actual sales you can verify. Find the car you are satisfied owning and make a legitimate offer based on your research. Sales people are not worrying about selling financing, warranties, etc. until they can first sell a car. That sale is the start of them being able to pay their bills. No car sale...no financing done!

Do not just pick a random price and stick to it like offering $16,000 for a car they are asking $18,000 for. Maybe the car is really worth $20,000 or maybe it is worth $12,000. Make an offer based on your knowledge and the quality of the car. Be flexible. The greatest sin a dealer can commit is to sell a car too cheap. Conversely, passing on a great car for a few hundred dollars is not smart for the buyer either. There are always more of them around but they may or may not be the one you like. Yes, often it is good strategy to walk out when they won't meet your price. Then again they may or may not call you and they may or may not sell the car to the next guy in the door.
The following users liked this post:
vetintheblood (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

They might have $5000.00 in any C-5 Corvette on any lot .. Believe it or not ,we have GM salesmen in our Club have been in the club for years they tell us the real deal .. This is how they do it on a trade in we will give you $10.000-$12,000 for the C-5 on a new car so they say we have all this money in the C-5 NOT . They over priced the new whatever and AXXXX like they we giving the guy big money for the Corvette but not really just took off some of the mark up off the new whatever . Offer a fare price and tell them to call and walk away if they think you really want in it they will play you like a fish on the line .. Been buying and selling for years.. They will might keep the Corvette for 30 days and if can't get move it its going to the sale ..

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to neg. with dealer

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 69L48Z27
Play them all against each other.

Cash today only means they don't have to deal with bad credit. Just means you'll be identified as a buyer immediately.
Yep play them against each other. Just got my new Toyota 86 and emailed all the dealerships in a 100 mile radius for best price quote before even leaving my house. Took the best quote and drove 70 miles. On the way got one slightly better and the dealership I was driving too matched it when I got in the door.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I watched people buy cars for 40 years of owning and operating new car dealerships. The biggest mistake I saw made was not buying the right used car...not paying too much for it. The car bought, especially Corvettes, will be around long after the $1,000 saved purchasing it has been spent. First, make sure the car you are purchasing is the best one available in the price range you are willing to spend.

No matter how good a negotiator you think you are and no matter how many "How To" articles you have read...these guys are better. Even the rookie salesman has seen more deals after the first month than you will make in a lifetime. The only real thing that counts is what is the car actually worth. It is worth what you can purchase a like car for. Seldom less and never more.

Do your homework on price by researching on-line what the cars are selling for, what guide values are that you can find, and any actual sales you can verify. Find the car you are satisfied owning and make a legitimate offer based on your research. Sales people are not worrying about selling financing, warranties, etc. until they can first sell a car. That sale is the start of them being able to pay their bills. No car sale...no financing done!

Do not just pick a random price and stick to it like offering $16,000 for a car they are asking $18,000 for. Maybe the car is really worth $20,000 or maybe it is worth $12,000. Make an offer based on your knowledge and the quality of the car. Be flexible. The greatest sin a dealer can commit is to sell a car too cheap. Conversely, passing on a great car for a few hundred dollars is not smart for the buyer either. There are always more of them around but they may or may not be the one you like. Yes, often it is good strategy to walk out when they won't meet your price. Then again they may or may not call you and they may or may not sell the car to the next guy in the door.

Spoken like a true salesman.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:53 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by old jack

Thanks Jack
That's precisely the way I negotiate deals.

A Corvette is a luxury, not a MUST HAVE.. Give them a reasonable offer and if they say no, write down your name and phone number and hand it to the sales person. Tell them if they get ready to deal, give you a call. That normally does two things (1) Let's them know you are serious. (2) Shows them you are not an impulse or emotional buyer.

Too many people are impulse buyers who buy on their emotions. Good salesmen and saleswomen can read you. If they know you want something so bad you can taste it, they can and often do take you for a ride.

Of course there are times you see your dream in the flesh and then it does not matter if you pay a little too much. Like I said, good salespeople know how to read you, so once they see the twinkle, they are not likely to discount it very much. In other words, if you are not willing to walk, chances are you won't.

Don't drive up in a dog of a car. That says, "I need a good car." Don't wear dirty or ragged clothes, that says "I will buy on payments". Act kool, don't drool. That says "I have to have this".

Don't focus on a single car. That says, "I got em where I want them." Do your homework, know how much the car(s) you are looking at should cost. Be firm.

Always offer a little under what you know the market value is, because they are going to want to get as much out of you as they can, and let them feel like they have moved the barometer in their favor a notch or two. However, don't move too quickly. That says, "he knows it was a ridiculous offer and is willing to pay more."

If the salesperson starts dragging the negotiation out, be polite and thank them for their time and be willing to leave. That says, "They have a breaking point and game playing isn't going to work." They will usually turn it over to a manager to try and bring you back.

Finally be prepared to walk and do. If you are going to be able to make a deal on that day, they won't let you leave. However, if they start going through a protracted negotiation all over again, LEAVE. That says to me, "they want to play games and waste my time."

Quick Reply: Best way to neg. with dealer