Sponsored by:

Not registered unable to test drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 AM
old jack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not registered unable to test drive

Went and looked at a 98 with just over 45000 miles, very clean. He is asking $18000. I wasn't able to drive it because it's not registered. It's going to need tires. I offered $15000 cash on the spot. because unable to drive. He came back with $17500 lowest he would go. Told him I have to pass on it. Would you buy without driving?

Jack
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Never. Not even a brand new car at the dealership.

Guy probably did you a favor by not accepting your offer. Anyone not willing to allow a potential buyer to drive the car is likely hiding something. Move on...
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

I would not buy without a drive.

Then again, I would probably bring my own plates or something along those lines to give it a test drive.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

I bought my 98 with similar miles last summer without driving it. We fired it up, I poked around and went over all his maintenance records. I had a lot of comfort in it because he had owned it for quite a while and was dealer maintained. He even had all the maintenance from the previous original owner. It was also clean as a whistle. That was my situation if it helps. He also had a recent car history report.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

That's way too much for a 98.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

First - I would never buy a car without driving it...I find it ODD that a guy selling a car would not register it, so it can't be driven...also, what would it hurt to at least just drive around the local area - not like your speeding and getting a ticket...

Second - that price is WAY high...according to Corvette DNA:

In EXCELLENT condition:

Auto: $11,000

Manual: $12,250

The price he is asking is for a SHOW condition car...maybe it is or its rare in some way...but if its only in EXCELLENT condition...walk and keep looking or download Corvette DNA on your phone and show the seller so he knows your coming to him with an educated offer - not just low-balling him.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Mayor111; 05-04-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
That's way too much for a 98.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would not buy without a test drive. That seller did not prepare very well to sell that car.

And IMO, the values listed by Corvette DNA are rather low. NADA is usually what I use and at least for my car, there is close to a $5K difference in pricing.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:17 AM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the whole not registered reason for no test drive is a bunch of BS. It's highly unlikely you're going to get pulled over during the test drive, and if you did, it's highly unlikely the LEO would issue you a Ticket.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

In Virginia, we can buy a 3-day trip permit from the DMV website for $5 bucks. You can use it to buy a vehicle and drive it home, or test drive, or whatever. You have to be a Virginia Resident to buy it though.

Perhaps your DMV/BMV has similar, and then the seller can't shut you down because you are legal to drive it. I could see no test drive because it's not insured, but that's just a phone call away too.

No test drive.
No buy.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Does the state allow for "Trip Permits"? These are temporary licenses that are good for a few days. That would have mande a test drive possible and completely legal.

Maybe the guy didn't want to pay for another year's registration knowing that he was going to sell the car?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
In Virginia, we can buy a 3-day trip permit from the DMV website for $5 bucks. You can use it to buy a vehicle and drive it home, or test drive, or whatever. You have to be a Virginia Resident to buy it though.
Its $5 in PA too - you do NOT have to be a PA resident...its just a plain temporary registration to get the buyer home legally.

Last edited by Mayor111; 05-04-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

No way
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by waupachino
I think the whole not registered reason for no test drive is a bunch of BS. It's highly unlikely you're going to get pulled over during the test drive, and if you did, it's highly unlikely the LEO would issue you a Ticket.
When I purchased my C4 many years ago. A took a Buddy of mine that is a mechanic and my wife to look at the car. I never even thought to ask if the car was registered. It had a plate on the rear. My buddy and I went out for a test drive. I drove it maybe 3 or 4 miles out and then I switched and my buddy drove it. It was nearing Dusk so my buddy flipped the headlights on and they wouldn't flip up all the way. We got pulled over almost immediately after we switched for the headlights. (it wasn't even dark out) Cop asked for ins and reg....I explained my buddy was testdriving the car for me and I didn't have any of that info. The cop followed us back to the private owners house where when I got out of the car my wife immediately started yelling at me that if this is how its going to be no way am I buying the car. The ahole cop wrote my buddy tickets for....No reg, no inspection, no insurance and something to do with improper equipment (headlights) all of which of course I had to pay because he was doing me a favor. Cop said it is the drivers responsibility to know if the car is road worthy and registered....I was so pissed....I did end up buying the car and negotiated the price with the cost of all the tickets....That being said....I wouldn't have purchased it without being able to drive it...
Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 AM
caddman11
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

To much money and nope even thought I didn't drive mine either. Bought mine from a Chevy dealer and the owner of the dealership took me out it in and pretty much did anything to it I asked short of burnouts (I didn't ask for that). I can appreciate this with the one owner, super clean car I bought--no freakin' tire kickers trying to burn the tires off.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

With the combination of miles even though fairly low, and age I would not drive it without a test drive and that is notwithstanding the price which I think is too high. Considering price, I would pass on this one.

I bought my '02 with 19K on it without a test drive cause the deal was too good to pass up. I knew I was taking a big chance but I had it shipped here from Wisconsin and it exceeded my expectations in every area. The only surprise I got from not test driving was how loud the interior was. I did a really thorough noise deadening treatment and it is now the perfect car for me. I say search out a better deal, IMHO.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I think you dodged a bullet, for those prices you can get an '01 and up.

Get notified of new replies

To Not registered unable to test drive

Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 537 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by waupachino
He's from MA. It's HIGHLY likely he'd get pulled over and the car towed and driver ticketed with no plates. They could attach a plate from something else, but IF pulled over then, now there's additional fines.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

Perhaps your DMV/BMV has similar, and then the seller can't shut you down because you are legal to drive it. I could see no test drive because it's not insured, but that's just a phone call away too.

No test drive.
No buy.
Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Does the state allow for "Trip Permits"? These are temporary licenses that are good for a few days. That would have mande a test drive possible and completely legal.

Maybe the guy didn't want to pay for another year's registration knowing that he was going to sell the car?
Originally Posted by Mayor111
Its $5 in PA too - you do NOT have to be a PA resident...its just a plain temporary registration to get the buyer home legally.
No such luck here in MA. No temp tags or the like. The RMV and insurance companies are linked too. In order to get plates, you need an insurance stamp. In order to get insurance, you need to pay 20% of the annual premium.... too much of a PIA just for a few "test drives".

Now, not to say depending on where the car is, that it couldn't be taken for a short ride. Or, if you (or the seller) knows a repair show or car dealer, you may be able to borrow their plate.

Old Jack, I agree, $18k seems pretty steep for a '98. I bought my '99 vert last summer for $13.5k. It was clean, stock, almost 60k miles. I see plenty of high C5's on the local Craigslist and lots, and they're still for sale for a reason. There are always C5's popping up, and priced right. If this one didn't want to budge, I'd suggest to keep looking.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by caddman11
To much money and nope even thought I didn't drive mine either. Bought mine from a Chevy dealer and the owner of the dealership took me out it in and pretty much did anything to it I asked short of burnouts (I didn't ask for that). I can appreciate this with the one owner, super clean car I bought--no freakin' tire kickers trying to burn the tires off.
Caddman11 brings up a good point to clarify. If the owner of the car will take you for a drive - that's fine. Im selling my 94 and I dont let anyone drive it until they have cash in their hand - but I will take them for a test drive (meaning Im driving).

I think the OP was stating that this seller is not allowing the car to move - regardless of the driver...cause its not registered - and that is why everyone is saying walk away...
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

.... not even if I were spending your monies. Run don't walk from that scam

Quick Reply: Not registered unable to test drive