Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

potentially world first supershift autoflex C5

Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default potentially world first supershift autoflex C5

and it's the first time i've ever sprayed, and i did it in my garage. this is pre cut and buff, which i'll do later this week or weekend. just wanted to show what a color shifted c5 can look like.

wont lie, its not entirely what i was expecting, but its different and i dig it. and it's a "liquid wrap" so it can be peeled off like plasti dip later on.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,207 Likes on 13,924 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That is different. Post up more pics when you get it out of the garage.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:36 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I knid of like it. How much?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:50 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
That is different. Post up more pics when you get it out of the garage.
Need more pictures
Old 05-10-2017, 05:51 PM
zeevette
Race Director

I'm sure you saved some money by using Home Depot vents on the hood.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I'm sure you saved some money by using Home Depot vents on the hood.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
sean.b (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Its like plasti dip but you can sand and buff it?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexerER
Its like plasti dip but you can sand and buff it?

That would be my question also.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:54 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
That would be my question also.
yea, you can. its a weird blurring of lines between plasti dip and real paint.

and those are Trackspec louvers, not something from home depot. and the rear diffuser is Caravaggio, not Lowes. but good job keeping the status quo of a snide response on every front page of every posting where modifications are involved.

i chose this route because
a) it looks good (or.. well.. whatever i ended up with. its definitely different.)
b) if the car hits a tire wall or another car, i can buy ANY color body panel, spray it, bolt it up, and it matches again

so instead of vinyl thats pretty expensive and a total headache to DIY, i just load up an HVLP and in a few hours it's done.

kind of busy with the day job, and it's rainy here this week, but i'll push it out this weekend and bolt everything back up to it.

I knid of like it. How much?
something like $800 in materials? if i had foregone the weird color shift, it'd be as cheap as $340 or so for a solid color & shine. foregoing the shine, something like $200. but i refused to look like another rattle can hero.

Last edited by sean.b; 05-11-2017 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
z06801 (02-28-2022)
Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by sean.b
yea, you can. its a weird blurring of lines between plasti dip and real paint.

and those are Trackspec louvers, not something from home depot. and the rear diffuser is Caravaggio, not Lowes. but good job keeping the status quo of a snide response on every front page of every posting where modifications are involved.

i chose this route because
a) it looks good (or.. well.. whatever i ended up with. its definitely different.)
b) if the car hits a tire wall or another car, i can buy ANY color body panel, spray it, bolt it up, and it matches again

so instead of vinyl thats pretty expensive and a total headache to DIY, i just load up an HVLP and in a few hours it's done.

kind of busy with the day job, and it's rainy here this week, but i'll push it out this weekend and bolt everything back up to it.

something like $800 in materials? if i had foregone the weird color shift, it'd be as cheap as $340 or so for a solid color & shine. foregoing the shine, something like $200. but i refused to look like another rattle can hero.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Not my cup of tea, but if you like t, that's all that matters.

Bob.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:51 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by calguy
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Not my cup of tea, but if you like t, that's all that matters.

Bob.
i honestly thought it'd be more orange/yellow.. car started life yellow. if it was like $400 i'd probably peel this and try another one, but for $800 i'll let it take a few hits first

but yea, i fully accept that the corvette crowd is probably the least owner modding crowd around. believe me if you dont like this, you dont want to see it all aero bolted up for track use
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Vetnutts
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how many gallons did you use? Have you test peeled? Autoflex can be tricky to peel if not sprayed right. Hope you taped the edges everywhere. Getting overspray off is a pain since it doesn't peel and is more durable than dip.

Post More pics at dusk. I was gonna rail mine but the cars still new to me so I'll wait. I have a colorshift TL
Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vetnutts
how many gallons did you use? Have you test peeled? Autoflex can be tricky to peel if not sprayed right. Hope you taped the edges everywhere. Getting overspray off is a pain since it doesn't peel and is more durable than dip.

Post More pics at dusk. I was gonna rail mine but the cars still new to me so I'll wait. I have a colorshift TL
all said and done, i think.. 6?

1 primer gallon
2 black gallons
~2 clear
1 gloss

ok so maybe 5?

and yea i test peeled it when i screwed up a rear view. and that one only had ~3 layers on it at the time and peeled super easy. and yea i can post pics of the prep i had, but i spent a couple of hours prepping it after washing it, so maybe 3 total prep hours. believe me i didnt half *** this :P a lot of back masking, a lot of those little pieces of tape designed to get under trim, etc.

did you autoflex the TL? my ex wife had an '05 TL.. not a bad car if you forgive it for being fwd.

Last edited by sean.b; 05-12-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:56 AM
sean.b
Drifting

about to push it out into the sun for some free ez-bake oven action. the rear looks weird because i have the diffuser off for some modifications to it before bolting it back up. going to reinforce it with an aluminum band and tensioner rods. including a pic of that before the paint to give an idea as to what the rear will eventually look like again.

Last edited by sean.b; 05-12-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:04 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vetnutts

the prep work was probably the worst part. because you HAVE to do it, but you're just dying to spray. probably why a lot of paint jobs suck, too, though, is because it's mostly about the prep. the spraying struck me was incredibly easy, and I'm an IT guy by trade.

one photo shows the prep that went into the front, the other shows it with a layer of primer down resulting in an interesting matte yellow finish. i almost digged that.

the next coat was a black base for the pearl to stand out against. i actually REALLY thought the black was cool. spraying this with an HVLP gives you much better results than these tiger stripped textured high schooler's cars you see rolling around with plasti dip.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:05 PM
zeevette
Race Director

You will not go unnoticed. Crazy over the top for me, but striking, non the less.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:07 PM
sean.b
Drifting

You will not go unnoticed. Crazy over the top for me, but striking, non the less.
thanks. and yea.. i was going for something different but not over the top, and i ended up with this. oops? at least i learned to spray in the process, haha. next time will probably be far more subtle.

Get notified of new replies

To potentially world first supershift autoflex C5

Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Sean, you said " all I have to do is load up an Hvlp and in a few hours your done"? I'm impressed, confused and intrigued! So prep doesn't involve sanding? It can be polished? With what? Does it feel hard to the touch? If/when you peel it the original paint will be ok?
I love the color!(s)
Color shift me dumbfounded!
Old 05-12-2017, 03:45 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Originally Posted by chasboy
Sean, you said " all I have to do is load up an Hvlp and in a few hours your done"? I'm impressed, confused and intrigued! So prep doesn't involve sanding? It can be polished? With what? Does it feel hard to the touch? If/when you peel it the original paint will be ok?
I love the color!(s)
Color shift me dumbfounded!
I know, it's bizarre. I dont even see a reason to use real paint, at least not for race applications. It can be treated just like paint with regard to the top layer of gloss - wetsanded, buffed, etc.

Prep involved a rigorous washing, bigass xylene and naptha bath, and letting it dry. Then it was prep and spray time. Feels hard to the touch, and can be peeled similar to plasti dip (although obviously not QUITE as easily.. shops charge $200-400 just to peel it off).

Here's my first sun pics. Having hell getting the aero back on, because I forgot there's a specific order, so thats not bolted back up. But if you're here for the paint, nobody cares about that.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Vetnutts
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks way better outside! Is that iron man? What shift is it? I wanted to do invictus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: potentially world first supershift autoflex C5