Sponsored by:

spark plug wire sleeves installation question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Default spark plug wire sleeves installation question

When I changed the valve springs last Sunday I also replaced the plug wires. Two of the wires on the left side (#s 3 and 5) were very close to touching a metal tube that runs out of the exhaust manifold and curves and goes toward the firewall, so I installed heat shielding sleeves over all eight plug wires. Unfortunately, there were no instructions with them. They won't fit over or into the factory metal heat shields, so my question is: Do these sleeves butt up against the metal shielding tubes over the plugs or do they replace them? It appears they would work either way although I now have them installed in place of the metal shielding tubes. Rather then spend all day trying this or that, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by glbeauchamp
When I changed the valve springs last Sunday I also replaced the plug wires. Two of the wires on the left side (#s 3 and 5) were very close to touching a metal tube that runs out of the exhaust manifold and curves and goes toward the firewall, so I installed heat shielding sleeves over all eight plug wires. Unfortunately, there were no instructions with them. They won't fit over or into the factory metal heat shields, so my question is: Do these sleeves butt up against the metal shielding tubes over the plugs or do they replace them? It appears they would work either way although I now have them installed in place of the metal shielding tubes. Rather then spend all day trying this or that, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows. Thanks in advance.
Please disregard. I reinstalled the tubes and slid the sleeves down to cover any gaps between the wire and tube. Now I see a great need to train a strong octopus to work his tentacles into the miniscule gaps between the motor and wheel well on the driver's side. My hands are all torn up from forcing them through said gaps to unplug and plug in the wires.

Quick Reply: spark plug wire sleeves installation question