Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flats !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Fun fact, run flats statistically have twice as many blowouts as regular tires.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:50 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Fun fact, run flats statistically have twice as many blowouts as regular tires.
Lots of BMWs end up with cracked wheels because of them too due to the stiff sidewall. The run flats on my 335i were terrible.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Black 02
Lots of BMWs end up with cracked wheels because of them too due to the stiff sidewall. The run flats on my 335i were terrible.
True that, my weak magnesium rims probably wouldn't handle the abuse well either.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have had nothing but run-flats on mine for 17 years.

2 sets of GYRFs
1 set of Michelins A/S ZPs
1 set of Michelin A/S ZP Plus

I never drive outside a 20 mile radius, so the Run-Flats serve me well. I have had a number of flats - at least one or two in every set of tires I have had above - mainly do to roofing nails from hail storms around here. Most have been repairable (especially on the GYRFs).

The C5 is my only car and I have told the story before, but I got one flat on the way to the Emergency Room one night trying to meet my Mother before she passed away. Without run-flats, I would not have made it in time. I also have had a couple flats while trying to get to Fed-Ex at the airport to meet a shipping deadline for clients that would have cost me thousands of dollars had I not made the cutoff time.

If you never have to drive your car where getting to a destination by a certain time is critical, I get it (if you don't mind laying on the side of the road trying to find a leak or waiting for AAA). In my case, Run Flats have been one of the best inventions ever for a daily street car.

Here is on flat I got right after I put on a new set of Michelins - unrepairable - they replaced it at no charge at Discount Tire...

The following users liked this post:
gmbal4 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:15 AM
gmbal4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I think it all comes down to, do you really drive your car, or do you just float about, polish it and go to shows, etc. I drive mine. All year round, all weathers. And due to where I live, I have to drive on highways (I81, I70) where you do not want to be futzing around with a flat on the shoulder, otherwise you may well get wiped out by a dozy trucker - happens (too) frequently.

So, I have RF's, Michelins to be precise, and yes they are harsher but they are safer, because whatever happens, I will always be able to drive to the next exit and deal with the problem safely. And I carry a repair kit and compressor for "minor" problems.

In 20 years of ownership using run flats, I have never had any of the drama some commenters predict. Fact is, if you get a hole in the sidewall, with a run flat you can get off the highway or drive home if you are close. Non run flat, you better have a spare on board. And get the other side of the guard rail.

Your life, your call.
WOW !!! Amazing someone with some sense like I said earlier I`m SOLD on Run Flats ....PERIOD !!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:19 AM
gmbal4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
I have had nothing but run-flats on mine for 17 years.

2 sets of GYRFs
1 set of Michelins A/S ZPs
1 set of Michelin A/S ZP Plus

I never drive outside a 20 mile radius, so the Run-Flats serve me well. I have had a number of flats - at least one or two in every set of tires I have had above - mainly do to roofing nails from hail storms around here. Most have been repairable (especially on the GYRFs).

The C5 is my only car and I have told the story before, but I got one flat on the way to the Emergency Room one night trying to meet my Mother before she passed away. Without run-flats, I would not have made it in time. I also have had a couple flats while trying to get to Fed-Ex at the airport to meet a shipping deadline for clients that would have cost me thousands of dollars had I not made the cutoff time.

If you never have to drive your car where getting to a destination by a certain time is critical, I get it (if you don't mind laying on the side of the road trying to find a leak or waiting for AAA). In my case, Run Flats have been one of the best inventions ever for a daily street car.

Here is on flat I got right after I put on a new set of Michelins - unrepairable - they replaced it at no charge at Discount Tire...

Amen Sir !!! the best thing going since sliced bread I`ll never have another tire on my car other than Run Flats !!!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by gmbal4
WOW !!! Amazing someone with some sense like I said earlier I`m SOLD on Run Flats ....PERIOD !!
What an elitist attitude you have there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tsumi:
Crosis (05-25-2017), LoneStarFRC (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:05 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Runflats were created for women that can not handle a simple problem like a punctured tire and to sell more tires.
Crosis (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Runflats were created for women that can not handle a simple problem like a punctured tire and to sell more tires.
No one cares about your opinion on run flats. Obviously you have nothing to add about run-flats after a statement like that.

Last edited by Fcar 98; 05-25-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

My justification against runflats is simple. The C5 is a world class sports car with immense handling prowess. If you put a run flat on it (aka a terrible sport driving tire) you break its legs. Whats the point of all that good suspension underneath if you're just going to put a tire on it that doesn't let you use it to it's potential and an added bonus makes the ride rough and loud...
vetintheblood (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm a woman, I don't have run flats. I have an air compressor with my jump pack in the rear compartment with the CD changer, and I have a AAA membership. I think run flats have a lot more to do with compliance with regulations than female drivers. They let manufacturers skip a traditional spare... and they wear out faster than traditional rubber, so you know the tire companies love them for extra replacement cost.

Run Flat tires also aren't really a matter of belief. They weigh a ton and their rigidity makes them appallingly bad for any performance driving application, with the possible exception of sliding all over the place. Run Flats are like the F45 or F55 Suspension, you can try and justify it however you want, but it's a terrible performance option if for no other reason than weight (There are other reasons too, but the F45 dampers weigh roughly five times as much as the traditional damper options). Unsprung weight is kind of important if you're concerned with things like handling...

So yeah, don't blame sports car chicks for run flats, we just call AAA and proceed to waste time on the phone with friends until the flatbed shows up. That is the stereotype
Old 05-25-2017, 10:14 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by gmbal4
WOW !!! Amazing someone with some sense like I said earlier I'm SOLD on Run Flats ....PERIOD !!

When I was still working full-time, my route to work had me on an Interstate that was also used by trucks hauling crushed wrecks, on flatbed trailers, to the scrap yard. Those trailers dropped a lot of debris on the road.

I, as well as a number of my co-workers, experienced punctured tires, over the years. There was NO FREAKING WAY, that I was screwing with trying to "fix" a punctured tire on the side of the road. My C-5 has the Michelin run-flats.....
gmbal4 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scylla
I'm a woman, I don't have run flats. I have an air compressor with my jump pack in the rear compartment with the CD changer, and I have a AAA membership. I think run flats have a lot more to do with compliance with regulations than female drivers. They let manufacturers skip a traditional spare... and they wear out faster than traditional rubber, so you know the tire companies love them for extra replacement cost.

Run Flat tires also aren't really a matter of belief. They weigh a ton and their rigidity makes them appallingly bad for any performance driving application, with the possible exception of sliding all over the place. Run Flats are like the F45 or F55 Suspension, you can try and justify it however you want, but it's a terrible performance option if for no other reason than weight (There are other reasons too, but the F45 dampers weigh roughly five times as much as the traditional damper options). Unsprung weight is kind of important if you're concerned with things like handling...

So yeah, don't blame sports car chicks for run flats, we just call AAA and proceed to waste time on the phone with friends until the flatbed shows up. That is the stereotype
You are obviously a woman that can handle a simple problem like a punctured tire.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:11 AM
kcobain147
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

It's also worth pointing out that runflat or not, no tire repair shop will ( or at least should - i've never found one) repair a sidewall. So the comment earlier about repairing it in this case is a farce. Can't repair sidewall damage, run flat or not. At that point, the tire is structurally compromised.

And honestly - do you really want to "drive" as you guys put it your car (again run flat or not) and push it on a patched tire (tread or otherwise?). I wouldn't trust it putting the car through its paces.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:20 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kcobain147
It's also worth pointing out that runflat or not, no tire repair shop will ( or at least should - i've never found one) repair a sidewall. So the comment earlier about repairing it in this case is a farce. Can't repair sidewall damage, run flat or not. At that point, the tire is structurally compromised.

And honestly - do you really want to "drive" as you guys put it your car (again run flat or not) and push it on a patched tire (tread or otherwise?). I wouldn't trust it putting the car through its paces.
It was established by the OPs account that the sidewall damage was caused by driving on the flat tire. He punctured the tire earlier. Had he inflated the tire when the low pressure light came on, he could have probably made it home and he would not be buying new tires. Driving any distance on a deflated run flat destroys the structural integrity and ruins the tire. It is not recommended to drive a run flat after a blow out, only for punctures. They will come apart and tear your car up.
As for patching tires, when done right, they are are as safe as a new tire and will last the life of the tire.

Last edited by JR-01; 05-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

It was established by the OPs account that the sidewall damage was caused by driving on the flat tire. He punctured the tire earlier. Had he inflated the tire when the low pressure light came on, he could have probably made it home and he would not be buying new tires. Driving any distance on a deflated run flat destroys the structural integrity and ruins the tire. It is not recommended to drive a run flat after a blow out, only for punctures. They will come apart and tear your car up.
As for patching tires, when done right, they are are as safe as a new tire and will last the life of the tire.
Nowhere in the OP's statements does he say that the blow out was caused to the lack of air in the tire when he hit the pot hole. The sensor came on after he hit the pot hole.
gmbal4 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

I do understand the reasons why people like or dislike run flats. Over the last 20 years the technology has improved greatly compared to the goodyears that came on these cars. And if those tires are what you base your opinion on it is out dated. I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ZP on my car. They are the latest when it comes to run flats. Day and night compared to the early generations of run flat Technology. Im not here to tell anyone what to but on their cars. Just to give my experiences with these tires. And certainly not my opinion about what i find on Google. Nothing is as bad as they say or as good as they say.

Last edited by Fcar 98; 05-25-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flats !!!!

Old 05-25-2017, 12:34 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fcar 98
Nowhere in the OP's statements does he say that the blow out was caused to the lack of air in the tire when he hit the pot hole. The sensor came on after he hit the pot hole.
Post #6 basically says that.
LoneStarFRC (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:41 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So the damage to the tire probably happened while you were driving home on it flat. You would have lost all pressure instantly with a gaping hole like that and you would have heard the blowout. So now you have to buy 2 new runflat tires, instead of inflating the low tire, drive home and get it patched for twenty bucks. This flat tire will cost you 500 bucks.
Run flats don't go 'flat' - that's why they're called run flats. A run flat tire can have all the air gone out of it and it will still look, and drive, normal. So the damage in OP case couldn't have been done while driving without any air. It driven more than 50 miles or at a higher speed than specified then tire will overheat and start to come apart.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:47 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Here is why I will never have runflats. If you have a puncture and drive any distance at all tire shops will not repair it and you have to buy a new tire, probably 2 to match it. Since most tire shops will not have your tire, it could take days or weeks to get one. My neighbor waited a week to replace a punctured runflat on his BMW. The shop would not patch it. Certainly not worth twice the price of regular tires.

You are lucky that run flat did not come apart and tear your car up. Sometimes they will with sidewall damage like that. Was that tire damage caused from driving on it flat or did you have a blowout?
I've never had a problem with any tire shop patching up a runflat.

Quick Reply: Run Flats !!!!