C5 vs. C6 Corvette Comparison Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 546 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
Thanks for making the video. I've seen it twice as I consider skipping the C5 to get a C6. I find the C5 exterior more attractive from every angle. So I need to decide if the superior engine and paddle shifters are worth the extra coin.

I wonder if the build quality of the C6 is noticeable better than the C5.
Here is one of the comments I received on the video. Interesting...

"Keith Kelly - 2 weeks ago - 0 subscribers
I own a C-5 and sell Chevrolet for a living. Fit and finish goes to the C-5 all day. The interiors of the C-6 are full of rattles and the interior look is like that of a cheap commuter car. The LS2 is nice but i can't handle the cheap interior on the C-6.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by calguy
The C6 butt looks exactly like what they did to it, a hack job of the C5.
Looks like they took a sawsall, and cut the butt in half.
So, between those God awful head lights, and the chopped butt, the C6 is not a winner in my mind.

Bob.
It still amazes me that some like hate the butt of the c5 & c6. At least with blondes and brunettes most like both but prefer one over the other....
Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5
Interesting, more people like the C5 butt vs the C6 than I expected.

I actually like the C6 butt better than that of the C5 when looking at them from the rear, but when I look at the C6 from the side, it looks too short front to back...
Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
I watched this video a few weeks ago

The one thing I disagree with you on is the interior , the C6 is the clear winner in that category

The other category that you didn't mention is the size of both cars, the base C6 is tiny and looks like a girls car if it isn't modified (lowered, wheels , widebody etc...)

Does the girl come with it?
Old 06-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp1588
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvkJzYHCdHI&t=206s
Anyone else a fan of Regular Car Reviews? Here's a comprehensive guide to which Corvette is best Corvette.
This is definitely the best Corvette.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 818 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Since my 1999 c5 , I've owned a c5 z06 and then with the advent of the ls3 I bought a new c6 z51...

The front end of the c5 from a styling perspective is clearly the winner. I've always hated the headlights on the c6. I've also always hated all the black trim pieces on the c6 which is why I chose a new c6 in black.

Minimized the ugly headlight bulb and bucket design and the black exterior color minimized the various black accents like the door pull mechanism trim etc..

The shorter overhangs of the c6 were what made the c6 more contemporary looking.

The long overhangs both front but especially in the rear end styling are reallly what dates the c5 design.

Still by going to larger diameter wheels the c5 still remains extremely contemporary.

Performance wise? The c6 is clearly the better drivers car. I will say my 500 hp cam headers gears c5 z06 was the more engaging and more race car like driving experience but those mods ruined the car in my opinion.

Just couldn't hold up to daily driving tasks..for the weekend Driver while I had another daily driver the modded c5 z06 was awesome but when out into daily driver duty...the modded c5 z06 fell apart at 12k miles per year and I sold it off to ecs and purchased a new c6 z51.

110k miles later? The c6 z51 manual has been utterly reliable and the best sports car from a reliability standpoint ..I can't bring myself to sell it.

This thing just keeps amazing me with its balance of performance and reliability and low running costs to maintain.

I have since ourchased the tinted plastic to overlay the one design flaw that annoys me with the c6 ...but fear of cracking because of the headlight tint keeps that tint package for the headlights on the shelf.

My headlights never fogged up so I just haven't moved forward on installing the tint.

There was a guy who owned an identical black c6 in town and he had his headlights covered in black and it makes the car look bad ***...

But as you mentioned at a grand each for aheadliht.....I'd want to kill myself if I installed the the tint package I have only to crack the headlights so I am still holding off installing...

Interesting review video and thanks for sharing...

Fwiw I still love the design of the c5. If I hadn't modded the c5 z06 and it caused me so many headaches...I would still have it. I loved that car.

Best of luck with yours.

If I were giving advice and your not a sun whorshiper like me..I'd suggest if you ever do buy a c6...

Go for the c6 z06...it's an awesome value and I believe it's near the bottom of the depreciation curve.

I also don't believe all the fear mongering against the ls7 engine.

A lot of "tuners" made a lot of money off of people's internet fears...

If I owned a c6 z06 I'd refresh the heads st 130k miles and call it a day.

Id still want to cover those dam headlight bulbs...with tint as they really date the car..

It's the bulbs and the trim around them that I hate...and what's with that orange light stuck in there too..

Just horrible...and I own the car...

Ps Ferrari had something similiar to the corvette c6 headlights in the 360 but it was less offensive and gaudy...that's why I think it's the size and trim around each bulb..

Now that I've said this out loud on the forum I think I'm over the top with hating on the c6 headlights...but since you brought it up on video I thought I'd join you on your introspective of corvette design.

A sign of an engaging and well done video.

Keep up the good work
Man.!.... You're heavy on the hate!... They are Corvettes for the gods sake... no "hate" involved ... Lighten up and live longer... You're driving America's sports car !

Old 06-14-2018, 02:08 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
The only thing worse than the C6 head lights is the clear mod ones that some put on their C5.
They are really disgusting.

Bob.

Add a set of black wheels and the car's looks are completely ruined...
Old 06-14-2018, 02:31 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default First C5

I have owned 16 Corvettes in the last 44 years.
This is my first C5. A 2004 CE coupe with 56k miles on it. I have owned one C7 (seven months...totally disliked the car), eight C6s' (three were GS, 5 verts, 3 coupes, six C3s' (including a 72 LT-1 air coupe I did a body off restore on).
I decided on the C5 because the C2s' are priced too high for me and I don't really care for the C4.
I like the body style of the C5. I think the C5 rides better with the Z-51 than the C6 did with the Z-51. The interior is more interesting than the C6. Still torn between the pop up headlamps. More room in the C5 than the C6. What I miss in the C5 is the MP3 and Nav capability which I am now adding. Miss the Blu-tooth (also being added). Still getting used to having an ignition key Like the fact that a set of tires isn't going to require a loan (especially if you have a GS). The 350 is more than enough engine for me. (My DD is a 17 Mustang GT vert).
All in all, the C5 is much better than a C3 and I prefer it over a C6. I have only had my C5 for 2 months now.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM
gmanflying
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Very nice comparison video. I'm a c5 fan over a the stock c6. However the c6 z06 is another story.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

C6 Hands down is more evolved. You can have some oval tail lights. Interior of C6 is a win. FOB is a win. Door buttons not handles are a win.

Evolved LS engine is a win. LS1's and LS6's are easier to produce more power? I am a skeptic. Are the LS2's and 3's not derived from an LS-1? They certainly are not called LT engines..

LS7 -- probably the last large displacement engine that will ever be in a Vette--you can have your turbos and super chargers with low displacement. These engines cost as much as a used C5Z.

Looks are personal opinions , On looks alone I would take a C4 over a C5, I would take a C5 over a C7. I am a 0% fan of mixing black on paint of cars. I dislike all new cars actually, I think they're all ugly. They put splitters on Nissan Sentras now. The new ZR-1's front end reminds me of a rear end of a civic. I wonder where they found their design.

Screw it all, I vote for the 63 SWC.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I like the C6 paddle shifter when equipped with an auto. Other than that, having tried both, we prefer the C5.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:02 PM
1TonyT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a C5 and a C6, love them both
Driving the C5 I get a lot more thumbs up but I also get them in the C6. The C6 feels a lot better on a long drive, not that the C5 doesn't!
It's like trying to chose between your kids, love them both
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 AM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by 1TonyT
I have a C5 and a C6, love them both
Driving the C5 I get a lot more thumbs up but I also get them in the C6. The C6 feels a lot better on a long drive, not that the C5 doesn't!
It's like trying to chose between your kids, love them both

If you had to sell one of the two right now for fair market value, which one would you sell?

Quick Reply: C5 vs. C6 Corvette Comparison Video