Sponsored by:

How to Learn to Wash & Detail

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:49 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default How to Learn to Wash & Detail

I love washing my cars, I find it therapeutic, but I'm conscious there's a lot more to it than a bucket, sponge and chamois. I wish there was a course, like a day or an afternoon for enthusiasts / by enthusiasts who are not looking to start their own detailing business, but just want to know more about how to foam, wash, dry, polish, wax, buff, correct, cut, clay-bar, shine, their prize and joy (I don't know the difference between half those words).

Yes, there are video's on youtube, but those two dimensional videos are lousy at portraying how to restore a complex 3D surface with depth and feel of the surface.

Does anybody know of such a course? I love to attend something like that where I can learn some of the tricks. I'm in Northville, MI.

/Andy
Old 06-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,109 Likes on 605 Posts

here is a good read
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM
getherejune
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I know Griot's Garage always does stuff like this, and if you sign up they will do a 1 on 1 with you how to use their products for a cut and buff or whatever. But they have their flagship store pretty close to me, and i want to say they only have 1 more actual brick & mortar store somewhere in the east so may not be doable for you (unless you want to roadtrip it!!). I've also used some of the vids on Autogeek that are pretty good (but not what you are looking for as they are videos, but they are pretty good IMO). Good luck, and yeah, coming from someone that used to own a 65 mustang vert show car in BLACK it does definitely make a difference how you do things!!!
jp
Old 06-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

paint on my car was looking pretty ratty last year thought i needed to paint it spent a few days on youtube learning about 3 step compound, wax & polish with a 6" orbiter ran out picked up supply's and went at it happy i did car come out great really wasnt that hard and plus with the orbital polisher its harder to damage the paint then with a buffer

picked up the pads and orbiter from HF and use Meguiar's Ultimate line step 1 Compound, step 2 polish step 3 wax (each use a different firmness pad)

took about 7 hours start to finish
Old 06-02-2017, 05:37 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

sounds like a good business to start
or a source for extra income
Old 06-02-2017, 05:41 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

One thing to always remember...never let anything touch your paint but micro fiber...
Old 06-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sloopdawg
sounds like a good business to start
or a source for extra income
i'm not sure i can do it on a daily bases, i didnt mind doing my car but after 3 - 4 hours i was getting pretty tired
Old 06-02-2017, 06:02 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

probably would be a good course for a community college to offer
Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by sloopdawg
probably would be a good course for a community college to offer
I would imagine that Harvard and Yale offer a 4 year degree program in Detailing. If not, just be patient!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:44 PM
hornet7
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Car Detail

Originally Posted by AndyDove
I love washing my cars, I find it therapeutic, but I'm conscious there's a lot more to it than a bucket, sponge and chamois. I wish there was a course, like a day or an afternoon for enthusiasts / by enthusiasts who are not looking to start their own detailing business, but just want to know more about how to foam, wash, dry, polish, wax, buff, correct, cut, clay-bar, shine, their prize and joy (I don't know the difference between half those words).

Yes, there are video's on youtube, but those two dimensional videos are lousy at portraying how to restore a complex 3D surface with depth and feel of the surface.

Does anybody know of such a course? I love to attend something like that where I can learn some of the tricks. I'm in Northville, MI.

/Andy
Checkout Meguairs web site for detailing 101. If your in the Irvine area in So, Cal they have a class you can attend.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Not sure where you're located but here in Phoenix the local club will sometimes have a detail day. Pick a Saturday or Sunday and have someone that knows how to detail show the rest that don't. It's always a good time and very informative. Good hands on and some people volunteer their cars as guinea pigs. Just an idea for ya.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:35 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Adam's website has a ton of videos, and reasons for doing what they explain.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:19 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Join your local Corvette Club. Many Clubs hold Detail Days for the members to learn how and get exposure to the products needed. Product supply companies & dealerships will host these events through out the season.

Here's an example from the Adams Forum held at Corvette Mikes in New England every year. http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/281...s-new-england/
Old 06-03-2017, 01:17 PM
soofrsh
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

before I picked up my detail machine (started with a porter cable), I watched a lot of Adam's polishes videos to understand how to use the products and machine properly. The videos are very informative and have been doing it since 2012 on my own. Always get compliments and its definitely therapeutic. Since then, I've upgraded my polished the the adam's swirl killer and is a great bang for the buck machine.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

so the adam's swirl killer is much better then the porter cable unit?
Old 06-03-2017, 05:46 PM
soofrsh
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
so the adam's swirl killer is much better then the porter cable unit?
In my opinion YES! The machine cuts much faster and I can comfortably have it on its highest setting an not kill my hands. Had a friend come by when I detailed the vette about a month ago to try it before he bought it. He bought one before he left my house and has been using the porter cable for a few years as well.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Learn to Wash & Detail

Quick Reply: How to Learn to Wash & Detail