Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2004 Z06 Wet Front Floor

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2004 Z06 Wet Front Floor

Checked and search all the posts on here, took the recommendations and Dum-Dummed and String Caulked, but I still have leaks, especially on the front driver-side floor.
Here are some pics of the A-pillar area right after rainfall. Has anyone had a leak in this area and solved the problem? I am getting terribly frustrated. I keep the car in great shape for a daily-driver but I have to keep it outside.
Please if you have a definite solution to this, I would appreciate your input.
Don't want to overload it with caulk or anything that will look crappy.
Thanks
Attached Images    

Last edited by joseph p; 06-06-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just redid the plastic trim on my passenger side as it was busted and keep flying up. I had some leaks until I got it right after putting the new 1 piece trim in. The 2 places I had leaks was first because the gap between the inner metal track and plastic trim was too large. This was due to me bending the inner metal track when I removed it trying to pry it from the car from all the glue they used, so I just needed to bend it back to close that gap so I would check that gap on both windows to make sure they look similar and mostly towards the angled or front of the side window. The 2nd which maybe more likely your issue is where the rubber molding attaches to the front of that plastic trim(larger triangle area of the plastic trim piece) again towards the front of the car it has to be fully sealed using some sort of silicon adhesive or weather stripping adhesive. If its sagging from that triangle area then all kinds of water will come into your car.

I also put a bead of black exterior house silicon on the roof of my car where the plastic trims extends past the front windshield all the way to the rear of the side windows, I had no known leaking there, I just didn't like that gap that all Z06 seem to have it looks cheap and wanted to fill it in and others have done it, seems to have helped remove some road noise from the cabin as well.

Hope all that helps and you can save your rubber moldings and close whatever gaps.

I should also state that those plastic trim panels would certainly have to removed and re-installed along with the rubber moldings during any front windshield replacement so that could be a time when its not done right.

Last edited by garrettg; 06-05-2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Could anyone show me pics of exactly where you caulked or repaired to get rid of water that is coming in my car?
Thank you
Old 06-07-2017, 01:35 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Ttt
Old 06-07-2017, 01:45 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Originally Posted by joseph p
Could anyone show me pics of exactly where you caulked or repaired to get rid of water that is coming in my car?
Thank you
Here is the area that I was referencing where the weatherstrip has to be completely sealed against the triangle area of the plastic trim piece.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (06-13-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 01:53 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Thank you
Here is picture of the area at the top which I did not have any leaks that I know of.

Amazon Amazon

I just used a exterior silicon from home depot for this so I could just a caulk gun and get the bead as small as possible.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:03 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Not sure that's my problem area, but
I'll put silicone there out of desperation.
Here's a pic of my cars condition in that area
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 PM
garrettg
Advanced

The gap on the bottom which is the right side of this picture seems most important so if you sealed that you should be in better shape, quick car wash test usually will know if water stays out or not. Water will run inside the doors some just due to the design but the key is to keep it out of cabin. Its also evident your track has been messed with either from windshield replacement or the plastic trim replacement by looking at it. If the metal track is bent or weatherstripping is missing/damaged then it may need more work then these gap patches.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Factorycar
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you just looked into a new seal possibly? It may not be all that expensive, especially when water keeps getting in.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM
joseph p
Drifting

Originally Posted by Factorycar
Have you just looked into a new seal possibly? It may not be all that expensive, especially when water keeps getting in.
I would like to just replace seal...Where would I get one?
If I bought it at the Chevy dealer would iy be better quality?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2017, 04:43 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Internet search came up with a $650 price per side for new weatherstripping.....yeeowww!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM
joseph p
Drifting

internet search came up with a $650 price per side for new weatherstripping.....yeeowww!

ttt
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Anyone know where they can be bought cheaper?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I had a leak in the a-pillar of my 2004 Z06, that was running down behind the door trim and spilling over into the driver side floor.

I pulled the inside trim and found a hole in the pillar that did not look sealed. I just took some strip caulk and filled the hole plus put some around the openings where the clips that hold the trim go through, and that fixed it. I had forgotten I even had the problem until I saw this post.

I thought mine was leaking behind the block of weather strip on the body in the top forward corner of the door, but that was not the problem.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 06-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

m not a pro here, but caulking is a band-aid fix to a bigger problem. It might be effective at stopping damage until you can get it fixed properly but I wouldn't consider it a long term fix. Mine is leaking as well (different area though...I think). Fortunately I have space in the garage for it, but I plan to take it to a ship that can find the leak and correct it properly. I expect it will cost me a few hundred to have them find the cause. Well worth it in my opinion since trying to find it myself will probably result in more damage. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:07 AM
joseph p
Drifting

So, are you saying that these are all bandaids and I will probably just need to replace the weatherstripping?

Is anyone familiar with the quality and costs of these different co's weather stripping?
Thanks
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM
clemson3
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hope you don't have to replace them. It's expensive. $600+ a side
Old 08-07-2017, 05:05 PM
joseph p
Drifting

this what I would need?

Get notified of new replies