Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 vs 5th gen Camaro ownership - Thoughts and opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

My only issue with the C5 is the dated interior , that's pretty much it to be honest

I find with the right visual upgrades it looks better then most newer cars and it is the largest of all the corvettes which is a good thing

The Camaro has the updated corvette drivetrain, updated interior and is probably more comfortable

I also don't mind the looks of the Camaro , the front end especially is really nice

Mustangs don't do it for me looks wise, and I'm a creature of habit, ive had two LS based cars and id like to stick with what I know
Old 06-17-2017, 03:13 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

If we were talking 6th gen ZL-1, well that is a different story.

That thing is a BEAST and a bargain.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:15 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
If we were talking 6th gen ZL-1, well that is a different story.

That thing is a BEAST and a bargain.
The one I have a chance to get now has 200 hp+more then the ZL1 and half the price

That's why I'm so tempted
Old 06-17-2017, 08:43 AM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I looked at a few 5th Gen Camaro SS's a few years ago and I honestly hate the interior. I know the C5's not anything amazing, but I can at least forgive it because it's from a time when interiors were just not as nice. The 5th Gen Camaro has no excuse to have such a crappy looking interior IMO. It feels like riding in a bathtub with the seating position and I hate the terrible visibility. Before my Z06, I had a Coyote Mustang - the refresh body style before the most current one. The visibility was so much better, the interior looked better, and it was more lightweight. I am not fan of Ford at all, but I went with the Mustang over the Camaro for those reasons.

I sold the Mustang because I thought on first purchase the automatic would be pretty fast shifting and the one I bought was a great deal, low mile, and very clean. Turns out, that automatic sucks all the fun out of the 5.0. So I went back to what I really wanted all along, the Vette. Found my C5 Z06 and performance was so much better than the Coyote even though it was 10 years older.

If I had to choose now, I'd seriously consider the 2016+ Camaro (Is that 6th gen now or a 5.5 gen?). The new Camaro SS puts down performance numbers dead on spot with the C5 Z06, but with a much nicer looking interior. I hear the visibility is still bad though, so ehh. My Mustang had louvers on the rear quarter windows which made it harder to see out of but they looked so cool I couldn't bring myself to take them off so just got used to using the mirrors when changing lanes, it wasn't too bad.

Would I trade my C5 Z06 for a 5th Gen Camaro (even if modded)? Nah. One aspect no one really seems to care about or mention though, the Camaros are much safer cars if god forbid you get into an accident. I know the C5 isn't a deathtrap, but these cars were designed in the '90s...modern cars are exceptionally more safe. Sometimes that aspect makes me consider the '16+ Camaro, but Camaros aren't special like Vettes are and I'd really miss that.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

It must be me but I really like the interior in my Camaro...its a little strange that the door panels light up at night. I like the interior in my C5 too. Seats are 10x better in the Camaro.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:17 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

The biggest downside for me in the Camaro is the interior. I absolutely dislike the gauge cluster and the ac controls etc. I was always between a Camaro and Mustang and chose the mustang 3 times over it. The Corvette is no comparison. Corvette all the way!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:58 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Love my C5 but my next car is a 2012 or newer SS Camaro manual transmission. Hopefully I keep both.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:00 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ClipperFan
Love my C5 but my next car is a 2012 or newer SS Camaro manual transmission. Hopefully I keep both.
ive driven it and it runs and handles very well
Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 AM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Well, Sorry

This may offend some

1) Corvette and a distant second is
2) Camaro
97) Mustang
197) Porsche
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I cross shopped a 2010 SS against a LS3 C6 back in 2010. The Camaro felt big and rubbery. It was fast but not very confidence inspiring. I ended up with the Vette. If you buy a 5th Gen Camaro and it's not a 1LE, you may spend a good amount of money to make it feel planted.

But what do I know. I sold the C6 because I prefer the C5. Haha
Old 06-18-2017, 12:23 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by 57gman
This may offend some

1) Corvette and a distant second is
2) Camaro
97) Mustang
197) Porsche
Shouldn't offend anyone, we all have our own taste, and this is a Corvette specific forum (not Chevy, 2 door, American car...).
I think all 3 "new" (revised 60's) muscle cars are nice. Outside order; Camaro, Dodge, Mustang. Interior... that Camaro dash... yech.
Porsc​​​​​​he; agree, look like squished VW bugs for the most part.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I like Mustangs, I've owned two. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to buy one. A lot more emjoyable to drive. The new 5.0 Coyotes are amazing engines. At the end of the day, I got rid of mine because I was tired of seeing them every where I went. There are tons on the road, and you probably won't realize it until you're driving yours but you'll end up being just another mustang. I briefly considered a GT500 before the vette but at the end of the day, its just another mustang. My girldriend couldnt tell the difference and neither can most other people. Same hold true for the Camaro I guess.
[/QUOTE]

This is also one of the reasons I want a C5 over one of today's muscle cars. What you said about Mustangs and Camaros is true, along with Challengers and Chargers...they're like Harleys, everybody and their brother's got one and they're as common as a penny. You don't see that many C5s on the road, and that makes them more unique...there's nothing unique about any of today's muscle cars, until you start getting into the Hellcats, Wildcats, Roush Mustangs, and ZL1 Camaros...all the other versions are way too common...
Old 06-19-2017, 12:31 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
I like Mustangs, I've owned two. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to buy one. A lot more emjoyable to drive. The new 5.0 Coyotes are amazing engines. At the end of the day, I got rid of mine because I was tired of seeing them every where I went. There are tons on the road, and you probably won't realize it until you're driving yours but you'll end up being just another mustang. I briefly considered a GT500 before the vette but at the end of the day, its just another mustang. My girldriend couldnt tell the difference and neither can most other people. Same hold true for the Camaro I guess.
This is also one of the reasons I want a C5 over one of today's muscle cars. What you said about Mustangs and Camaros is true, along with Challengers and Chargers...they're like Harleys, everybody and their brother's got one and they're as common as a penny. You don't see that many C5s on the road, and that makes them more unique...there's nothing unique about any of today's muscle cars, until you start getting into the Hellcats, Wildcats, Roush Mustangs, and ZL1 Camaros...all the other versions are way too common...
Yeah, I never realized how many 5th Gen Camaros I ignore every day I drive around. I wish I had a dollar for every one I saw with some gaudy oversized rims with a V6. The 2010-2013 Camaros are permanently tarnished to me because of how many ugly ones I've seen. They have to single handedly be the favorite car for awful paintjobs. I haven't seen as many of the '14-'15 or any of the '16+. The more garish things added to a 5th gen, the more likely they are to drive like a complete tool as well...same holds true for Mustangs too. I shudder to think about ever driving another one, the owners are the worst part about those cars and always made me hate driving mine just by association.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Furiousone
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion is that it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are wanting a cool looking cruiser that you can have some fun with, the Camaro will fit the bill nicely. If you want to go fast, you are better off with a Vette. Of course, you can build a Camaro to be quick, but it will take a decent amount more power due to the weight, which has been mentioned many times. I agree with others that the newer 'stang is probably the better car.

Edit- yes, they are also everywhere, so it would have to be something really special to stand out.

Last edited by Furiousone; 06-19-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

You can probably find a Vette that has been professionally and tastefully modified the way you like it at a good price.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

not really a opinion, went to the SCCA Cam Challenge in Mineral Wells Texas over the weekend. The later model Camaros all built up could not get close to the times of some of the AS ZO 6's (stock) Have to admit my Gal's and other ZO 6's are BAD *** !!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM
shot410ga
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In the 1960's when the Camaro came out, us young guys at the time thought it was a "Poor Man's" Corvette. I haven't changed my mind.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 vs 5th gen Camaro ownership - Thoughts and opinions welcome

Old 06-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by shot410ga
In the 1960's when the Camaro came out, us young guys at the time thought it was a "Poor Man's" Corvette. I haven't changed my mind.
That's what I used to call my '75 Camaro.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Black & Tan
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

We own a 2002 C5 Vette - our 2nd C5. We also owned a 2010 Gen 5 Camaro SS RS since new - sold it a few months ago. We really like both cars, but they are different.
1. No blind spot problem in either once you get used to them - especially with backup camera.
2. Camaro felt like driving a muscle car - not a bad thing, just not as smooth as the Vette.
3. I think the Vette actually has more room for 2 passengers.
4. No problems with interior of either, but I think the Camaro had better styling - it was also 8 years newer.
5. Loved the Camaro as a daily driver - we used it in winter too. The Vette is better for long trips.

There is no wrong decision - just a tough one.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Black & Tan
We own a 2002 C5 Vette - our 2nd C5. We also owned a 2010 Gen 5 Camaro SS RS since new - sold it a few months ago. We really like both cars, but they are different.
1. No blind spot problem in either once you get used to them - especially with backup camera.
2. Camaro felt like driving a muscle car - not a bad thing, just not as smooth as the Vette.
3. I think the Vette actually has more room for 2 passengers.
4. No problems with interior of either, but I think the Camaro had better styling - it was also 8 years newer.
5. Loved the Camaro as a daily driver - we used it in winter too. The Vette is better for long trips.

There is no wrong decision - just a tough one.
Was it a preference that made you sell the camaro? Did you have any trouble with it that contributed to the decision? Would you buy it again?

Last edited by Nyt_Muves; 06-19-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 vs 5th gen Camaro ownership - Thoughts and opinions welcome