Sponsored by:

C5 vs 5th gen Camaro ownership - Thoughts and opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Black & Tan
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
Was it a preference that made you sell the camaro? Did you have any trouble with it that contributed to the decision? Would you buy it again?
The preference that made me sell the Camaro and keep the Corvette was my 40 year love of Corvettes. I had no trouble with the Camaro at all. The reason I sold the Camaro was we had 4 vehicles and only one that held more than 2 people (counting the Camaro as a 2-person car) so we traded the Camaro for a SUV.

I would buy a Camaro again, but only as long as I kept a Corvette as well.
The following users liked this post:
Nyt_Muves (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Black & Tan
The preference that made me sell the Camaro and keep the Corvette was my 40 year love of Corvettes. I had no trouble with the Camaro at all. The reason I sold the Camaro was we had 4 vehicles and only one that held more than 2 people (counting the Camaro as a 2-person car) so we traded the Camaro for a SUV.

I would buy a Camaro again, but only as long as I kept a Corvette as well.
Thanks for the reply. I really do like the camaro. Have had them as rentals a few times. BUT I also really like the new 350 GT and have had some track time in one. I would not trade my corvette for either as like you I LOVE corvettes and my corvette is a bucket list car for me.

I find you get better info from one who owns a particular model rather than some auto journalist that may have an ax to grind where a particular marquee is concerned So thank you again for your take on this.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black & Tan
we traded the Camaro for a SUV.
I'll never understand why people have relegated sedans as an utterly useless category of vehicle these days. This is a general sentiment I hear from people all the time which is depressing. I literally saw a guy with a canoe using the passthrough in his Civic (I also see sedans packed with 5 people quite often). lol, compared to all those utility vehicles that do nothing but haul around one person, a bunch of air, or a couple groceries that would fit in the back of the Vette just as well. Oh well I guess.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Camaro is a good compromise of power, room and function

How do the new Mustangs drive? only driven a '10 was pretty disappointed at how cheap the front end suspension felt. Like real bad
Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Camaro is a good compromise of power, room and function

How do the new Mustangs drive? only driven a '10 was pretty disappointed at how cheap the front end suspension felt. Like real bad
This one was phenomenal. Ford and Shelby did an incredible job. And no heat issues at the track.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Nyt_Muves; 06-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.
3tt3v8P (08-17-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Looked at one when it came out and hated it as soon as I was inside due to the windshield having a chop top feel to it. I much preferred my G8 i had at the time to the fifth gen. Ever been in a G8 or Chevy SS? I would pick either over a fifth gen camaro.

Last edited by Black 02; 06-20-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:20 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

I test drove a 2014 Camaro SS at the dealership and the LS3 is really smooth and refined compared to the LS1

There is no visibility issues with the Camaro at all, and its very comfortable \
The interior is kinda cheap though, the dash mainly ...seats are good \

Shifter is b utter smooth, not sure if its a good thing , I'm used to the harsher shifting corvettes, the Camaro shifts completely different

Overall not bad, id get one for the right price , top mount supercharged with a 6 speed would be my only requirements
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
I test drove a 2014 Camaro SS at the dealership and the LS3 is really smooth and refined compared to the LS1

There is no visibility issues with the Camaro at all, and its very comfortable \
The interior is kinda cheap though, the dash mainly ...seats are good \

Shifter is b utter smooth, not sure if its a good thing , I'm used to the harsher shifting corvettes, the Camaro shifts completely different

Overall not bad, id get one for the right price , top mount supercharged with a 6 speed would be my only requirements
Uhh, what? Honestly, I think GM doesn't sell nearly as many Camaros as Mustangs in part due to cost and also because Mustangs you can actually see out of. I'm long time Anti-Ford, I went to look at a 2010 Camaro SS a couple years ago and the visibility was so bad that I never looked at another. Back to back I test drove a 2010 Mustang GT and it was night and day better. I do not like Mustangs and especially not Mustang drivers, but I understand completely why they sell better than Camaros. Not sure how anyone can feel comfortable driving a car you really can't see out of, even if it has a decent drivetrain.

Personally I like the '16+ Camaros, but they didn't fix that visibility problem. The interior looks decent on them unlike the 2010-2015's (The '10-'13s were abysmal IMO). A '16 Camaro SS in manual trim is right there with a C5 Z06, except I can actually see well out of my Z06...and it's a lot cheaper to get ahold of.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:48 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Interesting thread, I'm contemplating the switch, only the other way around. I miss my Corvette.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I think the camero is over styled, like a hot wheels toy meant for a kid who wants to be a bad ***. The kind of a car styling one would find in a comic book. For many years the Mustang was no visual treat either, luckily the new ones are better.

Fortunately for GM, a lot of wanna be bad *** boys played with hot wheels as a kid .

My buying criteria is , does the top go down, and, is the platform viable for long term ownership? A plastic car also had some attraction , I was coming out of a toyota that grew rust like Iowa grows corn. you couldn't exactly see it grow, but after a while, wow.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:42 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

think the camero is over styled, like a hot wheels toy meant for a kid who wants to be a bad ***. The kind of a car styling one would find in a comic book.
Agree, everything is exaggerated bloated and out of proportion...get it right I may consider one. At 6'3" i had no headroom issues in any 1st gen
If Chevy designers took some cues from some of the older guys they could sell way more of these
that window sill needs to come down an in or two.Ever seen them side by side the newer one looks like a truck.
STICK TO BASICS CHEVY

dash...its the frame..WTF is that

Only reason I havent test driven a new StAng is 1)cant afford 2)Id want one. Couple running arond town here Il hand it to Ford they are badass.

Last edited by cv67; 08-17-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigBossMY03Z
Uhh, what? Honestly, I think GM doesn't sell nearly as many Camaros as Mustangs in part due to cost and also because Mustangs you can actually see out of. I'm long time Anti-Ford, I went to look at a 2010 Camaro SS a couple years ago and the visibility was so bad that I never looked at another. Back to back I test drove a 2010 Mustang GT and it was night and day better. I do not like Mustangs and especially not Mustang drivers, but I understand completely why they sell better than Camaros. Not sure how anyone can feel comfortable driving a car you really can't see out of, even if it has a decent drivetrain.

Personally I like the '16+ Camaros, but they didn't fix that visibility problem. The interior looks decent on them unlike the 2010-2015's (The '10-'13s were abysmal IMO). A '16 Camaro SS in manual trim is right there with a C5 Z06, except I can actually see well out of my Z06...and it's a lot cheaper to get ahold of.
Where exactly cant you see out of ?

I see people talking about visibility issues and I went on the test drive specifically looking out for that , and there is no issue for me whatsoever

I would even go as far as saying it had better visibility then my hardtop c5's

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Interesting thread, I'm contemplating the switch, only the other way around. I miss my Corvette.
Miss mine too man, I'm also looking for deals on another supercharged C5 Z ..if one popped up id jump on it

Id go widebody forsure this time

Originally Posted by strand rider
I think the camero is over styled, like a hot wheels toy meant for a kid who wants to be a bad ***. The kind of a car styling one would find in a comic book. For many years the Mustang was no visual treat either, luckily the new ones are better.

Fortunately for GM, a lot of wanna be bad *** boys played with hot wheels as a kid .

My buying criteria is , does the top go down, and, is the platform viable for long term ownership? A plastic car also had some attraction , I was coming out of a toyota that grew rust like Iowa grows corn. you couldn't exactly see it grow, but after a while, wow.
Its either a like them or hate them type car I think

The 6th gen smoothed a lot of the styling flaws that the 5th gen had

If you see one that's lowered with the right set of wheels and a few add ons , they are actually a really good looking car
Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 AM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Where exactly cant you see out of ?

I see people talking about visibility issues and I went on the test drive specifically looking out for that , and there is no issue for me whatsoever

I would even go as far as saying it had better visibility then my hardtop c5's
You're in the minority, most people have lots of complaints about how it feels like a bunker in there. You can't see **** out of the side or rear, you purely have to rely on mirrors to see behind you. This part is not opinion, it's simple fact. Most of these are talking about the '16s, but the problem has been around since the 2010 came out.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/02/...or-visibility/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...e-out-of-.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-interior.html

I'm sure the bad visibility could be gotten use to, but a C5 FRC/Z06 easily have better visibility. They have a mostly vertical back window and a roof that isn't too low, unlike the Camaro. It's a nice exterior look, but not worth the visibility penalty.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

gen 5 Camaro is a good car. Whether you like the styling or not, of course, is subjective. However, it drives well, handles well for a car of it's weight. Mine has a little over 100K miles and he interior still looks almost new and not a single rattle, not one. It's definitely a good daily driver.
1Willy1 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,312 Likes on 884 Posts

The 5th gen Camaro's are a great car.

But when I upgrade in a few year from my 2002 Z06, I will be finding a good condition C6 Z06.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Name:  2017ss.jpeg
Views: 4636
Size:  1.02 MB
1Willy1 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 04:38 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
The 5th gen Camaro's are a great car.

But when I upgrade in a few year from my 2002 Z06, I will be finding a good condition C6 Z06.
I was into the C6Z's as well, started posting in the forum there but the head/valve issue is enough to keep me looking somewhere else unless I found one that was already addressed by previous owner

Get notified of new replies

To C5 vs 5th gen Camaro ownership - Thoughts and opinions welcome

Old 08-18-2017, 11:33 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

lol, how are you looking at C6Z's and Camaro SS's? They're totally different performance/price points? It takes a ZL1 to keep up with a C5 Z06 or LS3 C6 (Assuming pre-2017). Used C6Z is in the 32-40k USD range, 5th gen Camaro is typically $18-26k. If you're talking a brand new Camaro SS, then you're in the ballpark but a C6Z is going to be faster than even a brand new Camaro SS (Which based on all the numbers looks to be on par with a C5 Z06).

Do ya want opinions or an echo chamber? The Mustang is the clear winner in the category the Camaro competes in, not because it's the fastest but because it's the most livable and affordable. I still see '10-'14 Camaro SS for mid to high $20's, and yet for around $20k you can pick up a '13 or '14 Coyote Mustang which will beat it (stock for stock mind you).
Old 08-19-2017, 01:12 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigBossMY03Z
lol, how are you looking at C6Z's and Camaro SS's? They're totally different performance/price points? It takes a ZL1 to keep up with a C5 Z06 or LS3 C6 (Assuming pre-2017). Used C6Z is in the 32-40k USD range, 5th gen Camaro is typically $18-26k. If you're talking a brand new Camaro SS, then you're in the ballpark but a C6Z is going to be faster than even a brand new Camaro SS (Which based on all the numbers looks to be on par with a C5 Z06).

Do ya want opinions or an echo chamber? The Mustang is the clear winner in the category the Camaro competes in, not because it's the fastest but because it's the most livable and affordable. I still see '10-'14 Camaro SS for mid to high $20's, and yet for around $20k you can pick up a '13 or '14 Coyote Mustang which will beat it (stock for stock mind you).
Mustangs are ugly as **** and are as common as cockroaches here

I'm not buying a car based on which one has a better quarter mile time , its about the entire package

The Camaro appeals to me because it has a corvette LS3 drivetrain, can be had for a decent price , and I also like the looks of them when slightly modified.

I'm not interested in the stock Camaro SS, here many of them are already magnacharged by the previous owners and can be had around $30k with super low mileage

If money was not an option id get the C6 Z or grand sport with a magnacharger , but they are hard to come by here for a decent price.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:10 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Mustangs are ugly as **** and are as common as cockroaches here

I'm not buying a car based on which one has a better quarter mile time , its about the entire package

The Mustang is the better package, that was kinda the point. Camaro might be faster but is a worse overall package. But hear what ya wanna hear. I hate Ford more than most and will freely admit this.

Quick Reply: C5 vs 5th gen Camaro ownership - Thoughts and opinions welcome