Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we replacing the 1.5 din radio with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:24 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default You talk the talk, do you walk the walk?

I wamt to see some progress reports and pics from Mr DIY MAN!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
sounds like you have not done your research. I been waiting for the right radio, right now I'm currently debating between a boss, Sony, pioneer.

As I said before, if you're creative then you can diy. If, not then continue to pay someone else to help you get through life. I love it how you exaggerate. Usually women do that
Let's see your results.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Originally Posted by Roddy13
Haven't seen any options other than DD mods...
Metra is now offering a double din kit for the C5. Its +\-$250 but I've read the finish isn't quite the same as factory, it's a little off.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
Let's see your results.
Since you're asking daddy to show you the how to, I will but a radio is at bottom of the list.

That's why I haven't change it, other mods will come before a radio.

Don't worry my son's.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 PM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Metra makes a DP-3021B
I ordered it about 30 minutes after picking up my C5, yup it's an expensive dash kit but not as expensive as some others. I'll report back with how it looks.

Last edited by FinallyAC5; 06-20-2017 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dark Sarcasm (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

you could get away with a double din unit starting about $150 with little to none bezel mods.
It's not that hard. Find any double din about 6.2in in screen and determine if you need to mod your bezel base on the controls. If so, then you can cut what you need or file it down.

It's not that hard I will be doing it very soon. Just looking for the right radio in stores and not online.

I understand everyone on the site suggest a vendor here Everytime someone wants a new radio, but if you want to DIY then it's really easy like doing an oil change.

It's not the end of the world.. yet.. lol

​​​​​
Since you're asking daddy to show you the how to, I will but a radio is at bottom of the list.

That's why I haven't change it, other mods will come before a radio.

Don't worry my son's.
You said it could be done, I'm asking you to stand behind what you type, that's all.

Last edited by Dark Sarcasm; 06-20-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Sorry OP, didn't mean to derail your thread.

Options are limited for modern ICE in the C5.
There's quality, proven products from DD Mods. There's the very new Metra unit or there is custom which depends on your skill level or budget. Flip up screens are going away and a lot experience failures ove time. And they block the a/c vents.

As much as I want the b/u camera I just can't fork over the $600+ For a bezel and a new HU for something I might drive 3k miles a year. I listen to 1 FM station and the rest of the time it's Bluetooth. So I'm going to stick with a quality Bluetooth single din in the stock location.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

DD also sells the Metra, the difference being that Denis wouldn't sell it until he felt it was of good enough quality.
On Dennis's recommendation I bought the Kenwood 9903 which includes Apple CarPlay and sent him my bezel to be modified. The entire deal was around $800, which included deluxe mounting brackets and deluxe harness, which resulted in my having to scrape the insulation off only one wire. The rest was plug 'n play. I could not be happier with the results and with the services that Denis provides. Please be advised that I chose a fairly expensive unit, Denis has ones that are considerably cheaper.
Btw, removal of the original brackets with a dremel is a non issue, tho' I used a hacksaw blade in a holder, which was also very easy.
OOPS! That also included the backup camera!

Last edited by chasboy; 06-20-2017 at 02:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chasboy:
Dark Sarcasm (06-20-2017), VetteDawg (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

That looks awesome. Now you're making me think I would enjoy that very much. Dang it. It's just money right??

I can make more money but I can't get those Corvette drives back.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

That looks awesome. Now you're making me think I would enjoy that very much. Dang it. It's just money right??

I can make more money but I can't get those Corvette drives back.
Dark, I cannot tell you how good the Apple CarPlay is, because describing actual operation requires too many words. My wife's '13 Lexus and our '17 Subaru systems do not compare, Siri is that smart. Add in the advantage of Apple's constant software updates as well. The only caveat, which could bother some is the need to plug in the iPhone, tho now I look forward to it. Btw, it also has the similar Android setup.
I spent more time running wires, CF wrapping the bezel, and insulating the interior than I did with the actual head unit hook up.
The following users liked this post:
Dark Sarcasm (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

You said it could be done, I'm asking you to stand behind what you type, that's all.
I really like how you don't know how to do research.

Here's a really niffty & creative Youtuber video's for you on a double din DIY. ALSO read his description and notice how he said " It's really not that hard"

Last edited by My Vette Life; 06-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:13 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

I hope you watch this too. maybe it will build your confidence.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Here's a really niffty & creative Youtuber video's for you on a double din DIY. ALSO read his description and notice how he said " It's really not that hard"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-JwmEOWAek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqmxJm2E9U
I have seen that. Which is why I used the words hack job. The paint doesn't match, the filler product was poorly finished. He superglued... SUPERGLUED! the abs filler pieces. Even through the poor video quality you can see the shoddy work. I applaud the guy for trying, and others have done this with great success, but that's a lot more work than what you are saying needs to be done. If that is your standard, fine, I guess that's an area we differ.

Read your own post. Read my posts. Exactly as I said, it requires trimming, sanding, paint. Not skills that are easily or quickly learned. Some people are great at it but I bet they didn't get it right the first time. Its more complicated than just setting a double din in the dash and trimming where necessary, as you said. Thanks for proving my point.

I'd support you in any mod you would want to do, but I wouldn't lead you down a bad path. So when you tried to lead the OP down a path that isn't as easy as you say, I questioned it.

I still look forward to your results, I hope it works out for you. Better than that guy in that video.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

That looks like crap!!! Just sayin....
Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Dark, I cannot tell you how good the Apple CarPlay is, because describing actual operation requires too many words. My wife's '13 Lexus and our '17 Subaru systems do not compare, Siri is that smart. Add in the advantage of Apple's constant software updates as well. The only caveat, which could bother some is the need to plug in the iPhone, tho now I look forward to it. Btw, it also has the similar Android setup.
I spent more time running wires, CF wrapping the bezel, and insulating the interior than I did with the actual head unit hook up.
I've got the same unit since January. Where do you store your phone? I wired the CarPlay USB into the cig lighter spot on the center compartment. I am getting "skipping" issues... There are times that music is playing per my phone, but the data isn't being transferred... I am thinking that the heat created by the tunnel is causing data fidelity issues...
Old 06-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope you watch this too. maybe it will build your confidence.
You can't honestly be attempting to use that as evidence of how easy the job is. I actually had a little bit of hope that you'd follow through. That looks like a complete hack job. If that's what you're looking for, just something cheap and tacky but still gives you the 2din functionality...then yeah, it'll do. As a good buddy of mine always says when he finished his best cheapass hack jobs... "good enough!".

The folks here suggesting DD's units are recommending them as a quality OEM replacement, and that's exactly what it is.

Get notified of new replies

To What are we replacing the 1.5 din radio with?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MrGary2011

I wamt to see some progress reports and pics from Mr DIY MAN!
Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
You can't honestly be attempting to use that as evidence of how easy the job is. I actually had a little bit of hope that you'd follow through. That looks like a complete hack job. If that's what you're looking for, just something cheap and tacky but still gives you the 2din functionality...then yeah, it'll do. As a good buddy of mine always says when he finished his best cheapass hack jobs... "good enough!".

The folks here suggesting DD's units are recommending them as a quality OEM replacement, and that's exactly what it is.
Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
That looks like crap!!! Just sayin....
I have seen that. Which is why I used the words hack job. The paint doesn't match, the filler product was poorly finished. He superglued... SUPERGLUED! the abs filler pieces. Even through the poor video quality you can see the shoddy work. I applaud the guy for trying, and others have done this with great success, but that's a lot more work than what you are saying needs to be done. If that is your standard, fine, I guess that's an area we differ.

Read your own post. Read my posts. Exactly as I said, it requires trimming, sanding, paint. Not skills that are easily or quickly learned. Some people are great at it but I bet they didn't get it right the first time. Its more complicated than just setting a double din in the dash and trimming where necessary, as you said. Thanks for proving my point.

I'd support you in any mod you would want to do, but I wouldn't lead you down a bad path. So when you tried to lead the OP down a path that isn't as easy as you say, I questioned it.

I still look forward to your results, I hope it works out for you. Better than that guy in that video.
You do understand that the Youtuber said he was going to redo it.

Now, Those video's obviously are not a step by step which I fell is what you want to see.

These video's are to give you an idea on what can be done. You don't have to go the same route as the Youtuber, Change whatever and however you want.

My radio could be similar or completely different, depends on what I want.

It's your car. Continue to cry if you want to.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:32 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

To each their own I guess. I have more money than I do time so I opt for the pre made part that has a factory finished appearance. How many hours would you have in modifying it yourself AND making it look as good. You start adding that up and my time is worth a hell of a lot more. $300 part for me baby!!!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

you could get away with a double din unit starting about $150 with little to none bezel mods.
It's not that hard. Find any double din about 6.2in in screen and determine if you need to mod your bezel base on the controls. If so, then you can cut what you need or file it down.

It's not that hard I will be doing it very soon. Just looking for the right radio in stores and not online.

I understand everyone on the site suggest a vendor here Everytime someone wants a new radio, but if you want to DIY then it's really easy like doing an oil change.

It's not the end of the world.. yet.. lol

​​​​​
You do understand that the Youtuber said he was going to redo it.

Now, Those video's obviously are not a step by step which I fell is what you want to see.

These video's are to give you an idea on what can be done. You don't have to go the same route as the Youtuber, Change whatever and however you want.

My radio could be similar or completely different, depends on what I want.

It's your car. Continue to cry if you want to.
You are a special one. You are now contradicting your own statements. You do know The video you posted is how everyone (most) adds double din radios to C5's? Right? Some are good like DD's and some are **** shows like the video you posted. "It's not that hard" but he admits he has to redo it. Maybe it's harder than he thinks if he wanted to do it right.

Do You still want to stick to your post that it's just "cut what you need and file it down"

If you come off like you've got a new "creative" way to install double din radios, people will want to see it. You've only found the normal way of installing this stuff. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: What are we replacing the 1.5 din radio with?