Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we replacing the 1.5 din radio with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 PM
VetteDawg
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What are we replacing the 1.5 din radio with?

Hi. We're halfway through 2017 now.

Is there an easy swap out around yet to get an infotainment system in a C5? Ya know, blue teeth and a backup camera? (if there was ever a car that could use a backup camera eh'?)

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Get a hold of Dennis at DDmods. He is the man when it comes replacing the radio with newer stuff. Also a forum sponsor here.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

There used to be a few aftermarket 1.5 DIN sets available........but time and the market move on. Since there are no newer cars with 1.5 DIN units the aftermarket is unlikely to make a new model in 1.5 DIN.......................

Last edited by jrprich; 06-16-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

See my thread here for some ideas, if you don't feel like shelling out $500+ for a new console and head unit:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-opening.html

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 06-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:57 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

So far we have done 13017 conversions since 2005.
So yep we can help.
Just call me
608 854 2033
We are you only authorized audio deals on the forum as well
Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default DD Mods. Wish my Pioneer would crap out so I could get a new one but.....

The following users liked this post:
Damon Smith (06-29-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't know of a 1.5 DIN that supports a screen for a backup camera. There are a few single din units that have a small screen for a camera, but the brand names are a little scary. Plenty of BT ready headunits available. There's back up cameras that connect to a screen in the rear view mirror, BU cameras that connect to phones, etc. Plenty of options. The cleanest in my opinion is to change out the bezel to fit a double din.

Last edited by Dark Sarcasm; 06-17-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:14 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDawg
Hi. We're halfway through 2017 now.

Is there an easy swap out around yet to get an infotainment system in a C5? Ya know, blue teeth and a backup camera? (if there was ever a car that could use a backup camera eh'?)

Thanks.
you could get away with a double din unit starting about $150 with little to none bezel mods.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 PM
VetteDawg
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nurburgring
you could get away with a double din unit starting about $150 with little to none bezel mods.
Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Please elaborate. Links to how to do this? Personal experience? Pics of install? Gimme something man.

My 02 Z has a top of the line flip up Alpine unit. From 2004 So I'm about to pull the trigger on an inexpensive Bluetooth unit. I'd rather get a double Din with a backup camera.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:10 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Haven't seen any options other than DD mods...

Last edited by Roddy13; 06-18-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDawg
Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm
Please elaborate. Links to how to do this? Personal experience? Pics of install? Gimme something man.

My 02 Z has a top of the line flip up Alpine unit. From 2004 So I'm about to pull the trigger on an inexpensive Bluetooth unit. I'd rather get a double Din with a backup camera.
It's not that hard. Find any double din about 6.2in in screen and determine if you need to mod your bezel base on the controls. If so, then you can cut what you need or file it down.

It's not that hard I will be doing it very soon. Just looking for the right radio in stores and not online.

I understand everyone on the site suggest a vendor here Everytime someone wants a new radio, but if you want to DIY then it's really easy like doing an oil change.

It's not the end of the world.. yet.. lol

​​​​​
Old 06-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

It's not that hard. Find any double din about 6.2in in screen and determine if you need to mod your bezel base on the controls. If so, then you can cut what you need or file it down.

It's not that hard I will be doing it very soon. Just looking for the right radio in stores and not online.

I understand everyone on the site suggest a vendor here Everytime someone wants a new radio, but if you want to DIY then it's really easy like doing an oil change.

It's not the end of the world.. yet.. lol

​​​​​
So you haven't actually done this yet? :o

the problem with cutting or trimming the bezel is ending up with a finished product that looks factory or at least professional. I've seen a few that just came out bad. It's hard to cut plastic, smooth, bondo, shape and texture without it looking like a hack job.

Please please please keep us posted on your results. Maybe one of those nifty YouTube vids when you're done.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

...to mod your bezel based on the controls. If so, then you can cut what you need or file it down...​​​​​
...the problem with cutting or trimming the bezel is ending up with a finished product that looks factory or at least professional. I've seen a few that just came out bad. It's hard to cut plastic, smooth, bondo, shape and texture without it looking like a hack job...
You can also get a bezel already modified and take it from there.

Just a couple of options: keeping the cigarette lighter and ashtray door or
<b>without those</b> without those

Last edited by GCG; 06-18-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:21 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

So you haven't actually done this yet? :o

the problem with cutting or trimming the bezel is ending up with a finished product that looks factory or at least professional. I've seen a few that just came out bad. It's hard to cut plastic, smooth, bondo, shape and texture without it looking like a hack job.

Please please please keep us posted on your results. Maybe one of those nifty YouTube vids when you're done.
i take it you're not a creative person. Simple diy job.

Oh wait, you want me to just spend $600 on something that I can do myself and spend less than $200.

Will make that nifty YT video and will give confidence to those who need it.

I guess some people need their hands to be held in order to use a screwdriver​. Lol moral support ehhh.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:24 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GCG
You can also get a bezel already modified and take it from there.

Just a couple of options: keeping the cigarette lighter and ashtray door or without those.
if the radio has the USB port or aux in the rear, I'd be creative and add them to the ashtray door. And just mold it shut.

Get notified of new replies

To What are we replacing the 1.5 din radio with?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh wait, you want me to just spend $600 on something that I can do myself and spend less than $200.

I guess some people need their hands to be held in order to use a screwdriver​. Lol moral support ehhh.
You get what you pay for! Putting in a Double DIN is more than a screwdriver. Once you are inside you discover the bracket needs to be modified as the frame is not designed for a Double DIN, secondly the console piece needs to be cut to size and the piece between the radio and heating/cooling unit needs to be epoxied in a different position, additional epoxy and sanding to make it look right is required. Painting well you get what you pay for. Leather? Carbon Fiber? Good Luck!
If its a 1.5 go for it, but you will need a different wiring harness and such as the Bose system has little amps and such - best to remove and install new speakers.
ScrewDriver? No star driver, sockets are what you need during removal. I tried moving to a Double Din and was not satisfied, thus went to DD Mods and got a tailored DD with carbon fiber/leather and dual gage setup, new speakers twin infinity power amps, dual 10 inch woofers and rear speakers. I am a happy camper.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

I didn't tell you to spend $600 and I don't want to hold hands with you, creep. I just want to see your results, I've yet to see someone take a screwdriver and a blade to a factory dash and make it look like anything more than a hack job. Requires sanding, bondo, filler, paint, etc.

I saw your other thread asking about aftermarket radios and that was from a year ago. How long does it take to replace a radio? Just a screwdriver right? Lol

Please don't forget to post your results.
The following users liked this post:
MrGary2011 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

I didn't tell you to spend $600 and I don't want to hold hands with you, creep. I just want to see your results, I've yet to see someone take a screwdriver and a blade to a factory dash and make it look like anything more than a hack job. Requires sanding, bondo, filler, paint, etc.

I saw your other thread asking about aftermarket radios and that was from a year ago. How long does it take to replace a radio? Just a screwdriver right? Lol

Please don't forget to post your results.
sounds like you have not done your research. I been waiting for the right radio, right now I'm currently debating between a boss, Sony, pioneer.

As I said before, if you're creative then you can diy. If, not then continue to pay someone else to help you get through life. I love it how you exaggerate. Usually women do that

Last edited by My Vette Life; 06-19-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: What are we replacing the 1.5 din radio with?