Sponsored by:

Stupid Key Fob....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 03:07 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Stupid Key Fob....

Well, my key fob stopped working without warning.

The battery in the fob is relatively new.-Just a few months old. I replaced it when I noticed I had to be right by my car for it to work.

I tried the relearn procedure and resync and neither of those worked. Tried it with my newer and original remote. (Original remote may or may not have had a good battery in it. I also replaced it when the buttons were wearing out)

I BELIEVE, that when I came home yesterday I checked my tire pressure. Don't the remotes and TPM sensors use the same receiver?

Car battery was replace during this past winter, and I have no other problems.

Probably just the fobs themselves....right? Anything else it could be?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

I've pulled codes before, but would there still be a code if the tire pressure sensors are working? Same receiver right?

I ordered a new remote as well, just in case I dropped it 10 too many times.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Well, I just confirmed that my tire pressure sensors are working. Has anybody had a case where those were working, they key fob wasn't and it was still the receiver? We'll see what happens when my new fob(s) arrive
Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Not sure if anybody is paying any attention to this thread....but I walked to my car this evening....and my remote worked. WTF.

And the new remotes I ordered came today. We'll see what happens. I guess my car is self healing.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Ducati Guy
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I am reading the thread. But have nothing to offer. But i am reading it!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:30 PM
hron61
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

The FOB's for the early year C5's (97 - 2000) very often suffer from broken or cracked solder joints on the circuit board inside the plastic case.

I reflowed a few joints (not the green kind) and ever since all has been well. didnt have any tpms code issues but i did have to replace em due to age.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:34 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hron61
The FOB's for the early year C5's (97 - 2000) very often suffer from broken or cracked solder joints on the circuit board inside the plastic case.

I reflowed a few joints (not the green kind) and ever since all has been well. didnt have any tpms code issues but i did have to replace em due to age.
I know all that. I have a 02, my dad used to have a 98 and I've been on this forum for over 10 years.

And I still have yet to see a self healing remote like mine. LOL

I'm convinced he's an Autobot and he decided to fix himself.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
Well, my key fob stopped working without warning.

The battery in the fob is relatively new.-Just a few months old. I replaced it when I noticed I had to be right by my car for it to work.

I tried the relearn procedure and resync and neither of those worked. Tried it with my newer and original remote. (Original remote may or may not have had a good battery in it. I also replaced it when the buttons were wearing out)

I BELIEVE, that when I came home yesterday I checked my tire pressure. Don't the remotes and TPM sensors use the same receiver?

Car battery was replace during this past winter, and I have no other problems.

Probably just the fobs themselves....right? Anything else it could be?
Not sure how an inanimate object could be stupid...Have to laugh at such a statement.

On a serious note.. your comments are typical of surface voltage fluctuation. Meaning that over time, the battery will regain lost voltage.

Have you actually measured the voltage of the battery, after you have removed the surface voltage charge? You could have a mechanical failure within the circuit board, or a bad battery.. Just because its New, does not mean that its good, or that the + - connection is secure within the fob.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:33 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Yes, because I meant it being stupid in a literal sense.

I understand surface voltage fluctuation-but it didn't work after the car and remote sat for a few days.....I've been driving my car every other day this week and it's working. If it stops again, I'll just program the new remote I already ordered and received.

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Not sure how an inanimate object could be stupid...Have to laugh at such a statement.

On a serious note.. your comments are typical of surface voltage fluctuation. Meaning that over time, the battery will regain lost voltage.

Have you actually measured the voltage of the battery, after you have removed the surface voltage charge? You could have a mechanical failure within the circuit board, or a bad battery.. Just because its New, does not mean that its good, or that the + - connection is secure within the fob.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:11 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

A quick update. The remote stopped working again last night. Programmed the new remotes and all is well so far. So I think my remote was just worn out
Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Did you ever re-solder the FOB as explained in the post from 8Vette7? Bet that would have fixed your issue. From your posts, it seemed that you just sort of skimmed over that. That would easily explain the sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work. Anyway, glad you've got it going your way now.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

I found a great way to solve the mal-functioning fob, Don't use it.
Put the key in the door lock, lock it when leaving, and unlock it when getting into the car.

A litter old fashion, and basic, but that is the way we all used to get in and out of our vehicles for many,many years.
Sometimes modern technology is not always the best answer.

Worried about how to get into the trunk?
Open the door to the car, push the trunk button on the dash, and viola, the trunk opens.

Technology is making fools of us all.
We are no longer capable of doing our own thinking.
We have come to the point where we can't do anything on our own.
We rely on gadgetry to do all our thinking for us.

A simple thing like gaining access to our vehicles , has morphed into a technological nightmare for some, in wondering how one will gain access to their vehicles if a tiny little chip is not working.

There are those who will argue convenience, and to that I would reply, just how difficult and time consuming is it to put the key in the keyhole, and unlock, and lock the vehicle?

I have absolutely nothing against the OP, but go back and read the original post, then re-read this post, and you will see what I am talking about here.
If you feel it is inconvenient to lock, and unlock your car the old fashion way, then you have a much bigger problem than a non-functioning key fob.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 06-25-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Did you ever re-solder the FOB as explained in the post from 8Vette7? Bet that would have fixed your issue. From your posts, it seemed that you just sort of skimmed over that. That would easily explain the sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work. Anyway, glad you've got it going your way now.
No, I didn't. I have not soldered since an electronics class in high school and don't just have those type of tools lying around. The new remotes are working just fine.

Originally Posted by calguy
I found a great way to solve the mal-functioning fob, Don't use it.
Put the key in the door lock, lock it when leaving, and unlock it when getting into the car.

A litter old fashion, and basic, but that is the way we all used to get in and out of our vehicles for many,many years.
Sometimes modern technology is not always the best answer.

Worried about how to get into the trunk?
Open the door to the car, push the trunk button on the dash, and viola, the trunk opens.

Technology is making fools of us all.
We are no longer capable of doing our own thinking.
We have come to the point where we can't do anything on our own.
We rely on gadgetry to do all our thinking for us.

A simple thing like gaining access to our vehicles , has morphed into a technological nightmare for some, in wondering how one will gain access to their vehicles if a tiny little chip is not working.

There are those who will argue convenience, and to that I would reply, just how difficult and time consuming is it to put the key in the keyhole, and unlock, and lock the vehicle?

I have absolutely nothing against the OP, but go back and read the original post, then re-read this post, and you will see what I am talking about here.
If you feel it is inconvenient to lock, and unlock your car the old fashion way, then you have a much bigger problem than a non-functioning key fob.

Bob.
WOW-that's quite a philosophical post in response to a key fob issue. Took it a little further than we needed to go here. I had no issue using the key to lock and unlock. Not a big deal.

And I've never owned a car without keyless entry.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:42 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
No, I didn't. I have not soldered since an electronics class in high school and don't just have those type of tools lying around. The new remotes are working just fine.

WOW-that's quite a philosophical post in response to a key fob issue. Took it a little further than we needed to go here. I had no issue using the key to lock and unlock. Not a big deal.

And I've never owned a car without keyless entry.
You must be one of the young ones.
We old timers have seen and done it all.
I remember when I was a kid, to start the car, had to push a round pedal on the floor, while engaging the choke by pulling on a **** on the dash.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 06-27-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Key Fob....

Quick Reply: Stupid Key Fob....