Z06 02 c5 z06? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 02 c5 z06?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 PM
  #1  
virginc5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 02 c5 z06?

how can i tell if it has a z06 package
virginc5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:03 PM
  #2  
ArmchairArchitect
CF Senior Member
 
ArmchairArchitect's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Posts: 526
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Write down the VIN # and enter it into carfax.com or autocheck.com.
ArmchairArchitect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
  #3  
grantv
CF Senior Member
 
grantv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 4,368
Thanked 388 Times in 359 Posts
Default

If it's an 02 and an FRC, it's a Z. Why the doubt?
grantv is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM
  #4  
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member
 
MY03C5Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Suck it Tom Brady - Go Birds! 🦅 - PA
Posts: 4,859
Thanked 81 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grantv View Post
If it's an 02 and an FRC, it's a Z. Why the doubt?
Exactly, pretty tough to fake an 02 model year frc car. Only thing that worried me about mine when I bought it was if it was an ls6, I was concerned it could have been replaced at some point by a base ls1. Easy to see the 243 head stampings, that's one way to confirm it has an ls6. That's still no guarantee but it's a pretty safe bet imo.
MY03C5Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 AM
  #5  
grantv
CF Senior Member
 
grantv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 4,368
Thanked 388 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z View Post
Exactly, pretty tough to fake an 02 model year frc car. Only thing that worried me about mine when I bought it was if it was an ls6, I was concerned it could have been replaced at some point by a base ls1. Easy to see the 243 head stampings, that's one way to confirm it has an ls6. That's still no guarantee but it's a pretty safe bet imo.
Yep... a while back a member found out his Z had a base motor. Wonder what ever happened with that.
grantv is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 AM
  #6  
glbeauchamp
CF Senior Member
 
glbeauchamp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Douglas County WI
Posts: 500
Thanked 65 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z View Post
Exactly, pretty tough to fake an 02 model year frc car. Only thing that worried me about mine when I bought it was if it was an ls6, I was concerned it could have been replaced at some point by a base ls1. Easy to see the 243 head stampings, that's one way to confirm it has an ls6. That's still no guarantee but it's a pretty safe bet imo.
Where exactly would one look to see this 243 stamp on the heads?
glbeauchamp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 AM
  #7  
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member
 
MY03C5Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Suck it Tom Brady - Go Birds! 🦅 - PA
Posts: 4,859
Thanked 81 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by glbeauchamp View Post
Where exactly would one look to see this 243 stamp on the heads?
I believe this is on the driver side, you can clearly see it even with the valve cover on.




MY03C5Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MY03C5Z For This Useful Post:
glbeauchamp (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM
  #8  
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member
 
MY03C5Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Suck it Tom Brady - Go Birds! 🦅 - PA
Posts: 4,859
Thanked 81 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grantv View Post
Yep... a while back a member found out his Z had a base motor. Wonder what ever happened with that.
Yeah that was my only worry when I bought mine, that would really suck to find out later. I checked for the 243 heads when I bought mine from a used car dealer, I figured that was a pretty good sign it was correct. Even then it could be an ls1 block with 243 heads. Probably a way to tell if it's an ls6 block too, I dynod mine and that pretty much confirmed for me it was correct. (363whp)
MY03C5Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 PM
  #9  
mykream
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Massillon Ohio
Posts: 204
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

The passenger side head, up front will be the most visible for the stamping.
mykream is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:50 PM
  #10  
grantv
CF Senior Member
 
grantv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 4,368
Thanked 388 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mykream View Post
The passenger side head, up front will be the most visible for the stamping.
Yep. It's stamped on the heads bottom right corner. That places it easy to see on the PS side, kinda behind/under the brake booster DS.
grantv is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM
  #11  
C5SCCA
CF Senior Member
 
C5SCCA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 568
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I've seen two C6Zs in the Tulsa area with wet sump ls2/3 motors...Neither advertisement stated that. You can't be too careful!
C5SCCA is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C5SCCA For This Useful Post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 PM
  #12  
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member
 
MY03C5Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Suck it Tom Brady - Go Birds! 🦅 - PA
Posts: 4,859
Thanked 81 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C5SCCA View Post
I've seen two C6Zs in the Tulsa area with wet sump ls2/3 motors...Neither advertisement stated that. You can't be too careful!
I knew that was going to start happening with the c6z's. With all the head problems and engine failures out there combined with the cost of an LS7 crate engine, people were bound to start replacing them with LS2/3's. Talk about being screwed over buying one of those! That would seriously suck...
MY03C5Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MY03C5Z For This Useful Post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 AM
  #13  
grantv
CF Senior Member
 
grantv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 4,368
Thanked 388 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z View Post
I knew that was going to start happening with the c6z's. With all the head problems and engine failures out there combined with the cost of an LS7 crate engine, people were bound to start replacing them with LS2/3's. Talk about being screwed over buying one of those! That would seriously suck...
...and pretty much no legal recourse. After all, it is still a Z06. That'd be a tough fight.
grantv is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 AM
  #14  
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member
 
MY03C5Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Suck it Tom Brady - Go Birds! 🦅 - PA
Posts: 4,859
Thanked 81 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grantv View Post
...and pretty much no legal recourse. After all, it is still a Z06. That'd be a tough fight.
I would definitely do my homework before buying one these days that's for sure...
MY03C5Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
02FirstVette
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted
2
02-20-2018 10:44 PM
SLOW06!
C7 Z06 Discussion
15
12-15-2016 08:57 AM
Sburngasser
C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted
8
11-08-2016 10:06 AM
turboffr
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted
3
11-03-2016 07:04 PM
novasscnc
C5 General
2
09-12-2016 07:37 PM

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: