Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiny oil pan leak. Have any of you done this without a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Tiny oil pan leak. Have any of you done this without a lift?

Looks like my balancer scrubbed a tiny hole in the oil pan when it shifted back. Since I didn't know I didn't ask to have it fixed along with the balancer and rear end. Thus, I am considering just swapping the oil pan myself. I think I have found the part. Crossing fingers. So I will find gaskets and tear into it. But it will be me, jackstands and garage floor. Any advice?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
Looks like my balancer scrubbed a tiny hole in the oil pan when it shifted back. Since I didn't know I didn't ask to have it fixed along with the balancer and rear end. Thus, I am considering just swapping the oil pan myself. I think I have found the part. Crossing fingers. So I will find gaskets and tear into it. But it will be me, jackstands and garage floor. Any advice?
Since we have 2 piece oil pans, is it the top or the bottom piece?

If its the top there is no trick, you will have to drop the cradle to replace it. If its the bottom piece its easy as pie. If its the whole pan:

Its about an 8-10 hour job. Once you dig into it, you may just wish you had the shop do it.

quotes are anywhere from 600-1200 depending.

Someone did a tiny writeup, look at post 3

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-removal.html

Last edited by midnight01; 06-19-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:08 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I have dropped the front cradle in my garage on jack stands. I used a motor cycle jack that worked great to do the job. The motor will have to be supported from above while you drop the cradle and while you remove and replace the oil pan. I have an engine lift that worked for that.

You will need these or other similar tools to do the job. It was not that hard just took a lot of time. Good luck getting your oil pan replaced.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Originally Posted by zachaeous
I have dropped the front cradle in my garage on jack stands. I used a motor cycle jack that worked great to do the job. The motor will have to be supported from above while you drop the cradle and while you remove and replace the oil pan. I have an engine lift that worked for that.

You will need these or other similar tools to do the job. It was not that hard just took a lot of time. Good luck getting your oil pan replaced.
I have a cherry picker that I can use for support. I just spoke with the mechanic that changed the balancer. He doesn't think the leak is the pan itself. He suspects that it damaged the gasket where the rub mark was and that the pan is likely still fine. He said it didn't even manifest until the test drive so its probably just seeping from that point. With the car at 3000 rpm up on the lift this morning it was putting out one drop every 45 seconds or so. My buddy breaking it in drove the entire 500 mile break in period and lost about a quarter quart. So not too bad. When he parked it over night it dripped about enough on the ground to cover a one dollar bill.

Thoughts?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:57 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Im surprised the shop that replaced the balancer did not replace the seal. When my shop did mine they did it without even asking but im glad they did. If its the seal the balancer has to come off again to replace it. I would do it because to remember to put a quart of oil in every couple hundred miles will get on your nerves and it could get worse. The higher the rpms the more pressure.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Originally Posted by midnight01
Im surprised the shop that replaced the balancer did not replace the seal. When my shop did mine they did it without even asking but im glad they did. If its the seal the balancer has to come off again to replace it. I would do it because to remember to put a quart of oil in every couple hundred miles will get on your nerves and it could get worse. The higher the rpms the more pressure.
The replaced the seal in the timing cover around the shaft. It's the actual oil pan gasket that was apparently rubbed when the pulley walked back.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:09 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 774 Posts

Can you see the hole? If you can, why not have someone spot weld for the fix? Had a VW that I ran over something in the road that punchured the gas tank. Took it to my mechanic and he spot welded at fix.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:10 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

The way the pan gasket seals I would investigate the leak fully before I assumed it was the pan and not the front cover. Look at the picture of the gasket and notice how it seals:

The black strip is the seal and is towards the rear of the pan lip. I have seen holes worn into the front cover as well as the pan and could possibly leak from there.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Originally Posted by zachaeous
The way the pan gasket seals I would investigate the leak fully before I assumed it was the pan and not the front cover. Look at the picture of the gasket and notice how it seals:

The black strip is the seal and is towards the rear of the pan lip. I have seen holes worn into the front cover as well as the pan and could possibly leak from there.
Thank you. That is very helpful.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Once you've isolated the leak and it is the pan gasket, maybe a simple dab of RTV... Might work, might not, but worth a shot to save some time...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
Once you've isolated the leak and it is the pan gasket, maybe a simple dab of RTV... Might work, might not, but worth a shot to save some time...
And hassle

Get notified of new replies

To Tiny oil pan leak. Have any of you done this without a lift?

Quick Reply: Tiny oil pan leak. Have any of you done this without a lift?