Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highest Water C5 Can Drive Thru?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:22 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Ironically enough, I started this thread yesterday....and guess what. Monsoon at 4:40am on the way to work. With umbrella, I'm wet from knees down and little damp above that. 45mph on the interstate on the way to work. Not real standing water, least not yet. Had I had time, I may have rode the bike, but I have to run errands after work but according to weather channel, it should quit in an hour or so and be dry rest of the day, so my fingers are crossed.

Gotta love Louisiana's random morning downpours!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:12 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

This question makes me wonder how you're smart enough to have a good enough job to afford any car, much less a Vette.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
This question makes me wonder how you're smart enough to have a good enough job to afford any car, much less a Vette.
Me?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Y'all know there is balsa wood within the frame of the C5 right?
Why are we even having this conversation?
Yes, that wood is supposed to be sealed. Key word: "supposed".
Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Me?
I think you should put a Vararam intake on the car, play U-Boat commander and report back.....jus sayin
Old 06-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '18

I think you should put a Vararam intake on the car, play U-Boat commander and report back.....jus sayin
OP could always adapt an OTS snorkel kit, maybe even go with a modified hood and a Lexan scoop direct plumbed into the throttlebody.

The following users liked this post:
FASTFATBOY (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Man. We've been getting beat lately down here in Louisiana. I can't even cut my grass. I'm in Lafayette and it's ok because I'm not a little south where most of the areas flooded last year.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:26 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Acid666
Man. We've been getting beat lately down here in Louisiana. I can't even cut my grass. I'm in Lafayette and it's ok because I'm not a little south where most of the areas flooded last year.
Yep, same here. It is currently monsooning here.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:40 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

My grass is bad right now too, won't be able to cut it for at least another week...assuming we don't get anymore. I don't know what the deal is with all this rain and flash flooding lately, it's pretty unreal. I don't recall this ever happening this frequently before, typically once in a blue moon.

I'm just nervous now after flooding the WS6 and all this flash flooding lately. I'd never have guessed 6" of water would have flooded out the WS6 so with the C5 bottom feeding air also I'd rather look dumb and least have an idea on my limits. Thread served it's purpose even though if possible I'll be taking the busa as needed. And the stock airbox is staying, maybe toss in a better filter and call it a day.

I'm still kind of curious how aftermarket air intakes keep water off them? I don't know if it's just my car, but my stock airbox gets wet as it is. Filter stays dry, but if I had anything else that doesn't have a cover, I'm curious how they stay dry, if they do?
Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Anyone know how deep a C5 can go? Obviously I'll never go through water past the door sill, but curious how high it can be and still drive through it. BTW, also still running the stock airbox.
Depends if you're running a Vararam or not!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:00 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

My grass is bad right now too, won't be able to cut it for at least another week...assuming we don't get anymore. I don't know what the deal is with all this rain and flash flooding lately, it's pretty unreal. I don't recall this ever happening this frequently before, typically once in a blue moon.

I'm just nervous now after flooding the WS6 and all this flash flooding lately. I'd never have guessed 6" of water would have flooded out the WS6 so with the C5 bottom feeding air also I'd rather look dumb and least have an idea on my limits. Thread served it's purpose even though if possible I'll be taking the busa as needed. And the stock airbox is staying, maybe toss in a better filter and call it a day.

I'm still kind of curious how aftermarket air intakes keep water off them? I don't know if it's just my car, but my stock airbox gets wet as it is. Filter stays dry, but if I had anything else that doesn't have a cover, I'm curious how they stay dry, if they do?

So are you going to walk out into the deepest part of the water with a tape measure to see how deep it is prior to going through it or??????
Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

So are you going to walk out into the deepest part of the water with a tape measure to see how deep it is prior to going through it or??????
Nah, just see about where 5" is on the car and open the door IF I have to and reverse out if needed. I'll avoid any water if at all possible, but my main concern is an area getting out of contractors gate at the plant I work at. There's one spot that drains within a couple of hours, but have to cross to get on the road. Worse case, I'll just go back to my office and wait it out if needed. I don't mind a little OT or just play on the internet
Old 06-30-2017, 10:39 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Nah, just see about where 5" is on the car and open the door IF I have to and reverse out if needed. I'll avoid any water if at all possible, but my main concern is an area getting out of contractors gate at the plant I work at. There's one spot that drains within a couple of hours, but have to cross to get on the road. Worse case, I'll just go back to my office and wait it out if needed. I don't mind a little OT or just play on the internet
Smart move. Not worth ruining your car to save a a little time.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Merkle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I can shine some light on this from personal experience.

First of all, sorry your lost your WS6 to a flood.

A little background:
I'm from BR, my house flooded bad back in August from the great flood of 2016.
I had my C5 in the garage, and it got about 1" in the car. My car was saved by using a Quickjack (Not plugging the product, but they shared my story on their website.) http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickja...uisiana-flood/

Ok, the answer to your question is a 2 part-er.
How much water can it take?
Measure from the bottom of the BCM to the ground, in most C5's that's about 4-6" depending on tire size, and ride height.
Second part, is duration of water exposure.
I got about 1" inside of the car, it came in through the same holes that you mount the little "stay-in" rubber pucks on, it's the only hole I can find down there. Or it seeped in through the bottom of the composite floor and the body, not sure since the car was exposed to water for over 24 hours, and I was long gone.

Furthermore, I'm helping a buddy 'restore' a C5 that got flooded about 3" inside the car.
BCM, and all the seat wiring is shot, rest of the car seems to be doing ok, and he's put several hundred miles on it since.

Summation:

A) Invest in quickjack, or lift, or something to get the car in the air quick, I know how quickly the flood waters come.

B) Don't drive through any standing water, just don't do it in the C5, you'll suck it in the intake.

C) **** floods.

D) For those that clicked on the link to the Quickjack, the Corolla survived 100%, it's still running and driving today.

E) Tagging onto "D)" Buy a Corolla, it survived 18" of water.

Last edited by Merkle; 06-30-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 AM
Merkle
Advanced

My grass is bad right now too,
Most don't.

Mine came with a K&N, and I had to clean it twice before I realized I needed the little rubber strip that goes in-between the hood and the front bumper section.

It keeps things pretty dry in there, but honestly, don't buy the K&N kit, it's a crap piece. SLP Blackwing is a much better unit.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Merkle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acid666
I'll send Ollie over.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:59 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by Merkle
I think I can shine some light on this from personal experience.

First of all, sorry your lost your WS6 to a flood.

A little background:
I'm from BR, my house flooded bad back in August from the great flood of 2016.
I had my C5 in the garage, and it got about 1" in the car. My car was saved by using a Quickjack (Not plugging the product, but they shared my story on their website.) http://www.quickjack.com/why-quickja...uisiana-flood/

Ok, the answer to your question is a 2 part-er.
How much water can it take?
Measure from the bottom of the BCM to the ground, in most C5's that's about 4-6" depending on tire size, and ride height.
Second part, is duration of water exposure.
I got about 1" inside of the car, it came in through the same holes that you mount the little "stay-in" rubber pucks on, it's the only hole I can find down there. Or it seeped in through the bottom of the composite floor and the body, not sure since the car was exposed to water for over 24 hours, and I was long gone.

Furthermore, I'm helping a buddy 'restore' a C5 that got flooded about 3" inside the car.
BCM, and all the seat wiring is shot, rest of the car seems to be doing ok, and he's put several hundred miles on it since.

Summation:

A) Invest in quickjack, or lift, or something to get the car in the air quick, I know how quickly the flood waters come.

B) Don't drive through any standing water, just don't do it in the C5, you'll suck it in the intake.

C) **** floods.

D) For those that clicked on the link to the Quickjack, the Corolla survived 100%, it's still running and driving today.

E) Tagging onto "D)" Buy a Corolla, it survived 18" of water.
I agree with all of those. Coincidentally I actually do own a QuickJack, in fact I plan to put it together this weekend. I actually bought it for my Superlite SLC so while building it, I don't have to work off jack stands. I hope to never see water that high around my house, but at least shop and house is higher than most in my neighborhood. I only have one QuickJack, but if it came down to it, it'll have to go to the SLC. Waaaaaayyyyy too much money tied up in it and I'm just getting started.

F this rain, quite unreal lately. Thanks for the info, never considered QuickJack saving a vehicle if needed.

Originally Posted by Merkle
Most don't.

Mine came with a K&N, and I had to clean it twice before I realized I needed the little rubber strip that goes in-between the hood and the front bumper section.

It keeps things pretty dry in there, but honestly, don't buy the K&N kit, it's a crap piece. SLP Blackwing is a much better unit.
I just meant a K&N replacement filter, as much as I want a real air intake, I'm just too nervous. I did order the hood seal yesterday after the hard rain. Also checked my filter and was dry but the cover and stuff was wet.

Get notified of new replies

To Highest Water C5 Can Drive Thru?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:09 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
Bigger cajones than I have.
That's not smart!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by Patches

This guy and his buddy in another C5 both made it through on the way to a race and also made it through on the return trip.
1) Holy gap Batman! I wonder if he turned up his coil-overs before forging that fjord.
2) Can't tell, but if he was heading to a race track, a lot smarter move would have been having someone tow him through with his tow hook OR loaded him on a trailer and pulled it through.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:20 PM
Merkle
Advanced

I agree with all of those. Coincidentally I actually do own a QuickJack, in fact I plan to put it together this weekend. I actually bought it for my Superlite SLC so while building it, I don't have to work off jack stands. I hope to never see water that high around my house, but at least shop and house is higher than most in my neighborhood. I only have one QuickJack, but if it came down to it, it'll have to go to the SLC. Waaaaaayyyyy too much money tied up in it and I'm just getting started.

F this rain, quite unreal lately. Thanks for the info, never considered QuickJack saving a vehicle if needed.

I just meant a K&N replacement filter, as much as I want a real air intake, I'm just too nervous. I did order the hood seal yesterday after the hard rain. Also checked my filter and was dry but the cover and stuff was wet.
Yeah, I'd get an OEM Z06 intake box with the drop-in of your choice.
They have the best protection, and seem to flow plenty of air.

Dude, deets on the SLC! Sounds awesome.

Quick Reply: Highest Water C5 Can Drive Thru?