Sponsored by:

Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:11 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
I was going to have him mod the console, not put the stereo in. No offense to any shops, but I know how to put in a stereo. I also know how to mod a console, but my billing rate is higher than his.

As for the source unit, you know there is little to do with sound quality based on the source, right? As a matter of fact, I can run a headphone to RCA straight to my amp and the sound quality would not be noticeable between that and a $500+ Kenwood/Pioneer/Sony head unit. So a $69 source will be just fine (no discs needed). All it does is supply the bits to the amp.
Just a heads up... If you can even get him to reply to you, he won't mod your console unless you buy a regular headunit from him.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
There are a ton of sub $100 shallow mount sources available. That was just one of the ones I've been looking at. Once I get a console, I will actually pull the trigger. A stereo is just WAY down on my list of mods.

My only requirements are a **** (I'm old school when it comes to volume), touch screen, and at least 1080 resolution.
I don't think there are any headunits out there with a 1080 screen. Most are 800x480, even the flagship AVH-4200NEX is this resolution. The highest resolution I've been able to find is on the Joying units at 1024x600.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Well, I did it, here are some pictures of the Joying single DIN 7" unit.

It looks decently well from the driver seat, but the gaps are more noticeable from the passenger side. I don't care, I'm always in the driver seat anyways. Hid the GPS antenna up in the halo, kept the mic from the Kenwood it replaced.

​​​​The good: It is visible during the daytime even while wearing sunglasses. The reflective glare isn't as bad as seen in the pictures. Using the stock Bose system with budget Kenwood 3.5s and 6.5s, it sounds fairly good to a non-audiophile. I will say that it sounds clearer (not as muddy) as the Kenwood it replaced, and there is no distortion at high volumes, unlike the Kenwood. Haven't gotten a chance to play with it too much but I like it so far.

The bad: The dimming by illumination wire doesn't work. Volume up button isn't working, going to play with that. Kinda wish I had went with an 8 inch screen, but then it will probably start covering up the climate control or upper vent. A little laggy when browsing the web.

Future plans: Install backup camera. Sort out the illumination issue. Replace the console cigarette lighter socket with one of those USB extensions so that I can screen mirror while leaving the phone in the console.

​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
InfiniteReality (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh you went with the single din
Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi

​​​​​
Nice ****.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:45 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

With Photobucket taking a massive dump on everyone, I don't think I ever shared my Joying 2DIN. I run PowerAmp for music, MX Player for videos, Google Maps for navigation and Car Launcher for the front end.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by InfiniteReality:
niterydr (05-10-2019), STLZCAR (01-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Looks really nice!

By any chance, do you have pictures that are not against the light to better appreciate how it sits within the radio bezel?

Based in your experience, how do you rate it compared to a traditional unit with built-in navigation, Bluetooth, etc?

Last edited by GCG; 10-24-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are these called android units? Do you need a smart phone for them to work?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

They are built on an androids operating system.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Impropercrane
Why are these called android units? Do you need a smart phone for them to work?
They literally run an Android OS, and can be hacked and modified in much the same way as an Android phone. Access to Play Store, and so on.

Other head units run a proprietary OS.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

InfiniteReality I love your setup man, what LEDs did you use all around?

I bought some 'bright white' LEDs for the rear view and footwells and they suck...

I see you did the HVAC, I think I'm going to copy you and use the same blue scheme on the joying... I like it... clean and modern...

I'll have to take HVAC out to fix it, have to resolder the little SMD resistors... no lights on front... might as well change out lights for LEDs too...

If only there was a way to darken the dark grey to be all black on all the trims and interior pieces...
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Nice ****.
Thank you for letting me know where to get it
Old 10-26-2017, 03:05 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by a_ahmed

I bought some 'bright white' LEDs for the rear view and footwells and they suck...

not to butt in but I put these T10 LEDs in my wife's daily driver and in the footwell/rear hatch/glove box of my c5.

They say these "7th gen" bulbs output 300 lumes each; they are quite bright.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by jdmvette; 10-26-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Thank you for letting me know where to get it
Also whatcha think of it? Been looking forward to some other people's reviews.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Also whatcha think of it? Been looking forward to some other people's reviews.
I got it with red LEDs, style 3. I like the feel of it, and the boot is much better than stock.

The red glow isn't as bright as I thought it would be, but it is a nice soft glow. I wired it into one of the lights on the ride selection switch, so it only turns on with those lights. I will say that the top of the shifter does get warm when the LEDs are on, which is an odd feeling. I'm also getting reflection off of the chrome from the orange mirror LED, I'll probably cover that up with electrical tape.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Ok for for guys who have installed this. It doesn’t look like my brackets line up at all. Did you guys have this problem?

Old 04-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
With Photobucket taking a massive dump on everyone, I don't think I ever shared my Joying 2DIN. I run PowerAmp for music, MX Player for videos, Google Maps for navigation and Car Launcher for the front end.
This looks clean. This is exactly what I'm wanting to do. Infinite Reality, if you are out there, how do you like the Joying unit? I'm looking at the same unit, but with 4g ram. Newest model supposed to ship out next month. Just curious to know if you think it would be worth it or save some dough & buy the outgoing one. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install

Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by Scholioso
This looks clean. This is exactly what I'm wanting to do. Infinite Reality, if you are out there, how do you like the Joying unit? I'm looking at the same unit, but with 4g ram. Newest model supposed to ship out next month. Just curious to know if you think it would be worth it or save some dough & buy the outgoing one. Thanks!
I have no major complaints about mine. For a phone I'd want the latest Android, but for a vehicle I'm content with an older version. This is mainly because it's rarely on the home screen, 95% (or more) of the time I have it in PowerAmp app since music is it's main job. Plus it's not like you use it near as much as you do your phone.

On the flip side, I had an older Joying that ran KitKat. The difference between that one and this Marshmallow version was definitely a worthy upgrade would have been worth the extra coin if I'd had a choice.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend is to make sure it has at least 32gb internal storage. My KitKat Joying had 16gb which was fine at first, but 9 months or so later, with the automatic app updates on, it started to run out of space. This is considering I only had a few extra apps so would have required a full wipe had I taken it out of the WS6 to use in the C5

My brother was looking at a 2DIN for his C3 and sent me this. Looking at the specs and especially the appearance of XRROSS brand, I'd be hard pressed not to try it out instead of Joying. 32GB version is $300 shipped. I'd send a link, but don't know if it's okay on CF so here's a pic which you can find easily on eBay.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 AM
Big418stroker
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The fit is ok. I to have a gap on the side where the Metra panel meets the passenger side dash panel. It did bother me at first but I think the color is my issue now.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Scholioso
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
What are you running for the main menu? I really like the way it looks between play, navi, music, torque, internet, apps, etc. Looks clean. I just ordered my Joying unit (newest one, 4gb ram, 32gb storage, etc) & I'm looking forward to it.

For those interested, this is the unit I purchased:
Amazon Amazon

From my research, its the same height wise as the metra opening, but length or width wise, it's about 1/4" difference. So I will have to modify the bezel a little bit. That's ok. Going to paint it & texture it to match the factory dash. I'm thinking satan black paint, & while it's drying I'll use a piece of leather to press around the bezel to give it that textured look. Anybody else have a technique to texture it? Thanks.

Last edited by Scholioso; 04-30-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install