Sponsored by:

Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:26 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
Hmmm... That's too bad. Dennis has a GREAT reputation around here. My experience was 180 from yours. I had him on the phone answering my newbie questions all the time.

You say it does quite well... Does that mean an exact fit, or did you need to modify? And is that what Dennis was referring to?

In any case, what counts is that you are happy with your products!

Congrats!
I agree and wasn't talking bad about him, just was my first experience dealing with him and always read good things about him and why I tried to send my business there. I emailed, he responded saying how it simply wasn't possible without a custom bezel and still didn't answer rest of my questions about other things I planned to purchase from him at the same time. I replied back and asked same questions he didn't answer, never got another response.... I'd gladly would have paid the extra for the bezel if I could have, as well as the other items I planned to buy from him.

Like I explained to Dennis, I know it'd fit with a slight modification. I'm not totally sure what he was talking about why it wouldn't fit. I won't post pics to junk up this thread, I'll wait till I make my own. If you look the OP's picture where he shows his phone, you'll see a border, of sorts, on that's on the left and right side of the headunit. Just like the Metra bezel in the WS6, I had to Dremel that piece off each side and allows the console to slide right over it, like a normal headunit, easy 5min mod. IMO actually looks better with the the headunit filling the entire space and not having the borders on the left/right sides. Seeing how these 2 bezels both had that area on them almost makes me think Metra actually puts those edges on there for just this reason. I'll get some good pictures this weekend, start a thread and post a link in this one so people know the cheap android units fit with this bezel as well.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:31 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I agree and wasn't talking bad about him, just was my first experience dealing with him and always read good things about him and why I tried to send my business there. I emailed, he responded saying how it simply wasn't possible without a custom bezel and still didn't answer rest of my questions about other things I planned to purchase from him at the same time. I replied back and asked same questions he didn't answer, never got another response.... I'd gladly would have paid the extra for the bezel if I could have, as well as the other items I planned to buy from him.

Like I explained to Dennis, I know it'd fit with a slight modification. I'm not totally sure what he was talking about why it wouldn't fit. I won't post pics to junk up this thread, I'll wait till I make my own. If you look the OP's picture where he shows his phone, you'll see a border, of sorts, on that's on the left and right side of the headunit. Just like the Metra bezel in the WS6, I had to Dremel that piece off each side and allows the console to slide right over it, like a normal headunit, easy 5min mod. IMO actually looks better with the the headunit filling the entire space and not having the borders on the left/right sides. Seeing how these 2 bezels both had that area on them almost makes me think Metra actually puts those edges on there for just this reason. I'll get some good pictures this weekend, start a thread and post a link in this one so people know the cheap android units fit with this bezel as well.
Looking forward to seeing your install.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:50 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed one as well 2 weeks ago, fitment is okay for just tossing it in when done. I plan to do the HVAC LEDs so while it's apart again I'll tweak it a bit.

I attempted to give my business to DDMods, but wouldn't answer all my questions...Just went on about how an android headunit won't fit, yet, as I expected, it does quite well. I need to start a thread on it, basically having a tablet in my dash is awesome and 100% customizable.

I have been searching for a android head unit. I was told by many people I would have to cut the bezel. Can you provide info on your android head unit. I saw you went with Joying which is what I am looking at.

Over at XDA forums, they say that Joying is one of the best. I like the idea of a full android system, and I can hook up an obd2 via bluetooth. I did read on some Joying units the cons were:
FM reception is horrible.
SD card slot may or may not work.
Bluetooth calling issues.
Some people reported hooking up a car amp does not work.
Screen brightness is horrible

I understand this can be purely subjective. Also I am looking to root the Joying if I go with it. Please post amy issue you may have.

Thank you

Last edited by johnson333; 06-30-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:06 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by johnson333
I have been searching for a android head unit. I was told by many people I would have to cut the bezel. Can you provide info on your android head unit, make, model. Do you like it, any issues?
http://www.m.ebay.com/itm/232126990526

I was curious about the brand infinitereality said he had and seen that. It's a single din, so you might not have to modify the bezel, but no telling how it would fit, look, and function.I just thought it'd be kinda interesting for someone that didn't wanna cut up their bezel if it'd work for a c5 at all.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 001pewter
http://www.m.ebay.com/itm/232126990526

I was curious about the brand infinitereality said he had and seen that. It's a single din, so you might not have to modify the bezel, but no telling how it would fit, look, and function.I just thought it'd be kinda interesting for someone that didn't wanna cut up their bezel if it'd work for a c5 at all.

This is the model number taken from infintereality's earlier post JY-UL135N2.

This is the direct link to the Joying website.
https://www.carjoying.com/joying-new...-multimed.html
Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

This is the model number taken from infintereality's earlier post JY-UL135N2.

This is the direct link to the Joying website.
https://www.carjoying.com/joying-new...-multimed.html
Those look like some interesting radios. Not sure which way I wanna go. I already have a clarion but need a new bezel and some other dash parts. I swear Bruce Banner installed the radio I had when I purchased the car and got pissed half way through. I'm considering just getting a factory radio and bezel again and hooking the amp and sub to it.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:06 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

I have an aftermarket single din Sony, amp, sub and speakers. It really rocks. I really have no reason to upgrade. But that touchscreen is just irresistible. Really wanting an Android.

I will keep researching and maybe infinitereality will share the experience with the android.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:59 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

I have been searching for a android head unit. I was told by many people I would have to cut the bezel. Can you provide info on your android head unit. I saw you went with Joying which is what I am looking at.

Over at XDA forums, they say that Joying is one of the best. I like the idea of a full android system, and I can hook up an obd2 via bluetooth. I did read on some Joying units the cons were:
FM reception is horrible.
SD card slot may or may not work.
Bluetooth calling issues.
Some people reported hooking up a car amp does not work.
Screen brightness is horrible

I understand this can be purely subjective. Also I am looking to root the Joying if I go with it. Please post amy issue you may have.

Thank you
I can comment on it, although still playing with settings. I do have OBD2 connected and working via Torque.
- Haven't tested FM, older Joying unit I had was terrible but my power antenna didn't work either
- SD card slot works. It has 2, haven't checked the other slot... I think it's for nav, which I need to see if it came with because I didn't get the card for it if so.
- BT isn't great on older unit, but car was loud and it was hard to even talk on the phone like normal. This one, incoming sounds is great, but haven't completely installed the mic yet, debating on where I want to install it, open to options on other people. It seems this may be better
- I have an amp and have 4v remote that works. Just need to ground the amp and my SubThump box is due in today.
- It seems bright at night, I turned it down this morning and was alot better. It has 2 brightness sliders, so think that'll solve it. Originally it wasn't much of a difference but is now. It's great during the day, I get less glare in the C5 than I did in the WS6.

- One major thing I don't like about the android units is there is no on screen controls to turn it up and down. Not a huge deal breaker for me, as I set it with the gains on the amp and I'm good. You do have an EQ through the settings, but I also run PowerAmp which has an even better eq.

- Running PowerAmp it doesn't start playing at start up, but does load and discovered this setting the other day so it does start playing.
If using PowerAmp, you can get it to automatically start playing when app opens and was in settings this whole time! I was using the app mentioned earlier in this thread, but this is way better and more consistent.

PowerAmp Settings > Audio > Audio Focus > Resume on Start.

This newer unit boots up much quicker, even after 10hrs at work it comes right up. There use to be a sleep timer on old unit, but can't find it on this one. I'm fine with it doing quick boot after 10hrs though. I'll have to time it, but maybe takes 20-30 seconds to start playing after the car starts.

Here's my thread for my older unit if interested:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...it-review.html

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 06-30-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:14 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

I can comment on it, although still playing with settings. I do have OBD2 connected and working via Torque.
- Haven't tested FM, older Joying unit I had was terrible but my power antenna didn't work either
- SD card slot works. It has 2, haven't checked the other slot... I think it's for nav, which I need to see if it came with because I didn't get the card for it if so.
- BT isn't great on older unit, but car was loud and it was hard to even talk on the phone like normal. This one, incoming sounds is great, but haven't completely installed the mic yet, debating on where I want to install it, open to options on other people. It seems this may be better
- I have an amp and have 4v remote that works. Just need to ground the amp and my SubThump box is due in today.
- It seems bright at night, I turned it down this morning and was alot better. It has 2 brightness sliders, so think that'll solve it. Originally it wasn't much of a difference but is now. It's great during the day, I get less glare in the C5 than I did in the WS6.

- One major thing I don't like about the android units is there is no on screen controls to turn it up and down. Not a huge deal breaker for me, as I set it with the gains on the amp and I'm good. You do have an EQ through the settings, but I also run PowerAmp which has an even better eq.

- Running PowerAmp it doesn't start playing at start up, but does load and discovered this setting the other day so it does start playing.
If using PowerAmp, you can get it to automatically start playing when app opens and was in settings this whole time! I was using the app mentioned earlier in this thread, but this is way better and more consistent.

PowerAmp Settings > Audio > Audio Focus > Resume on Start.

This newer unit boots up much quicker, even after 10hrs at work it comes right up. There use to be a sleep timer on old unit, but can't find it on this one. I'm fine with it doing quick boot after 10hrs though. I'll have to time it, but maybe takes 20-30 seconds to start playing after the car starts.

Here's my thread for my older unit if interested:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...it-review.html

Excellent. I have used Power amp for years, it just works, it is a great app. One more question, any issues installing apps on the unit.? I recall reading that a certain android unit (not sure if it was Joying) will not come with the play store and you cannot side load it.

I am really leaning towards the Joying. I think the user interfave is a huge improvement over the name brand double dins.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:00 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by unlvrebel

Hmmm... That's too bad. Dennis has a GREAT reputation around here. My experience was 180 from yours. I had him on the phone answering my newbie questions all the time.

You say it does quite well... Does that mean an exact fit, or did you need to modify? And is that what Dennis was referring to?

In any case, what counts is that you are happy with your products!

Congrats!
I basically told him multiple times I could not guarantee fitment with these off branded radios.
I have been doing this for 13 years and over 13000 bezels
These off branded radios are no guarantee to fit anything and all of them are different sizes.
After three times or so of explaining this I just moved on from the conversation as no matter what I said it would not result in the fact that I had no clue if the radio would fit without trimming as I didnt sell it to him.

I said I could only guarantee fitment on a no ash tray bezel we custom make and would need the radio to do so.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:22 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
I basically told him multiple times I could not guarantee fitment with these off branded radios.
I have been doing this for 13 years and over 13000 bezels
These off branded radios are no guarantee to fit anything and all of them are different sizes.
After three times or so of explaining this I just moved on from the conversation as no matter what I said it would not result in the fact that I had no clue if the radio would fit without trimming as I didnt sell it to him.

I said I could only guarantee fitment on a no ash tray bezel we custom make and would need the radio to do so.
You answer ONE email, not 3. Period. Definitely never offered to make me one if I sent you my radio and why would I want a custom bezel anyway for, as expected, a 5min Dremel job? Exaggerate much? You lost my business on several items for never answering my other questions twice and now due to the way you handled your response above, lost a future customer in general. Good job
Old 07-03-2017, 10:04 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You answer ONE email, not 3. Period. Definitely never offered to make me one if I sent you my radio and why would I want a custom bezel anyway for, as expected, a 5min Dremel job? Exaggerate much? You lost my business on several items for never answering my other questions twice and now due to the way you handled your response above, lost a future customer in general. Good job
13000 bezels in 13 years...thats 3 per day.
At $200 in profit per bezel thats 2.6 million dollars.
245,715 C5 produced......so 1/19 have a modified bezel.
The following users liked this post:
InfiniteReality (07-05-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by bb996+r1
13000 bezels in 13 years...thats 3 per day.
At $200 in profit per bezel thats 2.6 million dollars.
245,715 C5 produced......so 1/19 have a modified bezel.
We usually make 5 per day
Not all are c5
We make bezels for many different cars
And supply audio shops all over the us and over seas

And is why we help Metra make other bezels as well as we have to slow down as this stuff is killing us.

Last edited by Double D Mods; 07-03-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Count on it, I think everyone should have an android headunit in their car instead of standard ones. It's even better if your hotspot on your phone is unlocked, like mine on the Pixel XL. Or even have a USB hotspot. This is the 2nd one I've had in a car and be warned it'll spoil you. If I had to go back to a regular unit, I'd been depressed.

Thanks for the review of the console, it's much needed. I don't think some people know about them. One thing I think I'll do to mine after tweaking the fitment is possibly paint it body color. If it doesn't match, least it'll look good not matching.

I have a Joying JYUM135N2. Intel 3GR quad core, 2GB memory, 32GB internal space, microSD slot, 2 USBs, wifi, BT, radio, steering wheel controls, back up camera, PiP and of course Google Play Store,etc...
Hey i am thinking of getting the METRA double din dash for my c5 too and this is really cool 7" android unit.

Do you have any info on your install and what is required.

Right now I have the stock bose system, stock speakers.

I'm interested in this Joying unit, any issues with sound, etc...? I do listen to FM, but would be more interested in bluetooth or aux from the phone.

Last edited by a_ahmed; 10-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 AM
johnson333
Safety Car

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
Hey i am thinking of getting the METRA double din dash for my c5 too and this is really cool 7" android unit.

Do you have any info on your install and what is required.

Right now I have the stock bose system, stock speakers.

I'm interested in this Joying unit, any issues with sound, etc...? I do listen to FM, but would be more interested in bluetooth or aux from the phone.
I have researched the Android head units extensively. I will tell you that with whatever brand HU you will go with you will have to modify the already modified DD bezel. The head unit is about 7mm bigger then the 7 inch opening. Also, pure android head units do have many issues, they are not in demand as a Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. Yoy can do the research on XDA forums, for all the known issues of brand specific android head units. From my research Joying is the best out there as of right now.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

I have researched the Android head units extensively. I will tell you that with whatever brand HU you will go with you will have to modify the already modified DD bezel. The head unit is about 7mm bigger then the 7 inch opening. Also, pure android head units do have many issues, they are not in demand as a Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. Yoy can do the research on XDA forums, for all the known issues of brand specific android head units. From my research Joying is the best out there as of right now.
Where in the XDA forums may I go? Also, are there any corvette c5 owners there?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM
johnson333
Safety Car

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
Where in the XDA forums may I go? Also, are there any corvette c5 owners there?
I am not certain if there are C5 owners in the forum, but here is the link..
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units
a_ahmed (10-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install

Old 10-17-2017, 06:56 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

It's actually pretty simple install though. Follow Metra instructions for relocating HVAC and then you just need to sand/Dremel part of the inside of only the left & right side of the bezel to fit the Android screen. They're ever so slightly wider. It's just sand a bit, test, sand a bit, test, repeat, repeat till it fits. Other than that, fits great.

You do need the module to connect to the Bose. I couldn't tell you the part number as my C5 had an aftermarket 1DIN radio in it when I got it so had that already. That's all you should need other than the bezel itself.
a_ahmed (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:15 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Anyone have any idea what that module is and I am guessing it would go behind the unit?

I eventually want to upgrade the front and rear speakers and eventually get a woofer too. For the time being one step at a time.

Second thing I was wondering Joying came out with an octa core PX5 unit. The ones you guys have is the 'sofia' variant right?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

This is the sofia unit if i'm not mistaken right?

https://www.joying.ca/joying-new-rel...tooth-4-0.html

Quick Reply: Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install