Sponsored by:

Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 PM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install

Hello everyone, I figured I'd share my thoughts and opinion on the Metra DP-3021B dash kit for the C5 Corvette. I decided to go the route of the Metra kit over the hand built piece purely on cost, after buying the car and all the fun stuff that goes with that I didn't have a lot left to spend on the dash kit. I'm not going to detail the whole install, that's been done here and on the web many times and I don't want to add clutter.

The dash kit arrived in a rather large box, apparently drop shipped directly from Metra although I bought it on Amazon. The kit comes with directions, a template for drilling new holes in the dash, the brackets to attach the radio to the dash and some screws. The kit does have some sort of rubberized finish on it, given that I just received this and got it installed I can't speak to the longevity of it. Given my knowledge of this type of surface though, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to rub off if handled often.

The dash kit straight out of the box, nothing damaged in shipping and all the pieces are accounted for.

I haven't put a head unit in a different C5 so I'm not sure how this is done otherwise, but I'd imagine it's a very similar process. The directions tell you to remove both the radio and HVAC control brackets. They also ask to drill 4x 1/8" holes per the template. I've attached the picture with yellow arrows showing the holes, however in my situation I had to use a 7/32" bit to drill out the top hole on each side so the tabs on the HVAC controls would fit. Not a big deal, but the directions are incorrect, at least for the normal twisty **** controls. I'm not sure if the fancy climate controls are different, but just be cognizant of this. There are 2x 1/8" holes to drill for the bottom tabs used to mount the head unit to the dash, you can see them in this picture but I didn't put yellow arrows next to them.

Top holes are 7/32", the one on the right was really close to a clip and the clip was broken during drilling. This doesn't seem to affect the install.

The dash fit into place without any issue, so fitment is perfectly fine, or at least no worse than trying to handle the factory dash. The real downside(s) to this are the "polish" on the kit, namely there are a few gaps that are sort of obvious and really obvious, to the keen eye.

Somewhat large gap on the top left of the unit - my wife didn't notice it until I pointed it out, even then she shrugged and said it didn't bother her. But it stares at me.

Gap along the drivers side of the center console, where the new dash kit meets the arm rest. I know the arm rest can slide forward and back, maybe I have it slid too far backward but the mounting screw holes line up on the inside, so I don't know.

Top right side of the dash leaves just a little tiny bit of the rear of the dash exposed, I find it to be very minor because you really have to look for it and I had to get the camera just right to get this pic, but I figured I'd mention it.

Conclusion:
It costs 1/3 of the amount of one of the custom, hand made dash kits for a double DIN radio. So, is it worth it? For me, currently, yes because the driving factor for purchase was price. I'm not going to say you get what you pay for, because if custom options didn't exist then this would be perfectly acceptable. Also, I've installed many dash kits over the years, for many makes and models and *none* of them can compare to a custom made, hand built dash. They just can't, so expectations should be kept in check. I can't (and won't) tell you what to buy, but this works well enough for me.

Last edited by FinallyAC5; 06-28-2017 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FinallyAC5:
Dark Sarcasm (06-28-2017), TPFKATK (10-26-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the review. The fitment would bother me for a while but I'd probably get over it. Thanks again!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

It looks pretty good. The difference in blacks would bother me more than the small gaps.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 658 Likes on 527 Posts

Thanks very much for the photos! Now if we can get somebody to do the same for the VetteNuts version -- I see the appeal of the Amazon Metra price, but wonder if the VettNuts version would be worth the extra $50. How did the cup holder turn out -- not clear from the listing photos.
All that being said -- how do you like the Pioneer head unit? Speaker selection -- or still running the stockers?

Last edited by redzg; 06-28-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 PM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redzg
Thanks very much for the photos! Now if we can get somebody to do the same for the VetteNuts version -- I see the appeal of the Amazon Metra price, but wonder if the VettNuts version would be worth the extra $50. How did the cup holder turn out -- not clear from the listing photos.
All that being said -- how do you like the Pioneer head unit? Speaker selection -- or still running the stockers?
You'll be happy to know that it's slightly more useful than the stock one - it has a rubberized bottom and sides (that's removable for cleaning) and doesn't have silly lid that you have to fight. I use it for holding my phone, a LG G6 (old Asus phone used for reference).

Still small and shallow but has a rubber insert.

Holds a mobile phone about the same as the stock one, albeit without the lid to contend with.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 PM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redzg
The head unit is fine - I sold and installed car audio 15 years ago or so and the times have changed. Back then a head unit with a screen that was even 10% as capable as this would have cost at least $1k and taken a LOT of work to install. This Pioneer unit is pretty good, it's the AVH-X490BS and cost about $250 on Amazon. The speaker suck, the stock system sucks, so another future project will be deciding how to upgrade the rest of it.

Last edited by FinallyAC5; 06-28-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So that huge gap on the side where it meets the console isn't just because you had it all apart? The smaller gaps wouldn't bother me but that looks like an inch or so.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 PM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
So that huge gap on the side where it meets the console isn't just because you had it all apart? The smaller gaps wouldn't bother me but that looks like an inch or so.
I'll try refitting it in the morning and get back with you, but thinking about it I doubt it because moving the armrest forward any more would mean that it'd impact the stability control part. We'll see, but I doubt it.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 AM
Bob_VII
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You definitely need to slide the armrest forward. The front edges of the plastic actually fit underneath the console's rear contour. Plus your stability control panel doesn't even look like it's snapped in, the front edge should be about level with the lip of the indentation.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:38 AM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob_VII
You definitely need to slide the armrest forward. The front edges of the plastic actually fit underneath the console's rear contour. Plus your stability control panel doesn't even look like it's snapped in, the front edge should be about level with the lip of the indentation.
That very well may be the case, I didn't have time to adjust it this morning before work but I'll definitely have a few minutes to throw at it tonight. I found snapping the stability control piece back in to be a bit of a pain, it kept popping back out of the socket. There is a little lip on the stability control piece that snaps into the dash, so I think it's on there but I'll double check all that tonight. If that's the case then I'll happily update the post and remove the comments and picture showing that it looks incorrect. Thanks Bob!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Curious about the HVAC mounting... I suspect that the angle of the Metra and stock bezels are different from the original HVAC opening on down. In a custom bezel, not only do you have to relocate the HVAC unit down, but you need to shim it out to account for the shape of the bezel... You didn't mention having to anything like that in the Metra application...
Old 06-29-2017, 03:58 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

I ordered this bezel from DD Mods, I think I paid $20 or so more, but Dennis has textured and painted the bezel. I will post pictures as well when it arrives and I install. I agree it is a cheaper alternative for us who are on budget. Your right though, you cant beat a custom bezel.

Thanks for your post.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:02 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

You're only talking about $60 between the Metra bezel and a modified bezel...
chasboy (05-02-2018)
Old 06-29-2017, 04:08 PM
johnson333
Safety Car

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
You're only talking about $60 between the Metra bezel and a modified bezel...
From my understanding you have to purchase the head unit with "your" bezel being sent in to be modified. If you buy a modified bezel replacement, they start at $499.00 per the website.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:16 AM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Ok, so I was able to get the arm rest moved around this evening and you guys were absolutely correct, I didn't have it far enough forward, so I rescind my prior comment about the dash kit not snugging up to the armrest.
The following 2 users liked this post by FinallyAC5:
redzg (06-30-2017), tdf01cycling (10-19-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:06 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I just installed one as well 2 weeks ago, fitment is okay for just tossing it in when done. I plan to do the HVAC LEDs so while it's apart again I'll tweak it a bit.

I attempted to give my business to DDMods, but wouldn't answer all my questions...Just went on about how an android headunit won't fit, yet, as I expected, it does quite well. I need to start a thread on it, basically having a tablet in my dash is awesome and 100% customizable.
ArmchairArchitect (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 AM
FinallyAC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I just installed one as well 2 weeks ago, fitment is okay for just tossing it in when done. I plan to do the HVAC LEDs so while it's apart again I'll tweak it a bit.

I attempted to give my business to DDMods, but wouldn't answer all my questions...Just went on about how an android headunit won't fit, yet, as I expected, it does quite well. I need to start a thread on it, basically having a tablet in my dash is awesome and 100% customizable.
Yes, please do a write up! What head unit did you use? The one I got is sufficient, but having all the Android stuff at my fingertips in the car would be really wonderful.

Get notified of new replies

To Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install

Old 06-30-2017, 07:38 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FinallyAC5
Yes, please do a write up! What head unit did you use? The one I got is sufficient, but having all the Android stuff at my fingertips in the car would be really wonderful.
Count on it, I think everyone should have an android headunit in their car instead of standard ones. It's even better if your hotspot on your phone is unlocked, like mine on the Pixel XL. Or even have a USB hotspot. This is the 2nd one I've had in a car and be warned it'll spoil you. If I had to go back to a regular unit, I'd been depressed.

Thanks for the review of the console, it's much needed. I don't think some people know about them. One thing I think I'll do to mine after tweaking the fitment is possibly paint it body color. If it doesn't match, least it'll look good not matching.

I have a Joying JYUM135N2. Intel 3GR quad core, 2GB memory, 32GB internal space, microSD slot, 2 USBs, wifi, BT, radio, steering wheel controls, back up camera, PiP and of course Google Play Store,etc...

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 06-30-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the good review and for adding the pics.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:26 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by johnson333
From my understanding you have to purchase the head unit with "your" bezel being sent in to be modified. If you buy a modified bezel replacement, they start at $499.00 per the website.
Or you can send yours in for quite a bit less than $499. I do know that he gives good pricing on a package deal. It's always worth giving him a call and talking through your needs. This past Christmas I went with a Kenwood Excelon 9903, JL RD 900/5 amp, JL C2-525x in back, JL C2-650x in front, JL 8W3 sub with stealth box AND a brand new bezel... I won't quote the price as I don't think that it would be fair, but based on pricing of the electronics at the time, there were throw ins...

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality

Hmmm... That's too bad. Dennis has a GREAT reputation around here. My experience was 180 from yours. I had him on the phone answering my newbie questions all the time.

You say it does quite well... Does that mean an exact fit, or did you need to modify? And is that what Dennis was referring to?

In any case, what counts is that you are happy with your products!

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Metra DP-3021B Review - 2 DIN Install