Corvettes at Carlisle: I Have No Idea What I Want - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes at Carlisle: I Have No Idea What I Want

Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
JohnRogers
CF Senior Member

Default Corvettes: I Have No Idea What I Want

I'm going to Corvettes at Carlisle to shop for my Corvette. Problem is I'm no longer sure what the hell I want anymore...

Although I’m a Mopar guy I did briefly enjoy C4 ownership back in 2001, every red blooded American gearhead should own a Corvette. My 1996 LT4 was a blast to drive but eventually family situations changed and a few years later the modern Dodge Challenger called to me. As I opened my business in 2014 the fun stuff was sold.

It is time for something other than the family truckster grocery getter. I have a modest budget this time.

Roger Moore
My wife and I are of the generation that pictures the C3 shape in our minds when someone says Corvette. The C3 is the Roger Moore James Bond of the car world. Stunning in its inception but hung around too long becoming a punchline, yet when someone says James Bond its Roger Moore in the mind’s eye. You don’t see that iconic shape on the road much anymore. Yes the C3 is truly iconic. If you skip the chrome bumper cars it can be a bargain driver. So I was fixated on a 1978-1982 as a fun driver my wife and I can enjoy on weekend road trips. The ultimate goal the 82 CE, fuel injection a nice plus.

Then I made the mistake of looking in the C4 For Sale section…

Familiar Territory
A fine well cared for ‘96 CE priced right. I always liked that ‘96 CE. Automatic this time so my better half can drive it too. Dependable enough for carefree cross country driving yet I’ve seen this movie before. Been there, done that. The late C4 is a clean shape yet unremarkable but maybe I need to consider the C4 while at Carlisle. The ulitmaite driver bargain…so I thought.

Then I read an article at Road & Track http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...old-or-bought/

Modern Day Warrior Mean-Mean Stride
The C5 is the ultimate driving bargain. An LS1, transaxle, hydroform boxed frame, American torque brute. The Corvette that can compete with the best of Europe and Japan. It has everything a guy familiar with modern muscle cars can relate with and enjoy. They are everywhere, seen yet un-noticed. What sane man passes up the C5?

What Corvette do I leave Carlisle with? On the subject, tips for smooth car corral transactions would also be appreciated.

Last edited by JohnRogers; 09-11-2017 at 06:43 PM.
JohnRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Heart of Missouri Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00
Thanked 2,256 Times in 2,026 Posts

Unless you can narrow it down to a particular generation of Corvette that you are interested in, it's hard to place this in a section that may give you some answers to all your questions. Unfortunately, the Intros section is not an appropriate place, especially since you have a number of posts under your belt.

I am going to move this to the C5 General section since that is one of the cars you are potentially interested in. Hope you get some good advice there.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
striper
CF Senior Member

The C5 is the most user friendly Corvette of the models you have considered. Best ingress/egress of them all. Excellent power even when totally stock, great reliability, excellent gas mileage, large trunk, smooth ride, excellent handling. I can't think of any negatives if you make a C5 your choice.
striper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to striper For This Useful Post:
ArmchairArchitect (07-10-2017), chasboy (07-14-2017), friou (07-14-2017), Rico7142 (09-12-2017), whalepirot (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
Keith Richards
CF Senior Member

Get the newest , low mileage C5 your budget allows. I am a Mopar guy as well with a '72 road runner, '70 Challenger R/T low 9 second drag car and a '04 3500 diesel Ram to pull it so I think it was quite a shock when we bought our '98 C5 about 4 years ago to people that know us, a C4 vette was on my bucket list but the more I looked the C5 was so much ahead of the C4 that is what I sought out and wasn't that much more money. The wife at the time hated the idea about getting a vette but after she drove it a few times she loved it as much as I so much that earlier this year we bought her her own C6 to share daily driver duties with her '07 GT mustang. Good luck with your search.

Keith Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
capevettes
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Best bang for the buck in a relatively modern Corvette is, without question, any C5.
capevettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Skyhawk23
CF Senior Member

I too was like you when I first start shopping for my dream Corvette. My fixation went even further back to the C2 era. But it seem that the more I looked, read, and study the spec from the C2, C3 etc, on up to the C6 then I finally decided on a hunt for my C5. I didn't want a Z06 or anything just a base.

Understand that they all hace their own demonic issue with the different class and era, but I think the C5 is the best looking and bang for the bucks, imho.

I have found my Corvette, good luck to find yours.
Skyhawk23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

When I went on the hunt, I was thinking C4 the whole way, since like you, I had one in the past, a pretty nice 87, red on red. I honed in on a low mile 96 LT4 and was ready to make the call and negotiate the purchase. At the same time, just for grins, I did some searches on the C5 and then I read some info regarding design, and in particular the design of the Z06. So, suddenly, I began to gain interest in the Z and the more I looked at what was out there, the more interested I got. I could not believe you could pick up a less than 20K mile, like new time capsule Z06 for ridiculously cheap. Next think you know, I have one in my garage and I do not regret the purchase at all. What a car!! It puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it and I feel like I am in a race car. I still want to get a C4 or even a C3 but I am not getting rid of the C5 to do it!
02BlownZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
stingray71
CF Senior Member

Getting a newer generation (C5) would be better than the C4 but it may depend on your budget. For C5, you should try to target 2001-2004 models.
Sellers who want to upgrade to a newer C6 or C7 will be more motivated to sell because it will help them fund their next car and make space in the garage.
stingray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

The C5 FRC is one of my bargin favorites. The C5Z is what I would buy with the '04 Commerative Edition on the top of my list.

I saw a beautiful C5 FRC with high mileage last year for around $10k.
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
ArmchairArchitect
CF Senior Member

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)

The C5Z (and base C5) is the ultimate bargain of ANY sports car. I was looking at Porsche 911s and other vehicles, and ultimately decided on the C5Z. Both financially and emotionally, it was 110% the right decision.
ArmchairArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
whalepirot
CF Senior Member

I'd suggest lookiing at the various generations, getting as fmailiar as possile with how liveable you find them. Things like driver interface, entry/exit dictate ownership satisfaction way longer than appearance. That way you've narrowed your Carlisle search to color and model. My wife will ride in the C5, but not my modified Shinoda C4.

Aside from the positives above, I prefer the overall technology level, especially the electronic features, over newer cars, haivng had poor experiences with BMW and Subaru. At times I'd like navigation, but it's not worth changing.
whalepirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
acuevo
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
Modern Day Warrior Mean-Mean Stride
A Rush fan I see!

Well you'll find some mean mean pride here in the C5 section. I'll reiterate what eveyone else has said and the only non opinion we can give you: The C5 is more reliable and performs better than both the 3rd and 4th generation. Styling, comfort, status, all that is something you have to decide. I love my C5 but I still want a 4 and a 3 one day, so I really understand where you're coming from.

Go C5 😎
acuevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acuevo For This Useful Post:
02BlownZ06 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
02BlownZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuevo View Post
A Rush fan I see!

Go C5 😎
I didn't catch the first time I read it. Nice!!!!!
02BlownZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
JohnRogers
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuevo View Post
A Rush fan I see!
Guilty as charged.

Quote:
Well you'll find some mean mean pride here in the C5 section. I'll reiterate what eveyone else has said and the only non opinion we can give you: The C5 is more reliable and performs better than both the 3rd and 4th generation. Styling, comfort, status, all that is something you have to decide.
Oh you can probably add comfort to the non-opinion/fact list. Corvette engineers learned about ergonomics a long the way and despite the automotive magazines constant complaining seats got better. I think the C7 seats were finally rated "adequate to good".

Thank you all for chiming in, much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #15
MY03C5Z
CF Senior Member

C5z. Best bang for the buck sports car available. With just LT's, vararam, tune and some good tires it feels and sounds like a street legal race car.
MY03C5Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #16
JohnRogers
CF Senior Member

I see many Z06 for sale here but I'm just looking for a stock base coupe.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnRogers For This Useful Post:
juanvaldez (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #17
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Get on autotrader.com. Winter is the best time to buy a Corvette.
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juanvaldez For This Useful Post:
JohnRogers (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #18
JohnRogers
CF Senior Member

I was just looking at Autotrader. Thanks for the winter tip, buying later in the year works better for me anyway.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #19
redzg
CF Senior Member

Do yourself a GIANT favor and read all the valuable information in the 'newbies must read' thread. I love my C5 -- such a world better car than my C3 from years ago it's nearly impossible to compare the two. BuT: it's a '99, and has far too many of the failings common to the vintage. Later versions have fewer issues, but all are worth knowing in advance!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html
redzg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redzg For This Useful Post:
JohnRogers (07-10-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 01:54 AM   #20
JohnRogers
CF Senior Member

I've been spending a lot of time researching the C5. At this point revisiting the C4 experience is totally out. Because the C5 offers a performance bargain rarely seen and my next Corvette will be a road trip car to enjoy with my wife. Ignoring the comfort and practically of the C5 seems foolish. It is very likely the late year C3 is out as well.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Corvettes at Carlisle: I Have No Idea What I Want
  •