Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ramp to get C5 into/out of driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Any ramp to get C5 into/out of driveway?

Mine is a stock suspension 2000 A4 coupe. House is only 6 years old and at the end of my driveway (where driveway meets the street) the last 3-4 feet of driveway is quite "steep". This is because the last 3-4 feet of driveway has handicapped accessible concrete walkway across it. If I were to pull the car straight in or out of driveway, the bottom of front bumper scrapes...badly.

So I've been pulling into and out of driveway almost sideways at a ridiculous angle. I think I might have broken a piece of suspension because now it "creeks" when angling in/out of driveway slowly (sounds like it's coming from suspension--not the body flexing).Anyways, I want to be able to get into and out of driveway more easily. Can't use cold patch on sidewalk crossing driveway (townhouse with HOA). Any ramps I could buy? I haven't found anything. Any idea what I may have broken going in/out at ridiculous, nearly sideways angle?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Trickster
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts

You could google something like "curb ramp driveway" and see if any of those would help you. I also have to take my driveway at an angle and go slowly.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
Mine is a stock suspension 2000 A4 coupe. House is only 6 years old and at the end of my driveway (where driveway meets the street) the last 3-4 feet of driveway is quite "steep". This is because the last 3-4 feet of driveway has handicapped accessible concrete walkway across it. If I were to pull the car straight in or out of driveway, the bottom of front bumper scrapes...badly.

So I've been pulling into and out of driveway almost sideways at a ridiculous angle. I think I might have broken a piece of suspension because now it "creeks" when angling in/out of driveway slowly (sounds like it's coming from suspension--not the body flexing).Anyways, I want to be able to get into and out of driveway more easily. Can't use cold patch on sidewalk crossing driveway (townhouse with HOA). Any ramps I could buy? I haven't found anything. Any idea what I may have broken going in/out at ridiculous, nearly sideways angle?

Thanks for any help.
I can offer some help.. since your house is only 6 years old, you may live in a subdivision of similar homes. This can become a problem with your local municipality.. Since handicapped access ahs been given they are conforming to the latest codes.

the simple fix would be a plate that would be placed between your drive and the street to lower the access angle, but you will have to get it approved through your municipality.. and I doubt they will allow it..

You can offer photos of your problem and ask your municipal engineer to give you a legal solution to this problem since if effect you financially. by damaging your car, because the angle is too aggressive

Just some thoughts, this wont be easy.. you could always have a couple of 2 X 10's that you can place when you enter or leave but that would quickly get old.. you would have to remove them from the street once you entered or left the property.

Good luck
Bill aka ET
Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for any help.
http://www.bridjit.com/

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/cat...FRIGhgod-HkKSA

Last edited by alxltd1; 02-07-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Pictures from 5 minutes ago. Dark, I know. I apologize.

Where the flat concrete meets the angled concrete is the problem. I need something at a long, shallow angle that is like 10 feet wide and can't find anything for this type of situation.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I think you are "hosed" short of a removable solution. I have a similar problem where my alley meets the main street (alley access only to my garage). Fortunately I only scrape the front spoilers coming and going. Wakes up the neighbors every night.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I don't think you will get any sympathy from your local municipality.. that looks like about 5 desgrees...
I though you were here"

Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have more of a challenge than what you show but I deal with it by crab-walking in and out of my driveway. I would post pics of it but I don't want to be responsible for any members here going to the emergency room due to heart attack or other emotional trauma.

From your pics, to me it looks like you need something like this. Expensive but a lot cheaper and viable than most of the other alternatives. There is dimensional info and videos at that link so check it out. Hope it's an option for you.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Patches
I have more of a challenge than what you show but I deal with it by crab-walking in and out of my driveway. I would post pics of it but I don't want to be responsible for any members here going to the emergency room due to heart attack or other emotional trauma.

From your pics, to me it looks like you need something like this. Expensive but a lot cheaper and viable than most of the other alternatives. There is dimensional info and videos at that link so check it out. Hope it's an option for you.

https://www.amazon.com/BRIDJIT-Expan...3AHV0S3AZ705H7

I would want to be sure that would be in compliance with local ordinances... some places have street sweepers and such and there is a liability when something is in the street that could become a hazard to others and a subject of litigation if some one tripped since the street belongs to the municipality.. I would make sure it was approved before I spent the money.

Just my cautionary input.

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 02-07-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:02 PM
jeff7251954
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I don't think you will get any sympathy from your local municipality.. that looks like about 5 desgrees...
I though you were here"

Holy crap!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by jeff7251954
Holy crap!
I don't think this is a real shot... since I am a pphotogrpaher I can see things that are not normally seen by others..

buy the look of the car at angle,, I can view the shadow off the rear, and position the sun to be at about one o'clock in this photo... however at one o'clock the shadow would not be so dramatic but it would still cast a shadow on the left side of the cars in the street which there is not.
also there would be no way to get traverse that angle into the garage which seems to be below any angle that would mate with the driveway.

Not even sure that would be legal.

Bill
Old 02-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I would want to be sure that would be in compliance with local ordinances... some places have street sweepers and such and there is a liability when something is in the street that could become a hazard to others and a subject of litigation if some one tripped since the street belongs to the municipality.. I would make sure it was approved before I spent the money.

Just my cautionary input.

Bill aka ET
Yep - those points are completely valid and have been discussed in the past when this subject was brought up by others with similar issues. I'm sure these items would be summarily dragged away right in front of my by the HOA ****'s that regular patrol my neighborhood and relish in citing those who've allowed their grass to slightly brown or used the wrong shade of white to paint their trim which is why I make what I have work. I was offering up an alternative to the OP's request for a ramp suggestion.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

This may be overly simplistic and odd are will not fly with the forces that be.. Can't you just do a curb cut from your driveway to the street? The slope is to allow wheelchairs the ability to get to the sidewalk. The curb cut properly installed would basically slope from your driveway to the street. I have a nice dip in mine and I approach at an angle of at least 60 degrees or more to keep from scraping.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by lebeeby
This may be overly simplistic and odd are will not fly with the forces that be.. Can't you just do a curb cut from your driveway to the street? The slope is to allow wheelchairs the ability to get to the sidewalk. The curb cut properly installed would basically slope from your driveway to the street. I have a nice dip in mine and I approach at an angle of at least 60 degrees or more to keep from scraping.
The concrete and asphalt cannot be cut, reshaped, etc. My HOA allows no alteration of the materials. This is a nightmare. It's the only thing preventing me from taking out the Corvette more often. It takes 2-3 minutes just to back it off that idiotic ramp.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Excessv
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of the curb ramps and love them. They weigh about 150 lbs all assembled and allow for run off under them. I had a township guy stop out and he said I would have no complaints from them.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Originally Posted by Excessv
I have a set of the curb ramps and love them. They weigh about 150 lbs all assembled and allow for run off under them. I had a township guy stop out and he said I would have no complaints from them.
Can you provide the name of the brand? Any pictures?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Excessv
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you provide the name of the brand? Any pictures?
Here is their sight.

http://www.bridjit.com/?gclid=CPaJlv...FQyDaQod_ZcA3g

I don't have any pictures handy at the moment

Get notified of new replies

To Any ramp to get C5 into/out of driveway?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Those are the same ones I posted the link to above.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 AM
slowcone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parents moved into a new home a few years ago and I encountered the same issue. The first time I went to visit them at their new place I was flying out the next day so I had to come up with a quick solution. I was leaving my car there and didn't want it sitting outside for a week. I ended up buying a 2x8 from home depot. It's cheap and effective and really not that much of a hassle to drag in and out of the garage.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:34 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I though you were here"

LMAO

Quick Reply: Any ramp to get C5 into/out of driveway?