Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad car for daily?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bad car for daily?

I try to drive my Z06 as much as possible when the weather is nice like it is since I do park it for the winter. I bought mine as it was going into winter last year so I barely drove it before I parked it. It's not my only car, so I am not forced to take it everywhere but I try to unless it's raining (harder to clean afterwards, I know it handles rain just fine).

No idea how much it's because it's a Z06 or just a Corvette thing in general, but idiots are always revving up near me, zooming past, or giving me a hard way. Anyone I've mentioned this to who drives a "normal" car just thinks I'm looking for people to do that because I drive a fast car and I "probably do it". I actually don't, although I'm in my 20's so probably not the typical driver others expect to see. Maybe they think because I'm young that they can goad me easier? It seems all walks of life types of vehicles floor it around me or try to speed up and go faster than me, from hybrids, to minivans, to old beatup trucks, and of course other sports cars. It was funny at first, but it does get pretty old...

Is this problem really endemic to sports cars in general or is it specific to Corvettes? Or more noticeable with bright colors (like Millennium Yellow...)? I know the advice is going to be "just ignore them, they're jealous" or "they just want to hear a Vette open it up", but I genuinely do tire of having every last idiot rev their car up as they pass me or whatever. I can't enjoy a peaceful drive usually because of it. God help me if a Mustang or some Challenger sees me and my windows are down, I just roll them up if they're going to be stopped next to me. It's definitely triggered by seeing my car, as my old Accord V6 manual sedan was a sleeper and I could tool around everywhere without a second glance even if I got on it (kind of miss that).

Does anyone not daily their Corvette because of stuff like this? I have to wonder how guys in Ferrari's or Porsche's deal with it, it must be ten times worse than this. Yet I swear every time I see a Porsche it just seems to be cruising along without really bothering anybody and usually no one trying to bother them. Never seen any of the really racy ones though like the GT3 RS or anything, usually just a Carrera or Cayman.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

mine is my DD, and honestly its a very rare occasion anyone does anything around me.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Same here. It's just my grocery getter.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:10 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I usually only drive mine on the weekends, but I have definitely experienced the same thing the OP describes Diesel pickups in my area seem to be just as notorious as the Mustangs for that behavior. From kids in little beater cars to moms in minivans, they all seem to challenge the Vette for some reason even though they don't stand a chance.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

YES !!!!!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

They will quit revving their engines at Corvettes when men stop acting like animals every time they see big ***** - never going to happen until there is a testosterone shortage. I have people revving their engines when they drive by my garage and the C5 is parked - that is their version of "peacocking" - it is in their DNA.

What I don't get are the women who get boob jobs to draw attention and then get offended when someone stares!

Why does everyone with a Harley keep pumping the throttle? Not like the engine is going to die if they just let it idle (well maybe)! To them that is the main purpose for buying a Harley - to make as much noise as possible and **** people off - mission accomplished,

I remember the first time a saw a photo of a C5 on a drag strip. To me it looked so out of place (still does), but to some when they look at a C5, that is all they see.

Last edited by Choreo; 07-21-2017 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JBB (07-24-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Proletariat designs
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I DD mine, and will continue to do so. My commute is highway and back roads ~90 miles a day. Never any grievance. I usually pass the same couple of vettes in the morning. We always wave to each other. Maybe the silver makes it less appealing to harass, or because I'm out in the country???
Old 07-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,945 Likes on 934 Posts

I get the same nonsense in my Vette too. Its usually the moron that paid $200 for a loud, obnoxious exhaust for his VW GTI that thinks he's fast cause he's loud. I just laugh and ignore him...as I do with all the other idiots driving just as crappy of a car.

I learned a very valuable lesson when I owned my Porsche's in the past...just because you CAN go fast, doesn't mean you have to. Everyone around you knows how fast a Vette, Porsche, Ferrari, etc really is...there's no need to show them...

Let them drive by with their gerbil driven motor and laugh all the way back to your garage knowing you're driving a beast of a car...and use that speed and power for your own enjoyment - not to race or blow by a moron that couldn't afford your ashtray...
The following users liked this post:
laurent_zo6 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Choreo
Why does everyone with a Harley keep pumping the throttle?
Because loud pipes save lives. Some instructors tell Harley riders to rev the engine when approaching some intersections and such. Revving the engine alerts drivers to pay attention and look twice for a motorcycle they sometimes don't see.

As far as you're other comments though - I agree.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

OP I daily drive my C5. That happens to me a lot. Everyone trying to race me. The most annoying are the minivans and fart pipe laden imports that floor it just to get 3 car lengths ahead when I'm just cruising minding my business.

A few weeks ago, I pulled out onto the main street from my house. My oil temp is barely cresting 100, and I'm just putting along at the 35mph speed limit and some dumb *** is tailgating less than 10 feet behind my rear bumper with 2 other lanes available to pass me in. Like my Corvette is in the way of their POS.

It's almost always POS cars that act aggressively like that. The few times I've been driving someone elses nondescript sedan on an errand, I can really notice how other cars don't act hostile like they frequently do against my car.

Interestingly enough, I don't notice that problem when I'm riding my Aprilia motorcycle. I guess they know they're not going to be able to even pretend they have a chance against a sportbike.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by AE Guy
I usually only drive mine on the weekends, but I have definitely experienced the same thing the OP describes Diesel pickups in my area seem to be just as notorious as the Mustangs for that behavior. From kids in little beater cars to moms in minivans, they all seem to challenge the Vette for some reason even though they don't stand a chance.
God, I don't know how I forgot the diesel trucks. I had a rolling coal idiot who was acting a bit stupid, he was all spooled up to fly past me and blow smoke all over me so I had to speed up and change lanes so he couldn't. That is especially irritating...

I had a Coyote Mustang before and thought people were annoying when I drove that, but for whatever reason it mostly just got every Camaro or Challenger to rev up around me, or the occasional import. Focus STs for some reason seem to act like they have power that no other car has, they sure drive like it and like to put stupid stickers all over their cars. I guess kids who got their first car that had more than 150 HP? More people seem to actively act like jerks around Corvettes. Wonder if it's any better/worse for the older ones? Seems like C4's and C3's would be left alone unless they were especially loud or had a cam or something.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Fortunately I don't get any of that daily driving my car, I suppose it really just depends on the area. I'm in my mid 20's, navy metallic blue coupe. 20 mile commute, mostly freeway. I probably have done a few things that do make it stand out, like an RGB lit Windrestrictor that I usually keep red and white LEDs in the fender coves, seems like most don't pay attention to it. Then again, this is the SF Bay Area where Teslas are more common than Corvettes.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I haven't had anyone rev their car near me in a long, long time and that's just fine with me. I'm not interested in getting into a street race. As you wrote, just ignore them and let them be the ones to get in trouble.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

I've had 3-4 semi-negative interactions in the 4 years I've daily (excluding winter) driven my Z. Never had similar experiences in my BMW's or even our Rogue... or in the mini-van!
It's​​​​​​ the only negative of driving it daily, and I still enjoy the crap out it every day!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I live for it with a sc I takes about 2 seconds of wot to embarrass them and then I back off thing is I never take off first, most don't rev they just take off and I spank them. I will say this does not happen very often, I'm not sure why but I get very few challenges It never bothers me, it may if I could not easily crush them but that is not problem with the supercharger against most cars

Please don't take this as an insult this is simply my experience and my reaction to it. I'm not saying you should do the same.......but I will say I don't under stand why someone next to you revving there engine is a bother..... in some ways it's kind of a compliment, kinda like saying hi! It's up to you if you rev back or take off quick or ignore it all together . I usually just smile and nod and they nod back and don't take off, not sure why but that's my experience.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 07-21-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:39 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I've had absolutely no issues with mine. My STi was a different story.

My favorite thing to do when someone would rev at me when I was sitting at a light was to creep forward and act like I was interested and then turn right down the road. They'd tear away from me and I'd just drive away minding my own business.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I DD''d mine for many years - no issues at all. However, these days on some of the local back roads (truck country) locally there's always some yahoo who wants to "beat a Vette". Mostly I just laugh. Occasionally i have fun. A while back someone in a Honda Ridgeline decided that he wanted to stick to my rear bumper come what may. So, I just tooled along until we came to a very nasty sharp turn that tightens up as you go round it. I accelerated to keep the car planted in that cormer, as you would. He was on my bumper when we hit that turn - but nowhere to be seen afterwards. Probably changing his pants somewhere.

An awfiul lot of people are idiots, sorry to say. And please, please save me from juveniles in Civics with loud exhausts.

Last edited by jackthelad; 07-21-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad car for daily?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

For some years had issues as you mentioned with drivers. Now I have a gorgeous blonde GF riding shot gun. No issues at all. Maybe these guys don't want to share the idiots they are with just anyone!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
I've had 3-4 semi-negative interactions in the 4 years I've daily (excluding winter) driven my Z. Never had similar experiences in my BMW's or even our Rogue... or in the mini-van!
It's​​​​​​ the only negative of driving it daily, and I still enjoy the crap out it every day!
Interesting you mention BMW, I stumbled on a public comment section elsewhere and people were just ripping into how much they disliked BMW drivers. Maybe they just dislike them but don't try to race them? My other on/off daily is a truck, and pretty much no one tries anything with me in that thankfully. Except other trucks, always trying to out do each other.

Maybe to some it's a compliment, but I usually greatly dislike whatever the car is that is doing the revving so I don't have compliments or a nod to give them. I'm not going around putting them down for buying a crappy car, but adds a bit of fuel to the fire when you have someone with bad car who wants to show off to you.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBossMY03Z
Interesting you mention BMW, I stumbled on a public comment section elsewhere and people were just ripping into how much they disliked BMW drivers. Maybe they just dislike them but don't try to race them? My other on/off daily is a truck, and pretty much no one tries anything with me in that thankfully. Except other trucks, always trying to out do each other.

Maybe to some it's a compliment, but I usually greatly dislike whatever the car is that is doing the revving so I don't have compliments or a nod to give them. I'm not going around putting them down for buying a crappy car, but adds a bit of fuel to the fire when you have someone with bad car who wants to show off to you.
I drove BMW for 17 years before my Z, never received any flack. Ain't no big thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad car for daily?