rebuilt 4L60e what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default rebuilt 4L60e what to expect?

Hi guys,

I expect to get my baby back with the rebuilt transmission today or tomorrow. I've never had a transmission rebuilt for me, let alone one for a Corvette. What should I expect? what do I look for? how should the shifts seem? Is there a break in period? how should I drive it in this break in period? Car is a 98 with 150k miles. It is just a stock daily driver. No mods. I was told it is a complete rebuild, TC as well.

I assume it will feel like a totally different car since I was detecting some shudder in the TC, and the 3-4 clutch pack was what finally went. (that's what I was told) I guess I should be happy I got 150K miles out of it, after reading post about people that got barely half that amount. Any insight??

Don
Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

is it a stock rebuild with all OEM parts?

if so it should feel like any other really tight transmission. the TC is one of the spots where all the magic happens. if you dont know 100% how these work take a moment to read about them they are pretty cool. you should be really happy these are great transmissions.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:42 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
is it a stock rebuild with all OEM parts?

if so it should feel like any other really tight transmission. the TC is one of the spots where all the magic happens. if you dont know 100% how these work take a moment to read about them they are pretty cool. you should be really happy these are great transmissions.
Yes it is a completely stock rebuild. No need for anything crazy. I don't track the car at all... its just my DD that I've missed for 3 weeks
Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

OK so I got my car back.

Rebuilt transmission, New TC, and serviced the gear box. new fluid etc. car runs just like new, other than the gear shifter is what I would call...."sloppy" $3,200 total... not as bad as it probably could have been.

Before? when it was in gear if you bumped the shifter or rested your hand on it? it wouldn't move at all. like normal. Now? There's alittle play in it. the shifter seems to be able to slide 1/4 to 1/2 an inch up or down in gear without needing to push the button. as a result the red selector doesn't rest normally over the gear you have selected. other than that its runs perfectly. and with this additional "play" or slop the gear doesn't seem to slip out or anything. If you blindly go down 3 times into OD without looking at it? it seems normal. Could the shift cable need adjusting??

Last edited by DonsC5; 08-24-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

you should take it back and have them adjust the linkage on the transmission end. there should be no slop at the passenger compartment end.

I actually had the cable break on me once on the 700r4 I put in to the stingray. the 700r4 is the non computer controlled version of the auto in the C5.

you should expect the same distinct positive feel as you had before going from gear to gear.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

It's been years since I had my 4L60E rebuilt, but it didn't than and doesn't now have any slop. It locks in and doesn't move.

I'd definitely have your shop check it.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:08 AM
DonsC5
Instructor

Reverse, and neutral seem to be fine... but in any forward gear, there seems to be some "slack" in its position. Even when the gear I have selected is engaged. Feels to me like the cable isn't tightened down properly. I will head over to the shop on my lunch break today. Is this a quick adjustment? something I could possibly wait for them to do?

Get notified of new replies

To rebuilt 4L60e what to expect?

Quick Reply: rebuilt 4L60e what to expect?