Sponsored by:

Massachusetts Inspections Getting Tough

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:13 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

I can see CT doing this one day soon. That and the ridiculous second amendment gun laws in CT, I may soon be moving to TX.

BC
Come on down to Okieland Bill. No front plates. No auto inspections. No hassles. Gun laws almost the same as our Texas buddies. We have our own set of issues but automotive retardation is not one of them.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:24 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

I have a series of very simple questions. It has to do with exactly the reason that the State of Oklahoma dropped auto inspections.
1. How much does an inspection station charge for a Massachusetts inspection?
2. How long does it take to do a proper inspection? (How long is it going to take now with Big Brother watching you with 5 cameras??)
3. How much does the inspection station make from this inspection?
4. Does the state of Massachusetts FORCE auto repair facilities to offer inspections or is it the choice of the auto repair owner?

The reason I ask these questions is that if it is not profitable for the auto repair facility to do the inspection, why would they even choose to do so? In our state, inspections were a joke and the inspection station got to keep 1/2 of the fee and the state got the other half. The inspections back then were $5 so the inspection stations got to keep $2.50 and they were expected to thoroughly inspect the vehicle for a measly $2.50???????? That's just crazy. If it costs an inspection station nearly $6K to get equipment, if it were me, I'd just pass. That's what happened here. No one wanted to do inspections as they couldn't justify the time spent vs the amount of $$ earned. Will you have that same problem in Massachusetts?

Last edited by CactusCat; 09-02-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:25 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

move to a red state. They respect hot rodders.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:52 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Riteaidkid84
I carry my ODB2 and erase codes and drive until all but 1 fail exist and I always pass. So far, the vette passes but my equinox I have cheated for 5 year now hypothetically yeah.... In Georgia hypothetically... Yeah
but why not just fix what's wrong with your car instead of cheating?

maybe it's just me but I couldn't live driving around with a warning light glaring in my face.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 969 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

In Oregon we pay 80.00 for 2 yrs and no inspections. They just mail you the bill
Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Emerica88
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Liberal nanny state strikes again
Old 09-02-2017, 04:06 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Rover01
Just add an Obama sticker to your bumper and you'll be fine. I'm thinking of starting a petiion to have a sanctury city for modded cars.

told me about additional concerns regarding modifications to intakes and exhausts that I hadn't touched on. "Cats aren't the only concern. The law is that emission/evaporator systems can't be modified. No EGR removal, no cold air intakes, no forced induction mods.

What a bunch of crap! I'd be so screwed if I lived there.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:40 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Where there is no vision, the people parish . Socrates , wisdom from long ago.

A lot of posts here seem to advocate living in the past, as if that is possible. I take pride in being a responsible citizen. Not a prize winner, but I respect and understand the need for pollution laws.

Poorly crafted laws can be fixed, in California we have people representing the car hobbyist, and we fight it out.

I know it is largely a waste of time trying to get people who have no interest in being responsible for their actions with pollution to take responsibility at this late date.

Good luck with Florida. Just because they have laws against mentioning climate change, doesn't mean they can change the laws of physics.

I suppose only brute violence , when death and destruction hits you on the head will god see you change, the suffering of others is not your deal.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Emerica88
Liberal nanny state strikes again
I just happen to live here and it has Nothing to do with political crap
Old 09-02-2017, 08:06 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
TPMS? should have bought a z06 I guess

here in NC we can't have a CEL or various other safety related issues, though TPMS isn't relevant.

I dont really get Why people complain about not being allowed to have a CEL. Your check engine light is on? Fix your car. The light is there for a reason.

Because safety inspections should only be about issues that cause a vehicle to be unsafe. A check engine light rarely indicates a problem that makes the vehicle unsafe...
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Smoken1
In Oregon we pay 80.00 for 2 yrs and no inspections. They just mail you the bill
What is the $80 for if no inspection? Just a tax for driving your car? That sounds crazy.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:45 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by strand rider
Where there is no vision, the people parish . Socrates , wisdom from long ago.

A lot of posts here seem to advocate living in the past, as if that is possible. I take pride in being a responsible citizen. Not a prize winner, but I respect and understand the need for pollution laws.

Poorly crafted laws can be fixed, in California we have people representing the car hobbyist, and we fight it out.

I know it is largely a waste of time trying to get people who have no interest in being responsible for their actions with pollution to take responsibility at this late date.

Good luck with Florida. Just because they have laws against mentioning climate change, doesn't mean they can change the laws of physics.

I suppose only brute violence , when death and destruction hits you on the head will god see you change, the suffering of others is not your deal.
Wow.... I think you should immediately sell your car and get an electric. That will make you a more responsible citizen and you won't be contributing to climate change (sigh). Otherwise, it's hypocritical statements I'm reading. Oh and btw, its not "parish", it's "perish"... (Socrates was not a very good speller).
Old 09-02-2017, 08:45 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

Just go buy a new 638 HP Z06 .Inspect that ..
Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by radar502
Just go buy a new 638 HP Z06 .Inspect that ..
Wouldn't that be a ZR1, not a Z06?
Old 09-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Not sure what "emissions" have to do with "safety"? I think they just need to rename the programs as "Government Compliance" inspections.

Most of the things that pertain to "safety", they do not even look at. In fact most of the "inspectors" I have seen don't even appear to be any form of mechanic?

In Texas they never usually do anything more than check my exterior lights. One year they insisted on driving my car around the parking lot to check the brakes and one year they checked the window tint by scratching the film on the driver's side window, but that is it.

I AM MUCH MORE CONCERNED ABOUT MY C5 BEING AT 100% EFFICIENCY THAT THEY ARE! I actually think that is why they usually give me (and I am sure many other Corvettes) a pass... one look at a well maintained Corvette and they probably assume that they have nothing to add to the story. That said, I see a number of Corvettes that look like an accident waiting to happen - fortunately most Corvettes self-destruct in one-car collisions with trees and the like and don't involve someone else.

Last edited by Choreo; 09-02-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:05 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

I dont really get Why people complain about not being allowed to have a CEL. Your check engine light is on? Fix your car. The light is there for a reason.
Because not all CELs are a big deal. I once had a CEL on because of an O2 sensor heater. Basically, it heated the sensor so it could give an "at temp" reading in the few minutes before the car heated up in the winter. Overall it did very little to nothing for my emissions and did absolutely nothing to the performance or safety of my car. Sure, it could mean something important, but that's why you get things checked out.

Now that I think about it, I had a check engine light come on the Friday of Corvette's at Carlisle. It was because my battery is getting old and is having trouble holding a full charge over night and some of the computers weren't getting the right voltage at first startup. Drove the car for 15 minutes and everything was back to normal and the light went off by itself.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:23 AM
rudutch
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Having just returned for a short vacation to Boston... I do find it odd that they a so proud of their history- liberty, freedom, revolution, etc but seems to have a ton of rules, regulations, fees, etc
Sales tax of 6.25 PLUS hotel tax of 8.45%, no CPL reciprocity, mandatory helmet laws, etc.

Cool place, met lots of very nice people but I won't be moving there anytime soon

Get notified of new replies

To Massachusetts Inspections Getting Tough

Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CactusCat
What is the $80 for if no inspection? Just a tax for driving your car? That sounds crazy.
Yes basically. It's for the stupid stickers
Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

NJ has state inspection which I recently went through. I was actually quite overdue driving around with an expired sticker for months. Never got stopped for it. I was nervous I'd fail. LG headers and cats, no air pump, deleted O2 sensors and no front plate. As it turns out the only thing they really care about is CEL's and emissions out the tailpipe. I passed with no problems due to a good tune by a well known tuner. They even advise you that you are supposed to have a front plate, but they don't fail you for that. As the woman doing the inspection told me, Vettes never come through with front plates. Not as bad here as I thought it was going to be.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:50 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
I have a series of very simple questions. It has to do with exactly the reason that the State of Oklahoma dropped auto inspections.
1. How much does an inspection station charge for a Massachusetts inspection?
2. How long does it take to do a proper inspection? (How long is it going to take now with Big Brother watching you with 5 cameras??)
3. How much does the inspection station make from this inspection?
4. Does the state of Massachusetts FORCE auto repair facilities to offer inspections or is it the choice of the auto repair owner?

The reason I ask these questions is that if it is not profitable for the auto repair facility to do the inspection, why would they even choose to do so? In our state, inspections were a joke and the inspection station got to keep 1/2 of the fee and the state got the other half. The inspections back then were $5 so the inspection stations got to keep $2.50 and they were expected to thoroughly inspect the vehicle for a measly $2.50???????? That's just crazy. If it costs an inspection station nearly $6K to get equipment, if it were me, I'd just pass. That's what happened here. No one wanted to do inspections as they couldn't justify the time spent vs the amount of $$ earned. Will you have that same problem in Massachusetts?
1. Inspection in MA is $35
2. Approximately 45min to 1hr
3. Inspection Station gets $27 per Inspection
4. Not required to be an Inspection Station

Most small Mom & Pop service stations use Vehicle Inspections as a source of revenue. Not only the Inspection fee, but the additional work generated from the inspection. Brakes, Front End, Bulbs and so on. The goal of the State is to eventually have State run Inspection stations and take all the business away from the working guy.

The MA inspections will kill the owners of a "T" Bucket or the guy who put a 350 crate in a 72 Camaro. Not so much the Corvette owner unless they put Headers & a Loud Exhaust on the vehicle.

In MA it's a known fact that Force 5 Kit Auto Builders has been lobbying elected officials to push the Inspection Issue in an effort to stop the home garage builder from Hot Rodding a car. Force 5's goal is to corner a piece of the market by building Hot Rod's that will comply with local laws.

IMO not a very nice company.
The following users liked this post:
CactusCat (09-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Massachusetts Inspections Getting Tough