Sponsored by:

One mod I would like.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I don't know why your laughin' so hard. You got a SC hood that's probably worth as much as you whole car, and no SC.

BTW, Bob, I've got chrome letters on my black Z, and love 'em.
Like I said earlier, they look good on a dark color car, but not so on a light colored one.

Bob.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
I spent a few hours today measuring and looking for parts for this project, and there is no way this can be done.

The Vette is just to low.

I only have 4 & 1/2" clearance.
For the letters to be seen and projected onto the pavement below, they need to be a minimum of 5" tall, and 3" wide, and the only way they can be projected clearly in a little over 4" clearance, is to have the light source 9" above the letters.
The only alternative would be to modify the side view mirrors, and I don't want to do that.

Well, it was a great idea, but just not doable.

Bob.
I agree that it would be difficult to pull off as a DIY, but it is possible - just probably not worth the effort for a one-off?

It sounds like you are trying to move the light source farther away from the shadow-casting outlines to achieve perceived focus (similar to how the sun casts hard shadows throughout the day as it is a small point-light source in relation to objects on earth). That method would not work. The available puddle logo lights you can buy are VERY tiny and project sharply due to the inclusion of a lens. In fact, the ones that cast a 6" circle under the door only have a logo dye-sub printed on a film dot about 3/8" and are right next to the LED light source. The biggest challenge would be getting the letters to project at an angle away from the car and not distort and lose light at the outer edges. The logo ghost lights you buy will only look right if projecting straight down at the ground - if you angle them they will distort quickly.

Last edited by Choreo; 09-08-2017 at 12:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (09-08-2017)

Quick Reply: One mod I would like.