Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping exhaust tips straight and level?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:41 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Keeping exhaust tips straight and level?

I have a set of four tip GHL Bullets that I bought off the forum about 4 years ago. Previous owner had tack welded the tip portion to the muffler pipe to keep it from turning. I ground that off this past spring when I installed my headers and was tweaking the overall positioning.

I may go get them tack welded back, but regardless the rear tips always seem to be uneven, not level from side to side. Seems the pipes on these GHL bullets have slightly different curvatures between the sides. Something that I thought was a quality thing (could still be), but I checked with another owner and his was the same way. I'll have to get pics added to help explain. Passenger side looks and fits perfect. Driver's side hits the rear fascia and sits crooked.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and what you did to keep it all in position and straight? Any unique or creative solutions? I keep picturing a straight bar like the SLP(?) system welded up between the sides.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:13 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Well, not sure you want to hear this but I had a similar style but not the same brand. I wound up going to an exhaust shop and having them re-bend the offending pipes to get them as close as possible to each other and then had them welded. Think it cost me a couple hundred extra onto the cost of the original sticker price of the exhaust. But they looked pretty good when done. If you know someone that can do it cheaper for you I'd look into that.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I had fun getting/keeping my Corsa Tiger Sharks aligned. I finally realized that the 37-ftlb torque they recommended for the cat-backs was just not enough. I finally spent about an hour getting them right several years ago and applied extra torque to the clamps and no further problems - no welding.

I personally don't think welding a plate across the right and left would be a great idea?

Last edited by Choreo; 09-05-2017 at 06:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dave1 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Well, not sure you want to hear this but I had a similar style but not the same brand. I wound up going to an exhaust shop and having them re-bend the offending pipes to get them as close as possible to each other and then had them welded. Think it cost me a couple hundred extra onto the cost of the original sticker price of the exhaust. But they looked pretty good when done. If you know someone that can do it cheaper for you I'd look into that.
I've considered that actually. Did they have to heat up the pipes and if so did it leave burn marks? These are really nice polished so I don't want to ruin that. Or do I just need to find a shop that can do mandrel bends?

Originally Posted by Choreo
I had fun getting/keeping my Corsa Tiger Sharks aligned. I finally realized that the 37-ftlb torque they recommended for the cat-backs was just not enough. I finally spent about an hour getting them right several years ago and applied extra torque to the clamps and no further problems - no welding.

I personally don't think welding a plate across the right and left would be a great idea?
I think it is more the bend in the piping than anything. I bought a new clamp a few months ago when the original one let loose and had the driver's side tips facing down to the pavement. The difference I see in your Corsa is the placement of the tips relative to each other is closer. Mine are towards the edges of the opening more. Should of snapped a pic this morning when I got to work.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Do the GHL Bullets not have the tabs on the exhaust pipes to go into the U bracket the OEM mufflers do? You can do a lot to those brackets to keep them relatively even; modify the rubber insert, add/remove rubber, etc. I'd think that would be the cheaper alternative before having a shop modify them (which honestly wouldn't be that expensive either, but would be time consuming).
Old 09-05-2017, 10:28 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
Do the GHL Bullets not have the tabs on the exhaust pipes to go into the U bracket the OEM mufflers do? You can do a lot to those brackets to keep them relatively even; modify the rubber insert, add/remove rubber, etc. I'd think that would be the cheaper alternative before having a shop modify them (which honestly wouldn't be that expensive either, but would be time consuming).
They do have the tabs and I have wedged more material in there to keep them from hanging down a bit. I may have to spend more time messing around with that area. I just feel that I need something a bit more "permanent" without being damaging. I'm messed with these in the past and I have gotten them close, just need to think about how to keep it there.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have 4 inch quad GHL Bullets and would not weld anything across this set up.....There are other options, bending and tweaking to get the four lined up straight....

The can on the passenger side sits a little lower than the one on the left from the rear on my car, but the pipes line up straight.....
Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I have the stock exhaust and it breaks every 3 years. I always tip the Midas guy to line the pipes up before re-welding them. He knows he has a repeat customer.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:18 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Finally got a picture tonight. The cans are pretty much evenly positioned, yet the driver's side tips are crooked. They look like they are angled down a bit, and also down to the right if that makes sense. Simply turning the tips up would appear to fix it at first. What is harder to see in the photo is how close the driver's side tip is to the rear fascia. It has in fact worn off my vinyl wrap on that side from rubbing.

I may have to loosen the driver's side pipe at the over the axle part, re-angle the can a bit, then retighten. That will probably bother me too though. Still won't stay that way long term either.

I think I'll give up the bar idea. Not really what I want to do anyway. It may come down to just getting it where I want and some tack welds to hold it there. Probably at both the tip section and the over the axle slip joints.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

My easy fix

Once I get my pipes lined up I put 2 or 3

1/2" #8 stainless screws in through them at the clamps

to keep the pipes from moving

I also added an extra hanger at the axle frame

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 09-06-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:36 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Originally Posted by imgn tht
I've considered that actually. Did they have to heat up the pipes and if so did it leave burn marks? These are really nice polished so I don't want to ruin that. Or do I just need to find a shop that can do mandrel bends?
They did not heat the pipes up. They put them into the exhaust bending machine they had. Didn't leave any marks that I could tell, but mine weren't that shiny to begin with. If you go this route I would make sure to ask them before they attempt it with your setup so they don't damage or mark up anything.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Had 4 tip LG Big 3. Passenger side came welded crooked. Had my muffler shop being just 2 tips to the center and they welded a tab just upstream from the tips connecting left pipe to right pipe. No more wiggling out of position AND I think the mod is responsible for completely eliminating drone!
Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by tbrent

Had 4 tip LG Big 3. Passenger side came welded crooked. Had my muffler shop being just 2 tips to the center and they welded a tab just upstream from the tips connecting left pipe to right pipe. No more wiggling out of position AND I think the mod is responsible for completely eliminating drone!
Any pics of the tab you are referring to?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I think I see my problem. Seems the driver's side rear exhaust insulator hanger is weak and allowing the muffler section to move. I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow and should be able to tighten it up more.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree need more torque to the clamps. Use an air impact ratchet but be careful you don't break the clamp. Electric impact wrenches don't seem to work nor does pure muscle. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Agree need more torque to the clamps. Use an air impact ratchet but be careful you don't break the clamp. Electric impact wrenches don't seem to work nor does pure muscle. Good luck.
clamps are tight, I just stated what I believe the problem to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping exhaust tips straight and level?

Quick Reply: Keeping exhaust tips straight and level?