Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:53 AM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
I don't have many but here ya go.

Sweet. Those wheels really look good. But damn it is just so hard to keep my eyes off those bigass brakes. Great big calipers just make a car really shine.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:44 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SCALLOPED91
Sweet. Those wheels really look good. But damn it is just so hard to keep my eyes off those bigass brakes. Great big calipers just make a car really shine.
They do look great, but they were a completely functional upgrade, the stock brakes are ****** terrible.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 AM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

They do look great, but they were a completely functional upgrade, the stock brakes are ****** terrible.
😂😂😂, yeah, yeah they are! I can't wait to get the new set of big brakes on mine because I really can't take the nonexistent braking I have now for one more second. Now that I have a blower under the hood, getting to high speeds isn't the problem, it's that whole "oh dear god, we're not gonna make it" feel when you're trying to slow down.
After I got my c7 z06, I knew the c5 brakes had to go. I was just getting irritated not being able to find a wheel that would fit around the new c6 z06 brakes on my c5; to me it seemed silly for such a popular brake system not to have more wheels available to accommodate it.
But, again, those are really nice wheels you have there.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

😂😂😂, yeah, yeah they are! I can't wait to get the new set of big brakes on mine because I really can't take the nonexistent braking I have now for one more second. Now that I have a blower under the hood, getting to high speeds isn't the problem, it's that whole "oh dear god, we're not gonna make it" feel when you're trying to slow down.
After I got my c7 z06, I knew the c5 brakes had to go. I was just getting irritated not being able to find a wheel that would fit around the new c6 z06 brakes on my c5; to me it seemed silly for such a popular brake system not to have more wheels available to accommodate it.
But, again, those are really nice wheels you have there.
Theyre mustang brakes, they may say corvette on them but they're the same pieces of **** mustangs got.

​​​​​I had the car less than 6 hours before I installed the BBK.

Like I said, a very slim spacer would have cleared my stock thin spokes, but I got a killer deal on these and went with it.

My TSW Panoramas also clear with tons of room and I would bet other models from TSW would as well.

Last edited by Shaolin Crane; 09-09-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:10 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Theyre mustang brakes, they may say corvette on them but they're the same pieces of **** mustangs got.

​​​​​I had the car less than 6 hours before I installed the BBK.

Like I said, a very slim spacer would have cleared my stock thin spokes, but I got a killer deal on these and went with it.

My TSW Panoramas also clear with tons of room and I would bet other models from TSW would as well.
Your exactly dead on. I have a 91 fox body 5.0 that is now a full out race car. Before I made all the major performance mods, you had better hope you never really needed the brakes because they were non-*******-existent. ****, I have Brembo brakes on my 03 Cobra and it still isn't enough to stop that tank-*** for ****. The 03 cobra is running compound boost with a whipple and a turbo, too; 180 to 0 is a bitch without a chute.
Needless to say, my Vette is the same way. A blower and non-existent brakes just is **** for a car of the Vette's nature. Beef those bad boys up and should be good fun and finally safe. The c5 is a blast with all the mods I've added to make it corner better and accelerate hard but goddamn I just long for the braking my c7 Z has. I know the c6 z06 brakes won't make it stop like the c7 Z but, ****, it has to be worlds better from the stocker go cart brakes.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Your exactly dead on. I have a 91 fox body 5.0 that is now a full out race car. Before I made all the major performance mods, you had better hope you never really needed the brakes because they were non-*******-existent. ****, I have Brembo brakes on my 03 Cobra and it still isn't enough to stop that tank-*** for ****. The 03 cobra is running compound boost with a whipple and a turbo, too; 180 to 0 is a bitch without a chute.
Needless to say, my Vette is the same way. A blower and non-existent brakes just is **** for a car of the Vette's nature. Beef those bad boys up and should be good fun and finally safe. The c5 is a blast with all the mods I've added to make it corner better and accelerate hard but goddamn I just long for the braking my c7 Z has. I know the c6 z06 brakes won't make it stop like the c7 Z but, ****, it has to be worlds better from the stocker go cart brakes.
I would imagine if you added some floating rotors along with the Z calipers it would stop pretty well with some proper compound pads.

Mine stop nutty even with street tires. I was in the carpool lane going about 70 when a mini cooper jumped the line and stopped dead for whatever reason, I think there was maybe 10 car lengths. I was sure we we going to plow into her, but the brakes along with the ABS stopped with a few inches to spare.

I also had a wide body fox I built for road course use that had stoptechs and hoosiers, after seeing what some real brakes will do, it's the first change on each car I buy, along with something sticky all around.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:05 AM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I would imagine if you added some floating rotors along with the Z calipers it would stop pretty well with some proper compound pads.

Mine stop nutty even with street tires. I was in the carpool lane going about 70 when a mini cooper jumped the line and stopped dead for whatever reason, I think there was maybe 10 car lengths. I was sure we we going to plow into her, but the brakes along with the ABS stopped with a few inches to spare.

I also had a wide body fox I built for road course use that had stoptechs and hoosiers, after seeing what some real brakes will do, it's the first change on each car I buy, along with something sticky all around.
I feel the same way. If I hadn't been dealing with my father's battle with cancer and ultimate loss to such a hideous disease, I would have swapped brakes immediately on the c5. I sold a 05 Subaru STI-which had phenomenal brakes- to get my c5 Vette. After owning the STI for such a long period of time, I was surprised the braking was so poor in the c5. In the c5 I always make it a point to leave plenty of room between the car in front of me and anything else that might lower my chance for the best visibility.
Unlike the c5, I had the c7 Z brakes save me hardcore when a man- during the night) decided to run across a dark and unlit highway; if I had not been in that c7 Z, I would have surely hit and probably killed him. Thankfully, that car stops hard enough to eject your passenger from the vehicle when the brakes are fully utilized.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:58 AM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
How about some full shots of this bad boy! Nicely done on the trim.
Here you go...

The following 2 users liked this post by workmanw:
SCALLOPED91 (09-13-2017), STALION (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

^^^^^
Tastefully done my friend.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by workmanw
Here you go...

Holy cow!! You've done a great job on the car. Everything is tastefully done and really makes the car kickass. My butt is invious of those seats; I bet you don't shift an ounce through a corner with those nut huggers.

My brakes came and I'm just waiting on the wheels. Jesus Christ on a unicycle, those things are huge! I don't have that many miles on my c7 Z, so I've never had a real reason to take the brakes off and really handle them or see how really huge they are. So, just picking up the c6 z brakes and holding them in my hand for first time, wow! Yup, I like'em.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Joepro95
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

f14s, cf5s, stock c5z 18s all around, TSW NBs, oe c6z and grandsport(poke or rear) were always the go to, some new entries in here as well.

f14s are probably the most popular. I will be getting a set of c5Z 18's if I end up keeing this car.

I also am now running zip 2 pc rotors and stoptech pads, the OE c6z pads dust like crazy.

Last edited by Joepro95; 09-13-2017 at 09:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joepro95:
oneandgone (09-13-2017), SCALLOPED91 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joepro95
f14s, cf5s, stock c5z 18s all around, TSW NBs, oe c6z and grandsport(poke or rear) were always the go to, some new entries in here as well.

f14s are probably the most popular. I will be getting a set of c5Z 18's if I end up keeing this car.

I also am now running zip 2 pc rotors and stoptech pads, the OE c6z pads dust like crazy.

Thank you very much. Love the car. I will look into the pads. I love big brakes but I really hate the dust. I used to buy some stuff from Skull Racing Products that would keep the wheels free of brake dust; the Skull cleaner was the only product ever to live up to the "NO DUST" sales pitch. I don't know why they stopped making it but I really miss that stuff. With that said, I always love hearing from people that have good and bad info on products. So, thanks.

Great looking car my friend. I love these cars in black.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Also, did you have to change your abs module to a zo6 module? I have read a couple of people's comments about a soft pedal after the addition of the c6 z brakes and the change in abs modules fixing the issue. Just curious is that is common or not?
Oh, did you notice a big or any real noticeable difference from the addition of the stoptech brake pads? Are the Stoptechs ceramic?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Joepro95
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Also, did you have to change your abs module to a zo6 module? I have read a couple of people's comments about a soft pedal after the addition of the c6 z brakes and the change in abs modules fixing the issue. Just curious is that is common or not?
Oh, did you notice a big or any real noticeable difference from the addition of the stoptech brake pads? Are the Stoptechs ceramic?

No need to change thehr modulator, my pedal is fine, had the brakes on for 2 years now. I think most people (noone get triggered now) do not follow the bleeding procedure, depending on the year of c5 the sequence is different, and they do not properly used the bleeders on the calipers and get air in the modulator. That said it did take 2 bleeding sessions to get the air all out without a tech 2. I used cheap fluid to bleed then rebled with atx.

The stock c6z pads stop fine, but the dust actually damaged the powder coating on my wheels, and it was extremely heavy. I went with the stop tech sport pads, they have 3 levels, street(which I think are ceramics) sports, and racing. I have a few comments on the sports...WAY less dust, but are metallic, you will get some noise. Also on a street deiven car I have issues with pad deposits on the rear rotors, so I get some pulsation, nothing a hard rebed doesn't take care of for awhile, but it comes back, so for a pure street car, the sport pads may be a little too adgressive material. I'm gonna turn the rears and start over again, but no issue with the fronts.
Best part of the stop techs, they were cheap, 125 from rock auto front and rear vs 300 to 500 for other name brands.

Last edited by Joepro95; 09-13-2017 at 10:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oneandgone (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:57 PM
SCALLOPED91
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

No need to change thehr modulator, my pedal is fine, had the brakes on for 2 years now. I think most people (noone get triggered now) do not follow the bleeding procedure, depending on the year of c5 the sequence is different, and they do not properly used the bleeders on the calipers and get air in the modulator. That said it did take 2 bleeding sessions to get the air all out without a tech 2. I used cheap fluid to bleed then rebled with atx.

The stock c6z pads stop fine, but the dust actually damaged the powder coating on my wheels, and it was extremely heavy. I went with the stop tech sport pads, they have 3 levels, street(which I think are ceramics) sports, and racing. I have a few comments on the sports...WAY less dust, but are metallic, you will get some noise. Also on a street deiven car I have issues with pad deposits on the rear rotors, so I get some pulsation, nothing a hard rebed doesn't take care of for awhile, but it comes back, so for a pure street car, the sport pads may be a little too adgressive material. I'm gonna turn the rears and start over again, but no issue with the fronts.
Best part of the stop techs, they were cheap, 125 from rock auto front and rear vs 300 to 500 for other name brands.
Yeah, my car is a 99 base model. You have any bleeding techniques on how to perform the procedure properly?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm running 4-18" C5Z wheels at all 4 corners. The wheels clear the front brakes by a strand of hair.

Name:  02Z Barn 2.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  482.3 KB

Quick Reply: Help with wheels that work with a c6 z06 brake upgrade