Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car would not start or even turn over last night.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:40 AM
IrbyBocksnick
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car would not start or even turn over last night.

After getting home last night from a 35 mile drive. I had tried to start the car within seconds after killing it. Wouldn't turn over. And it definitely didn't feel like a battery issue. Well. After about another hour. I tried again and it started just fine. Got a feeling this issue will creep up again pretty soon. Any ideas what it might be guys?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

A friend recently had an issue with a bad connection to the starter on his 02. He had absolutely nothing for a bit, then it started just fine. He found the loose connection and fixed it, but he sold the car shortly after so I'm not sure if the issue ever resurfaced.

Another common issue can be the VATS system. The little piece in the key itself gets damaged, dirty, or loose and doesn't let the car start. The next time you have an issue try a spare key, and monitor the security light too.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The starter connections could be loose or dirty and or the starter solenoid which is a commonly well known FAILURE Part can cause this exact issue!

If you have someone HOLD the key to the START position and THUMP the starter/solenoid and that causes the starter to come to LIFE, you found the smoking GUN!

You could also have loose or dirty battery connections. Check that FIRST. Torque the bolts on the battery cables to 11 FT/LBS.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:55 AM
IrbyBocksnick
Intermediate

Yes, thought it could be the chip in the key wearing down. I need to go ahead and get another backup cut.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM
IrbyBocksnick
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If the key was worn and not correctly being read then you would have codes set and the SECURITY light on the dash would stay illuminated when the key is left in the on position. If the SECURITY light is NOT staying ON then the problem is NOT the key pellet......

starting fine now
Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

There is a gremlin in there. I would do a little investigating if it were mine.

Problems usually crop up at the least opportune times...
Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

IF or when it happens again. If it cranks over but won't start listen to hear if fuel pump is working when turning over. You will hear pump engage / run. If there is no sound of fuel pump running go in to fuse box in engine compartment and check relay for fuel system. I think relay is a 2752. Fuel pump and back up lights if I remember right use the same type of relay pull back up relay and try in fuel system slot . Then see if it starts. I had this problem once in my 04 and found out fuel system relay was weak and fuel pump would not engage some of the time causing intermittent starting. New relay and my problem was solved. Dave

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 09-15-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Car would not start or even turn over last night.

Quick Reply: Car would not start or even turn over last night.