Sponsored by:

Someone "Pass the buck" onto me over C5 wheel set :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 PM
vin67
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Someone "Pass the buck" onto me over C5 wheel set :-(

Before explaining what had happened, I just want to say I have no one to blame but myself. I'm venting, not complaining as there is a difference. Hopefully this experience will serve as a reminder or a refresher next time we go out there and buy used parts.

Saw an ad on CL for a set of C5 wheels in great condition with tires. The ad was pretty straight forward and listed size with good info and multiple pics. Contact name and number posted and nothing really stand out or odd from the ad to made me think otherwise as you know how sometimes you can spot a questionable, weird or scam ads on CL.

So I made contact and went to his house to check it out. The wheels were inside the garage where lighting was limited and a little dusty due to sitting there. I check the tires, curb rashes and all the good stuff and we made a deal. He was in his 60/70's and had a Chevelle and also a project Buick in his garage with a newer Challenger in the drive way.

He may or may not be a member here as he had some Corvette parts, maybe one-time a Corvette owner. The Buick project has C4 suspension, he has a LT4 spare engine and other Corvette parts.

So I started to unload one wheel at a time to put into my car from the garage and he started to help me but knowing him in his 60/70's I told him politely don't worry about it, its heavy I can do it all. However, he decline and eagerly want to get the wheels to my car.

Got home getting ready to put them on my 88 C4, I lay them out to be wash, clean and wax before mounting and there I discover one of the wheel has a different color vs the rest!!

3 has the silver color but one has a very light champagne color. I looked over again to see if I was seeing right or maybe I'm color blind but sure enough its different.

Not a C5 Wheel expert but is that light champagne color factory painted from certain year or maybe it was painted by some previous owner.

Anyhow, I was a bit disappointed. I contact the seller, zero response, zero reply.

I have a feeling maybe someone did that to him and now he is just passing the buck. And now it kinda made more sense as he eagerly wanted to help me to put the wheels into my car. Sure quarterbacking now I should've brought them out to the sunlight and clean up the dust and really over them. But in that real time there was no reason to suggest or believe he was selling a off colored set of wheels.

Like I've said, yeah I blame nobody but myself. Although one thing I want to express is that things like this will eventually work itself out in the form of karma.

Ok, now vented, what's the solution?
1. leave it as is? (my 88 is just a driver)
2. buy another silver wheel?
3. go to a bodyshop and get that one rim painted to silver?
4. mount them and never wash the wheels ever? as eventually the dust and grime will all blend in sort of lol

pic 1 - all the wheels together
pic 2 - can you tell the difference? (right is the light champagne colored one)
pic 3 - light champagne color

Last edited by vin67; 09-26-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

My guess is there's some sort of clear-coating, clear wrap, or other coating on there that yellowed with UV rays on there.

Contact the seller and tell him you're very disappointed and would like to return them. He should have disclosed that to you.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 09-13-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 PM
50 ANV C5
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

looks like a 50th anv wheel color , lil scuffed up. but should be able to find a buyer as a spare , bad thing is the center cap is silver , anv color center caps r hard to find , sorry about ur deal
The following users liked this post:
Aerovette (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I'd suggest just buying a matching wheel- you can find them on Craig's list or put an ad up in the Parts section of this forum.

If the gold wheel is stamped "magnesium" you can probably sell that, but one to match your set and put money back in your pocket.
The following users liked this post:
C6_Racer_X (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Magnesium wheels are quite different. Thicker spokes and different style center cap.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:55 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

There are a lot of shady people out there. He knew one was a different color.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,026 Posts

The light champagne color rim in pic 3 is the 50th Anniversary Wheel. Since it is the same rim as the silver painted rims and since it has some scratches and need refinishing anyway, I would just have it repainted the same color as the other 3.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Could be worse... they could all be painted black.

That aside, since the thief doesn't answer the phone, take the wheels back to his house, laid out in the driveway before you knock on the door, craigslist ad printed and wait for him (or the cops) to arrive. Have a report made, take him to small claims court for an amount worth settling for.

Call the guy out. He deserves it.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:59 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

sorry you had a bad experience. just take it as a lesson learned and move on.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Could be worse... they could all be painted black.

That aside, since the thief doesn't answer the phone, take the wheels back to his house, laid out in the driveway before you knock on the door, craigslist ad printed and wait for him (or the cops) to arrive. Have a report made, take him to small claims court for an amount worth settling for.

Call the guy out. He deserves it.
There is no case. The OP inspected the wheels and bought them. They belong to him now. There is no warranty or guaranty. No returns or refunds.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

There are services that do wheel repair and repainting. Some are even mobile. There is a company called Alloy Wheel Repair, look them up. Doesn't even cost much, maybe around $75. Get it fixed and put it behind you. If you're interested I've got a set of CCW Classics for sale with Continental Extreme Contacts. Might have a buyer but nothing definite yet.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by JR-01
There is no case. The OP inspected the wheels and bought them. They belong to him now. There is no warranty or guaranty. No returns or refunds.
Under the circumstances described, covered in dust an not in the light, offered by an enthusiast that knows what he had... argued before a judge, he has quite the case.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Under the circumstances described, covered in dust an not in the light, offered by an enthusiast that knows what he had... argued before a judge, he has quite the case.
Would probably be way cheaper, easier, and less time consuming just to have them repainted or powder coated.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:49 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by 001pewter
Would probably be way cheaper, easier, and less time consuming just to have them repainted or powder coated.
Yeah, but also... you could make his *** pay (legally) or just roll over.

Simply saying what I'd do, which is a lot less severe now that I'm older by a bit. The thief wouldn't get off Scott-free though, believe that.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 50 ANV C5
looks like a 50th anv wheel color , lil scuffed up. but should be able to find a buyer as a spare , bad thing is the center cap is silver , anv color center caps r hard to find , sorry about ur deal
This. That one wheel that is different is not a magnesium wheel but it is a 50th AE wheel. I'd try and sell it and find a regular C5 wheel to match the others.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Get em powder coated. Lemons to lemonade. Pick a cool color.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 PM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
I'd suggest just buying a matching wheel- you can find them on Craig's list or put an ad up in the Parts section of this forum.

If the gold wheel is stamped "magnesium" you can probably sell that, but one to match your set and put money back in your pocket.
And he would be helping the world by putting an end to this wheel set

Get notified of new replies

To Someone "Pass the buck" onto me over C5 wheel set :-(

Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 AM
vin67
Advanced

Thanks for the info on its a 50 anniversary wheel.

Armchair - I did attempt to contact seller to get his side of the story on the wheels, ad deleted and zero response email or text. I did save his original ad on my pdf tho.

JR and Josh - Maybe in my younger dumber no responsibility age I would totally knock on his door and try to resolve the matter but like many have said, just move on. At this point of my life I just don't need trouble or landed in jail over some wheel beef. Sure younger maybe but not now.

If anyone want to swap that 50th wheel for a silver wheel straight up, I'll be up for it. Otherwise I would probably just choose one of the options I listed earlier.

I have not mount them, I did gave all of them a wash, cleaning and wax.

One thing I'm somewhat surprise is that a person in the 60/70's should have many experience in life already and know things will always catch up and come back to ya one way or another and its surprising they don't care and still doing whatever they can get away with. That's ok everyone is different.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:12 AM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is always possible that the seller really didn't know that one was off. Maybe they have vision issues where they really couldn't see the difference? I use to sell things on Craigslist a lot, most people were nice but I had a few that were off. A friend of mine actually sold a guy some speakers once, showed him everything on them, then the guy calls 30 minutes later and realizes it had non-original drivers in it and was like "You got me". My friend said bring them back, I'll give your money back, but the guy never did so not sure why he complained. They weren't anything that expensive in the first place...

I had a guy who offered an old receiver to me which when testing it powered up but no sound. He said to just take it for free and see if I could get it working and if I could to pay and if not to just bring it back. I insisted on at least giving him some cash (about half his asking price) since he didn't know me and was letting me take something home with me. I couldn't get it working, but low and behold the guy never would respond to my calls or emails. I forgot the directions to his house and he never gave me his address so I couldn't easily just show up and bring them back either. I always hope he doesn't think I did that on purpose, but had no way to get ahold of him.

Not defending the seller, but who knows anymore why people don't respond. I'm selling one of my cars and get these people who leave voicemails and emails and I respond back and never hear anything... I like to think people aren't all as malicious as it might seem, but maybe I'm just being optimistic.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 AM
vin67
Advanced

BigBoss - its possible but with all those cars he has, he is for sure in the classic/muscle car crowd and all those Corvette parts he had, I believe he knew. Having said that, when I email and text him after discovering the off color wheel, I've never accuse him knowingly or accuse him passing the buck, all I asked was to talk about why one wheel has different shade/color vs others and he ghosted. no response and the ad was still up after it was sold to me but he deleted right after i contacted him about the color difference.

From those actions is pretty clear he has zero intentions of communicating.

Another puzzling was he lives in a affluent neighborhood, nice house in a cul de sac up on a hill, has plenty of cars, doesn't look like needs the money and still pull something like this. What happened if I was a revenge kinda person and now I know where he lives? Very interesting I tell ya.

Quick Reply: Someone "Pass the buck" onto me over C5 wheel set :-(