Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would Modding a C5 Ruin its Value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 PM
AliceSML79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe after i get a better flowing CAI and Exhaust System i could look into a programmer to get couple more pony's out that beautiful LS1
Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
Even then it's still going to be ridiculously expensive. Paint work these days is insane price wise, which is probably why so many insurance companies total out vehicles that have been involved in an accident, even when they don't actually look to be that badly damaged...

You keep saying this......what do you think it should cost? I think you are caught in the past. Today's paint way outlasts what use to cost $500.00 in the 70s. If you add for inflation and the extra steps and people's higher expectations on a vette, factor in the internet reviews where people will bash you for the slightest of errors they perceive as an issue and lie about what you did to their car, I think it is in check. When I get a chance I will post a pick of my chevelle painted with base coat clear coat over 27 years ago other than the places touched up (rust something a vette won't do) it still looks good. I had estimates that ranged from $2500.00 to $5000.00 back then and very few shops with a good reputation willing to do it!

oh I forgot, what do think it cost to open a modern collision center, with a modern paint booth, these cars are not painted in a garage.

Note: not my car anymore, sold many years ago but this is a recent pic and no I'm not in the paint and body business. I just can't understand when people bash other trades......it pays what it pays in a free market, just like everyone else's job. I also don't understand why people think they are worth what they get paid but others in society aren't allowed to make a living at what the market pays. Rant off.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 09-23-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:30 AM
AliceSML79
Intermediate

believe me i know a vette is not a car u cut corners on. closest thing i can compare it to might be a boat. the boat is like a hole in water u throw money in. that is my expectation of a vette. but it will be a amazing and fun car to own a long time.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AliceSML79
believe me i know a vette is not a car u cut corners on. closest thing i can compare it to might be a boat. the boat is like a hole in water u throw money in. that is my expectation of a vette. but it will be a amazing and fun car to own a long time.
They are a great value right now, good luck the right car is out there and more than likely will be the cleanest, best cared for 20 year old model you could buy
Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 57gman
Talk about way off the subject. Like your lights, could you send me a PM on where you bought them. Don't want to high jack her post.
Thanks. Sent PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert

You keep saying this......what do you think it should cost? I think you are caught in the past. Today's paint way outlasts what use to cost $500.00 in the 70s. If you add for inflation and the extra steps and people's higher expectations on a vette, factor in the internet reviews where people will bash you for the slightest of errors they perceive as an issue and lie about what you did to their car, I think it is in check. When I get a chance I will post a pick of my chevelle painted with base coat clear coat over 27 years ago other than the places touched up (rust something a vette won't do) it still looks good. I had estimates that ranged from $2500.00 to $5000.00 back then and very few shops with a good reputation willing to do it!

oh I forgot, what do think it cost to open a modern collision center, with a modern paint booth, these cars are not painted in a garage.

Note: not my car anymore, sold many years ago but this is a recent pic and no I'm not in the paint and body business. I just can't understand when people bash other trades......it pays what it pays in a free market, just like everyone else's job. I also don't understand why people think they are worth what they get paid but others in society aren't allowed to make a living at what the market pays. Rant off.

While the information you mention is essentially true, I think you're misunderstanding the tone of this discussion. The OP was saying that they're looking for a C-5, in particular a yellow one, and they were entertaining finding a good one, and if necessary, getting it painted yellow.

The discussion then began, stating that C-5s, in many cases, are now dipping into the $12-14K range, which makes it affordable, but doing a proper and quality color change, could easily run $10K.

Nobody is disparaging any body shops for the cost, just cautioning the OP that spending $10K on a paint job, on a car that's worth $15K, just isn't good economics......
Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I have no idea what it SHOULD cost. All I know is when a vehicle is totaled simply because of the cost it would take to repaint it, that's a bit much...and like was said in the previous post, it makes little sense to buy a $15K if it needs $5K or more worth of paint work...
Old 09-23-2017, 02:58 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

maybe after i get a better flowing CAI and Exhaust System i could look into a programmer to get couple more pony's out that beautiful LS1
Just be aware that a catback will change the sound, but isn't much of a performance improvement. If you want actual HP gains, and a little more noise, LT headers are the #1 move, IMO. Also, the hand-held tuners are very expensive for what you can get out of them. A mail order tune from Chuck Cow, or ECS is cheaper, and more effective; just wait until you make your other changes to the airflow before ordering the tune.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
While the information you mention is essentially true, I think you're misunderstanding the tone of this discussion. The OP was saying that they're looking for a C-5, in particular a yellow one, and they were entertaining finding a good one, and if necessary, getting it painted yellow.

The discussion then began, stating that C-5s, in many cases, are now dipping into the $12-14K range, which makes it affordable, but doing a proper and quality color change, could easily run $10K.

Nobody is disparaging any body shops for the cost, just cautioning the OP that spending $10K on a paint job, on a car that's worth $15K, just isn't good economics......
I essentially said that in post 10, I agree there is no way to buy one of these and get a nice paint job on a budget. I was referring to one post about about the "fortune" it cost to get a car painted. The same poster has called the costs "ridiculous" in other threads. I know it's not cheap but it is what it is, you get what you pay for, if it was such a great business to make easy money there would be more competition and prices would come down......

I simply asked him what it should cost??? and pointed out if adjusted for inflation and quality the price is not that different than in the 80s or 70s.

What insurance will pay has nothing to do with it, that has to do with making money for them and the value of a particular car....which has nothing to do with what it cost to paint.

I'm not going to answer his thread because it pointless, he simply does not value what other professionals do for a living.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

these are toys, you buy them cause you like em. If the fact of purchase price and X cost vs sales value is truly a concern dont buy it in the first place youll lose;these are not investments they are money pits.

So happiness costs a little money so what.

Last edited by cv67; 09-23-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:02 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I essentially said that in post 10, I agree there is no way to buy one of these and get a nice paint job on a budget. I was referring to one post about about the "fortune" it cost to get a car painted. The same poster has called the costs "ridiculous" in other threads. I know it's not cheap but it is what it is, you get what you pay for, if it was such a great business to make easy money there would be more competition and prices would come down......

I simply asked him what it should cost??? and pointed out if adjusted for inflation and quality the price is not that different than in the 80s or 70s.

What insurance will pay has nothing to do with it, that has to do with making money for them and the value of a particular car....which has nothing to do with what it cost to paint.

I'm not going to answer his thread because it pointless, he simply does not value what other professionals do for a living.

That isn't true. I don't think football players should get paid millions either, but that doesn't mean I don't value what they do for a living...
Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by grampi50
That isn't true. I don't think football players should get paid millions either, but that doesn't mean I don't value what they do for a living...
Sorry op... this is going off topic

Free market determines value and price

So you watch football for your entertainment but they should take less pay than the market allows? They get paid what their value is determined by free market. If the NFL didn't make what it makes they would not get paid what they get paid.

I don't think you are saying you don't like free market or are you?

I promise to everyone this is my last post off topic here.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I would just be willing to travel to get the car you really want.
Its worth a few hundred in travel expenses to get the right car.
Maybe there is one near a friend or family member you haven't seen in a while.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 PM
AliceSML79
Intermediate

wow this topic has gone astray fast. when i was talking about paint it wouldn't be the same time i bought the car. i would drive it several years first and get the financing out of the way for sure. but i think everyone in the beginning is right i'll just travel.

that is a good tip on the exhaust though. i suppose these cars are already tuned to the max at the factory. wasn't sure if the decade of time that has passed if some new technology has found a few extra pony's with little tricks like a better CAI and exhaust. i may or may not do the exhaust then. depends if i like the OEM tone or not going down the road. i heard some say the OEM tone is a little on the quite side. wont know that till i buy one. and if i have to travel a ways to get it i could defiantly figure out if i like the OEM tone driving it back home.

probably my mods would be a modern head unit with SiriusXM, a amp, some quality speakers, & a trunk mounted sub woofer.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

im thinking something nice like a kenwood exchelon.
Having had 4 Ectelon's (warranty) in a car, they're crap and Kenwood is way off my buy list. Noisy pre-amp; freezes; no thanks.

Now it's gone (good riddance) and a better Pioneer is in situ, thanks to a local dealer. Even the Nav is better than the touted K-wood, and I am hardly a pionbeer fan-boy. Check for honest feedback on Crutchfied's site; maybe A-zon.

Frankly, it's less about performance mods, as I am concerned how hard the car was driven. Stock, it's already a teaser to flog, and I've had best luck with pristine, stock cars in the 30 or so I've owned.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Why not just get a Z06 with a stereo installed unless you prefer an automatic transmission or removable top?

Personally I wanted the coupe but I got one with engine trouble and built it the way I wanted. Doing this is not for everyone but it is basically a new purpose built engine.

If stock is not good enough for you, you could always add a cam and heads. If you search you will see people that got good HP from bolt on's as well. If you are not driving fast then you can just concentrate on reliability.

The important thing is to have fun.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 PM
AliceSML79
Intermediate

automatic is a necessity with my ruined back. i cant work a clutch sadly. also my dream vette is a c5 yellow convertible.

i'm not set on kenwood or anything but something that fits nicely with good options and a reliable gps preferably.

Get notified of new replies

To Would Modding a C5 Ruin its Value?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

One thing that wasn't mentioned is how a mail order tune can wake up a A4 transmission. You do gain some HP with a cold air intake and a tune (~25-30) but the tune reduces torque management and adjusts shift points. The TM was a bit over done on these cars IMO. I sent my PCM to ECS and couldn't be happier.

Double din stereos don't fit in the stock dash bezel and double din bezels are a bit pricey. That is Dennis at Double D mods territory (vendor and forum member). If the car you choose already has one installed then you will save some sone there.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:06 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob 02
One thing that wasn't mentioned is how a mail order tune can wake up a A4 transmission. You do gain some HP with a cold air intake and a tune (~25-30) but the tune reduces torque management and adjusts shift points. The TM was a bit over done on these cars IMO. I sent my PCM to ECS and couldn't be happier.

Double din stereos don't fit in the stock dash bezel and double din bezels are a bit pricey. That is Dennis at Double D mods territory (vendor and forum member). If the car you choose already has one installed then you will save some sone there.
Gears and a stall also is a good mod on a A4, 342s feel like a supercharger compared to the 273s.

Again sorry to op about the paint work rant. sometimes I just can't help myself.

Verts are awsome.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:22 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

^Yeah right. You want the performance gears. The coupe came with either 2.73 or 3.15 in case you haven't learned about this yet. The Z06 came with 3.42's.
I have 3.15 which isn't bad but I have been looking for a good 3.42 differential.
I wouldn't want a 2.73 diff but I guess it doesn't matter if you are going to swap for lower gears any way.

Quick Reply: Would Modding a C5 Ruin its Value?