Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

^ that looks very cool! great find Andy
Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Hotrodzz3
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyDove
Well of course as thread starter I couldn't not do it

...and I love love love them. I dismantled the lights, put a string of red LED's around the outside to give a halo glow. Then I cut some drinking straws to mask each of the original RV leds, and plastidip-ed the reflector black. The rim LED's are the tail lights, and the orginal RV lights are the brakes. The only sad thing is it is really difficult to take a photo of LED's with a digital camera, it just washes them out. These photo's look pink, but IRL they are a beautiful blood red. Could not be happier, and for about $10 a light plus another $2 in ebay's finest 12v red strip leds i'm a happy man. Keep sneaking out to the garage to put my lights on

'Halo' lamps.

It looks like one is brighter. It is not. And they are very red, not pink as this digital image suggests.
How did you get the lens off with out breaking or cracking it? and what was the reasoning for painting the reflector black?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrodzz3
How did you get the lens off with out breaking or cracking it? and what was the reasoning for painting the reflector black?
Unlike the OE lenses, these ones came apart with a little teasing. I started with a Stanley knife to make a little gap and then fingernails were just about enough to do it. The sealant is more like silicon bathroom sealant than the super strong / super permanent adhesive used on the OE ones.

Reason for painting the lens black is personal preference. The new lenses are a little lighter than OE, and with the white (it was white, not chrome and reflective) 'reflector' it made the taillight a little pinky when off. With a black reflector they show a darker stealthier red when off, but still v.bright when on. LED's don't really send much light backwards so frankly the reflector didn't do much anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndyDove:
ArmchairArchitect (10-16-2017), Hotrodzz3 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Hotrodzz3
Racer

Did the black paint make it so that they don't look lighter in the middle of the light? Mine look dark around the edges and lighter in the middle and I'd like it to look darker in the center.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hotrodzz3
Did the black paint make it so that they don't look lighter in the middle of the light? Mine look dark around the edges and lighter in the middle and I'd like it to look darker in the center.
The black paint did make it darker in the middle. The white reflector doesn't go all the way to edge anyway (see images in this thread), so painting it makes it darker in the middle.

By the way, I say 'paint' but actually I used flexi-coat, similar to plasti-dip. The reason I used that is it is non-permanent (can be peeled off) and it is definitely non-conductive. You are spraying directly onto electrical components since some electronic resistors are exposed.

I was going to say pop in and check mine out since you are MI, but I see you are waaay upstate compared to me in metro-Detroit.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Hotrodzz3
Racer

I was thinking of using plasti-dip on them too. Will do the extra ones first since I already have them installed. I used to live waaay down there over by Metro Beach, still go down all the time to see our grandson.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 AM
FasterZ
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RV LED tail lights installed

Just installed them yesterday, way better than stock

Last edited by FasterZ; 11-20-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added another picture
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-29-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks good and without breaking your bank.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:07 AM
AndyDove
Instructor

Originally Posted by FasterZ
Just installed them yesterday, way better than stock

Picture links broken?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Picture links broken?
They are working fine for me
Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 AM
AndyDove
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrprich
They are working fine for me
Yeah it was me. Seems my company internet is blocking the links. I can see them on iPhone connect to cell data, but not if connected to company wifi. Weird...
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Yeah it was me. Seems my company internet is blocking the links. I can see them on iPhone connect to cell data, but not if connected to company wifi. Weird...
Mine has been doing that a*lot* lately. Work wifi pics are blocked but cellular data is fine. Damn IT dept
Old 02-01-2018, 10:51 PM
Stephen Meredith
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Well of course as thread starter I couldn't not do it

...and I love love love them. I dismantled the lights, put a string of red LED's around the outside to give a halo glow. Then I cut some drinking straws to mask each of the original RV leds, and plastidip-ed the reflector black. The rim LED's are the tail lights, and the orginal RV lights are the brakes. The only sad thing is it is really difficult to take a photo of LED's with a digital camera, it just washes them out. These photo's look pink, but IRL they are a beautiful blood red. Could not be happier, and for about $10 a light plus another $2 in ebay's finest 12v red strip leds i'm a happy man. Keep sneaking out to the garage to put my lights on

'Halo' lamps.

It looks like one is brighter. It is not. And they are very red, not pink as this digital image suggests.
What $2 strips did you use? I want to make sure I get the ones that will fit before I tear into these to modify.

Mine came in today. Nice & bright! Took a small video
View this post on Instagram
Old 02-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Stephen Meredith
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Video of stockers on the outside. LEDs on the inside.

YUUUGE difference!

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Stephen Meredith; 02-04-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:05 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stephen Meredith
What $2 strips did you use? I want to make sure I get the ones that will fit before I tear into these to modify.

Mine came in today. Nice & bright! Took a small video
https://instagram.com/p/BergJgZBTrp/
Sorry for the delay - I got these ones:
http://a.co/8Nnu70x
One reel is plenty for all four lamps (and a bunch of spare). Just a warning though, I will probably put a voltage regulator on them before summer. Your car puts out more than 12v (13.5v or slightly more typical) which may blow these leds eventually. With a regulator you could drop the V down to 11v max without any discernible drop in lumens, and the strips would last much longer (probably the life of the car).
/Andy

Last edited by AndyDove; 02-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:28 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Sorry for the delay - I got these ones:
http://a.co/8Nnu70x
One reel is plenty for all four lamps (and a bunch of spare). Just a warning though, I will probably put a voltage regulator on them before summer. Your car puts out more than 12v (13.5v or slightly more typical) which may blow these leds eventually. With a regulator you could drop the V down to 11v max without any discernible drop in lumens, and the strips would last much longer (probably the life of the car).
/Andy
Couldn't the same be said of any LEDs on the car, including these trailer LED tail lights themselves, interior LEDs, etc.? Is a voltage regulatory necessary for every LED installed on these cars, or are these red light strips more susceptible to damage for some reason?

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 02-11-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:37 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Couldn't the same be said of any LEDs on the car, including these trailer LED tail lights themselves, interior LEDs, etc.? Is a voltage regulatory necessary for every LED installed on these cars, or are these red light strips more susceptible to damage for some reason?
All the other LED's in the vehicle, including the ones in the RV tail lights are supplied with regulated voltage, and use the more robust domed LED's (unlike these flexible surface mount ones). These LED's from Ebay are cheap as chips and not really built to withstand the rigors of voltage spikes and bouncing around, but with a bit of regulation they'll be fine (YMMV).
ArmchairArchitect (02-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette taillights on Travel Trailer

Old 02-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Raiden8816
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub’d. Since I’m looking for a 4th modded halo light. Guess I can do this mod for the time being lol.

Can someone point me in the right direction for socket adapters that way I can just solder these up.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Raiden8816
Sub’d. Since I’m looking for a 4th modded halo light. Guess I can do this mod for the time being lol.

Can someone point me in the right direction for socket adapters that way I can just solder these up.
Here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...apter&_sacat=0
Raiden8816 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Raiden8816
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Cool thank you! Since those adapters are black/red/blue how did you wire them?

Adapter Red > LED BLACK ??
Adapter Black >LED WHITE
Adapter Blue > LED RED ??

Quick Reply: Corvette taillights on Travel Trailer