Sponsored by:

Corvette taillights on Travel Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:03 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Corvette taillights on Travel Trailer

I found this very interesting. I was just walking behind a travel trailer at my local storage yard, I noticed the RV's taillights looked oddly familiar. On closer inspection, sure enough the old lenses for C5 tails are reused for LED's for modern travel trailers and RV's. What this means is, if you want LED taillights, then you could buy these for $18 a pop - way cheaper than paying 400% the price for something identical but with the 'corvette tax'. For sure these are not as nice as halo style lights, but still more vibrant than in the incandescent options.

The following 6 users liked this post by AndyDove:
ArmchairArchitect (01-01-2018), doublenut9 (10-11-2019), Glasact (10-17-2017), J. Kent (07-18-2018), Skyhawk23 (09-17-2017), tooltime47 (12-21-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Andy,

Good find. Going check out the measurement and make sure it fit then will order some and try it.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Thanks for taking the leap - please report back if they really fit. I'm 99.999% certain they are exactly the same lenses as I was in my Corvette at the time and was able to take a closer look. I think the lenses would sit slight shallower than the OE fitment becuase of the LED housing, but you'd have to look twice to notice.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:51 PM
am3gross
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

interesting!
Old 09-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Well who knew. Great find.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:14 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

The link doesn't seem to work.....could you repost it?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

If you use Google to search for "L03-0066" (that's the part number for the RV taillights) you will find several outlets selling them.

The link doesn't seem to work very well, but the URL is:

https://www.allenoffroad.com/L03-006...p/l03-0066.htm

/Andy

Last edited by AndyDove; 09-17-2017 at 07:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AndyDove:
ArmchairArchitect (11-29-2017), dmaxx3500 (10-07-2017), jrprich (09-17-2017), tooltime47 (12-21-2018)
Old 09-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice find and the price is right. The appearance is just not that great, at least from that pic.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Mitch45
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

found a site that gives the dimensions . they were a blurred but look like 8 5/8 by 5 5/8
Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

There's a few things about those that would have to be taken into consideration just by looking at them.

They don't seem to have the curvature that the stock tail lights have. The backs of the housings are also completely flat. Ideally you would need to use some nylon spacers to flush them out or try to work against the curvature of the C5 fascia (I actually run something similar when I flush mounted my tails). Personally I wouldn't just sit them in and go to town tightening up the sheet metal screws as I'd imagine you wouldn't be happy with the results. You'll see what I'm talking about if you remove one of your stock tail lights.

They also would have to be spliced - into something - to work. When you buy these lights you will see just dangling wires out of the backs of the housings. You'll have to work out what powers what.

$18 each is appealing but considering the issues the lights will have, the work spent, and that better setups can run ~$200 - which to be brutally honest is not a lot of money for taillights - I'd go that route.

If anyone works anything out though would be interesting to see what they did.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (02-14-2018)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
There's a few things about those that would have to be taken into consideration just by looking at them.

They don't seem to have the curvature that the stock tail lights have. The backs of the housings are also completely flat. Ideally you would need to use some nylon spacers to flush them out or try to work against the curvature of the C5 fascia (I actually run something similar when I flush mounted my tails). Personally I wouldn't just sit them in and go to town tightening up the sheet metal screws as I'd imagine you wouldn't be happy with the results. You'll see what I'm talking about if you remove one of your stock tail lights.

They also would have to be spliced - into something - to work. When you buy these lights you will see just dangling wires out of the backs of the housings. You'll have to work out what powers what.

$18 each is appealing but considering the issues the lights will have, the work spent, and that better setups can run ~$200 - which to be brutally honest is not a lot of money for taillights - I'd go that route.

Thanks for the updated info. I am consider doing this tail light project and see how it looks, I know that the back of the led lights are flat it was shown in the web site with the dimension. I have not started on it yet because I want to check and measure the OEM size and make sure that it will fit. Also you mention about the curvature of the OEM tail lights, I was going to to put my blackout lens back on it anyway, and that has a little bit of the curve to accommodate the curve a bit? But nylon extension can be use to push the led light out a bit almost the same space distance used for the flush tail light mod. The wiring already worked out, it was listed in one of the site as to what power what.

For the amount of money it is good to play, so if it works great and if it don't work then I can always wire it to my trailer. :-)

Last edited by Skyhawk23; 09-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:58 AM
AndyDove
Instructor

You are right to a degree. These RV lights are only using the Lens (the transparent red part) of the C5, and that part is absolutely flat on the back (with a lip). Elsewhere on the forum you'll see me fiddling with 3D printed parts to match up to the lens - I broke an old one apart, and it really is dead flat on the back, with no Left or Right difference. What is NOT completely flat though is the C5 reflector housing (the black plastic part). Because the OE reflector has a single bulb, the reflector is angled depending on side of car. This may be less important with LED's as they have more of a 'mat' of light than a single source.

The lugs in the back of the car that the lens and reflector screw into provide the angle, so being flat on the back might not be an issue - BUT your mileage may vary... You will need some kind of solution to prevent hyperflash though (resistors would work I guess).

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette

Old 09-18-2017, 12:28 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Look forward to seeing pics of these mounted on a C5 !

But I bet the vendors selling these trailer lights will get wind of them being bought by Corvette owners and the prices will then skyrocket ;^(
Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Skyhawk23
Thanks for the updated info. The wiring already worked out, it was listed in one of the site as to what power what. :-)
Would you post the link to the wiring you found?
Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Good luck. Hopefully this works out for a few of you. But I question the value. $72 for the lights and that's before any wiring or anything extra you might need to make it work. When it's only $200-$300 for a plug and play set, I'm not sure it's worth the time and money for something that won't be perfect.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrprich
Would you post the link to the wiring you found?
Thanks
JRprich,

Here is the web link to the info.
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...2-led-l03-0066

I have not had a chance to test it out so if you do anything, it is on your nickel.

I am still trying to find out the exact measurement of our OEM light. Once I am confirm the size then I will order a set to test. I find the Ebay sell it even cheaper than $18.00 a piece.

With all that said I think it will work as good as the vendor is selling it. Just a little bit of mod then it will function right.

Beside I have a hyper flash unit install already so I think I am good to go.

Hope the info help.
The following users liked this post:
jrprich (09-22-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdogg21
Good luck. Hopefully this works out for a few of you. But I question the value. $72 for the lights and that's before any wiring or anything extra you might need to make it work. When it's only $200-$300 for a plug and play set, I'm not sure it's worth the time and money for something that won't be perfect.
tdogg21,

You maybe right about the price for a almost ready plug and play set. But I have also read that a lot of OP are doing mod to the $200-$300 set to make it right. I have also heard complaints about that type tail of LED tail light as well.

As I have mention before, if the trailer LED didn't work out, I can always put the OEM set back in no harm done.

Then I'll just install the LED set to my trailer.

But if it works then maybe another path for people that wants LED without paying the Corvette tax.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette taillights on Travel Trailer

Old 09-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

O.k. the LED lights has been ordered. I'll update once I have it installed.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Cool - looking forward to seeing how they look! Thank you for being the guinea pig!
Andy

O.k. the LED lights has been ordered. I'll update once I have it installed.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

tdogg21,

You maybe right about the price for a almost ready plug and play set. But I have also read that a lot of OP are doing mod to the $200-$300 set to make it right. I have also heard complaints about that type tail of LED tail light as well.

As I have mention before, if the trailer LED didn't work out, I can always put the OEM set back in no harm done.

Then I'll just install the LED set to my trailer.

But if it works then maybe another path for people that wants LED without paying the Corvette tax.
Good luck! I'm all for trying new things and if a better solution is found, that will be great. I paid $250 for mine with the halo mod. Literally plug and play. Three years later and not a single issue. Hopefully the wiring won't be too much of an issue and it'll be worth it. I'll be interested to see the finished pictures and hear how the install goes.

Quick Reply: Corvette taillights on Travel Trailer