Sponsored by:

blow dryer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default blow dryer

question is, I know some of you use a blow dryer for your cars, and was looking for suggestions from people that have actually used them. Your suggestions, and are they worth it? Getting older and looking if there is something easier than hand drying them, especially with four cars (corvette is the easy one) that are hard to keep clean. Please don't suggest a car wash, don't care for them.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have used a Master-Blaster for years. If you can afford one, that is the way to go.

Some use leaf blowers, but they do not "filter" the air, so if there is dust and particles in the air (like where I live), it just concentrates them toward the clear coat. The Master-Blaster also heats the air which aids in evaporating the water. Finally, the rubber nozzle increases the velocity at the exit, it is able to get into small places that a leaf blower can't reach and it protects against accidentally scratching the paint if it touches.

In short, it's a tool designed for the job.

Last edited by Choreo; 09-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Yeah there's no way I would ever spend $400 to dry a car. These are cars, not the crown jewels.
The following users liked this post:
3tt3v8P (09-29-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:01 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Leaf blower...and what he said above me
Old 09-25-2017, 01:20 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I wash the car then take it for a quick blast down the highway. By the time it is back in the garage, the vast majority of the water is gone and some detailing spray/microfiber towel makes quick work of getting the car looking great.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:32 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,550 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If your car has a good coat of polish/wax on it the water should bead up on it. After washing I take the open hose nozzle and "sheet" the water off. After that there is almost nothing left. Follow that up with a good waffle weave microfiber for what little is left. Then I use the backpack leaf blower for the wheels and areas where water accumulates. I've heard all the stories about contaminants from the leaf blower. Haven't experienced that, so I'll have to respectfully disagree. IMO these contraptions that blow hot air are probably very nice, but they are too expensive and unnecessary.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
3tt3v8P (09-29-2017), chasboy (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Leaf blower for me. I get the majority of the water off, towel dry the rest.

Shakey
Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

I use a "large" WetVack and use the blower side....Think it cost $49.95 complete with all attachments.

Last edited by runner140*; 09-25-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a master blaster. Well worth the investment IMHO. filtered and heated air makes for quick work. Gets the water out of the mirrors and other drop spots. Plus no scratching.

I use it on all my vehicles when I wash. So it gets used very frequently.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Leaf blower.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 AM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 211 Posts

Leaf blower here too. And now that we're on the subject, just how many quarts of water get trapped in the window weatherstripping, mirrors, and emblems? It seems I go over those areas time and again and the water just keeps coming out, especially the moulding around the back window (Z06). Maybe coupes and verts are different?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I am sure glad I went with waterless washes a long time ago. Makes life a lot easier, the Vette always looks show ready and I don't have to deal with the above issues.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:33 AM
lonerider2002
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I got one of these filters for my garden hose and it makes washing my 5 cars much easier with no ( or very little ) water spots. The Vette rarely sees water of any kind-rain or wash asI have been using Maguire's waterless wash & wax for quite a while now w/great results. Just a quick wipe with a soft shammy does the trick after washing.
Click the "spot-free car wash" link for some good info.

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/garden-hose-filters

I also have a Jet-blaster that I used w/my Harley(which I recently sold but don't seem to need it when using this filter.
El original (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

Im going to suggest a different method (as stated by JR). I no longer "wash" my car. I use the Waterless Wash & Wax from Meguiars.

I can not tell you how much cleaner and smoother my paint looks and feels since I stopped "washing" my car. Also, instead of taking 2+ hours to wash and dry the car - with the waterless product Im done in 30 to 45 min.

Also - just my personal opinion, but I once used a lead blower to take the water off my car after a wash, and yes it gets the water off quickly and easily... However, once dry, the paint did not feel smooth at all...Id go so far to say it felt rough.

Now if you Vette is a daily driver or you live where cars get really dirty just going around the block, yes you may have to wash your car here and there - but if you can go waterless - trust me, you will thank me in the long run.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I wash the car then take it for a quick blast down the highway. By the time it is back in the garage, the vast majority of the water is gone and some detailing spray/microfiber towel makes quick work of getting the car looking great.
And a more fun way to dry the car!!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by glbeauchamp
Leaf blower here too. And now that we're on the subject, just how many quarts of water get trapped in the window weatherstripping, mirrors, and emblems? It seems I go over those areas time and again and the water just keeps coming out, especially the moulding around the back window (Z06). Maybe coupes and verts are different?
That is where something like a Master Blaster comes in, but be careful what you wish for. It won't only blow out all the water trapped under moldings (like the rear window) but it also blows out all the dust, dirt and mud with it if you decide that is what you want! The first time you use it, you may have to wash the car again! It is really great for things like around lug nuts and taillight lenses where a leaf blower just removes what you see, so all the hidden water runs out later.

That said, the past few years I have only "washed" my car 1-2 times per year since switching to waterless maintenance methods.

Last edited by Choreo; 09-25-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:06 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
I am sure glad I went with waterless washes a long time ago. Makes life a lot easier, the Vette always looks show ready and I don't have to deal with the above issues.
I make it a point to hose down my Vette and blow dry each and every day.

It is not in a garage, but parked under a carport.

Even if a vehicle is parked in a closed garage, it is going to get dust on it, and you are telling we on this forum that your finish is spectacular by using a water-less product?

Below is a pic of my vette taken five minutes ago.
You can see the accumulated dust on the finish.

If i took a rag to this finish before hosing it down, I would have minor scratches, and most definitely swirl marks.

I just don't believe you when you say your finish is "show ready, if you are not removing the contaminants before taking any kind of rag to the surface.

Bottom pic is after hosing down and blow dry.
Attached Images   

Last edited by calguy; 09-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To blow dryer

Old 09-25-2017, 04:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calguy
I make it a point to hose down my Vette and blow dry each and every day.

It is not in a garage, but parked under a carport.

Even if a vehicle is parked in a closed garage, it is going to get dust on it, and you are telling we on this forum that your finish is spectacular by using a water-less product?

Below is a pic of my vette taken five minutes ago.
You can see the accumulated dust on the finish.

If i took a rag to this finish before hosing it down, I would have minor scratches, and most definitely swirl marks.

I just don't believe you when you say your finish is "show ready, if you are not removing the contaminants before taking any kind of rag to the surface.

Bottom pic is after hosing down and blow dry.
I have been using waterless wash products including Chadwicks and now Meguiers for the last 20 years. When I get dust on it I go ever it lightly with a California duster and then use Meguiers Waterless wash and wax. My C5 looks better now than when I bought it. I had been washing my show cars for 20 years before I learned about waterless wash products at a car show from guys using it on their $200K show cars.. Almost everyone that switches to waterless products do not go back to soap and water. The ones that do probably aren't following instructions. Personally I don't care if you believe me or not and you hose down your car everyday. That's up to you. I get the same results with less effort in a lot less time.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-25-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
I have been using waterless wash products including Chadwicks and now Meguiers for the last 20 years. When I get dust on it I go ever it lightly with a California duster and then use Meguiers Waterless wash and wax. My C5 looks better now than when I bought it. I had been washing my show cars for 20 years before I learned about waterless wash products at a car show from guys using it on their $200K show cars.. Almost everyone that switches to waterless products do not go back to soap and water. The ones that do probably aren't following instructions. Personally I don't care if you believe me or not and you hose down your car everyday. That's up to you. I get the same results with less effort in a lot less time.

Using a california duster on any vehicle finish is sure to grind dirt particles into the finish .

Anytime one takes any kind of cloth to a "dry" finish, you are going to embed contaminants into the finish.
Obviously you are seeing dust on the finish , which is why you are using the duster to begin with.

Hey, it's your car, and you can do what you want with it, but I would never ,ever use one of those on any vehicle I own.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for, and I don't care if it's money, or time.

When one cuts corners they will never get the results that one gets when spending an appreciable amount of time on detailing.

Like I said,your car, do what you want.

Bob.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calguy
Using a california duster on any vehicle finish is sure to grind dirt particles into the finish .

Anytime one takes any kind of cloth to a "dry" finish, you are going to embed contaminants into the finish.
Obviously you are seeing dust on the finish , which is why you are using the duster to begin with.

Hey, it's your car, and you can do what you want with it, but I would never ,ever use one of those on any vehicle I own.

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for, and I don't care if it's money, or time.

When one cuts corners they will never get the results that one gets when spending an appreciable amount of time on detailing.

Like I said,your car, do what you want.

Bob.
You obviously have no experience with a California duster or have been using it wrong.
My car is a driver, it looks better than the day I bought it, it gets compliments at car shows all the time and I have washed it only once in the last 5 years.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-25-2017 at 05:52 PM.
3tt3v8P (09-29-2017)

Quick Reply: blow dryer