C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did a thing! APR GTC-300 67" carbon wing installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:06 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmvette
I made mine with a spring and a rubber stopper I purchased at Lowe's. About $4, same exact thing.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:14 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Erik, those most recent pics look schaweet. I think that the wing looks great and even better as it's for function. I keep looking at the drifter style pedestal mount style rear wings myself for my FRC.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:54 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I wonder how folks will feel about wings when the new ZR1 comes
out with a big wing???? A factory wing..................
The following 2 users liked this post by road pilot:
ErikwithAK01 (10-14-2017), mre1974 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
I wonder how folks will feel about wings when the new ZR1 comes
out with a big wing???? A factory wing..................
You mean a wing with thousands of hours of R&D, wind tunnel testing, and track time? Gee I dunno. ...
Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 PM
typeav
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

from the guy with the corvette to the ricer wannabe
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

I think you need some front dive planes and maybe a little more splitter. Wing is a bold statement, so you need a little more statement to balance it. In addition, C5's lift as is (I see you added hood vents), so adding some additional front end will definitely plant the car.

Only visual gripe I have, is I feel the wing is too far forward. I'd look to modified pedestals to put it just beyond the back edge of the far most point of the bumper.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I made mine with a spring and a rubber stopper I purchased at Lowe's. About $4, same exact thing.
Name:  29XYmgE.gif
Views: 96
Size:  1.85 MB
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 AM
ZEEZERO-6
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

hum, if you show up to the picnic late and all the tables are taken you have nothing to worry about ...

FWIW, if yoga was discovered in Arkansas it would be called stretching - tell the wifey

But it does look coool, probably allows the COPs to spot you easier ...
Old 10-15-2017, 12:06 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

Ever seen the smokin' hot girls that do yoga? Yeah, my "wifey" trains them. I think I would rather have that to come home to at the end of the day thank you very much

I will give it to ya here though; within a week of having the wing, I was pulled over for the first time in this car, which I bought in Jan 2014 No ticket though (whew)!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Oldsko1
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!!!!You once had a beautiful car!!!!Just kidding, to each his on.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:09 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
You mean a wing with thousands of hours of R&D, wind tunnel testing, and track time? Gee I dunno. ...
I have a thousand's of hours of R&D wing. Not factory!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Here's your thousands of hours of wind tunnel, and Computational fluid data on the APR GTC 300. Also, a few pictures of proper race cars that run this wing, so as you can see; not just a pretty piece. If that is all I wanted, I would not have dropped $1500 for it lol. Ebay ones are like $300.

http://aprperformance.com/racing-pro...table-wings/#5

Man look at all those rubish, ruined Corvettes I guess ST2 TT2 events just aren't for real sports cars :/
Attached Images           

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 10-15-2017 at 08:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ErikwithAK01:
ArmchairArchitect (06-01-2021), mre1974 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
Yes, the hatch struts are fine with it. However, when I hit just the button on the dash, it won't disengage from the catch, so I have to pull up with one hand on the hatch while I am cycling the key button for the rear to open it. Once it is open, it stays open though.

I actually just did a photo shoot the other day, so I can post some better ones It was what wil probably be the last 70 degree day of the year where I live, so I hit the twistys on my favorite mountain road
Okay I spent some time looking at those last photos, its definitely well done. I mean... The more I look and the more I try not to think inside the box the more it looks good. I couldn't do it but... I guess maybe it could grow on me. Haha I need a video of you taking off from the back of the car =)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:18 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Here's your thousands of hours of wind tunnel, and Computational fluid data on the APR GTC 300. Also, a few pictures of proper race cars that run this wing, so as you can see; not just a pretty piece. If that is all I wanted, I would not have dropped $1500 for it lol. Ebay ones are like $300.

Man look at all those rubish, ruined Corvettes I guess ST2 TT2 events just aren't for real sports cars :/
Nobody said that. Personally I think those cars look great... on the track. Decals, wings, all that stuff looks out of place on the street to me. Clean is mean.
​​​​​​If you like it, enjoy it.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

If you're going to be snarky then how about answering my original question? Do you have sticky tires for all corners to actually use that thing? Cause if not it's just a park bench at this point and is doing more harm than good. If you want a mix of street/track that's well and good and all but there's no reason to leave that thing on when you drive around on the streets. Doesn't take all that much to dismount it.

The C5/C6 is more than capable out of the box, spend the money on tires/brakes LONG before areo.
The following users liked this post:
STALION (06-01-2021)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM
typeav
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Only mods accepted are the ones that make another man's wife happier.

May the downforce be with you, always
Old 10-16-2017, 12:09 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Yeah, but I do what I want is really what it is. I buy things when they come up for sale; like the one that went for $1200 shipped WITH THE SILVER HATCH that I missed I was already saving for that wing before someone finally snatched it, and then I discovered that Southern Carp Parts had it for cheaper than anywhere else, so I just spent the money then. And, no harm no foul, I was just poking a little fun I like track cars, but right now I still need at least a cage, bigger brakes, etc, etc. Still working on it all.

I have pieced together my front brake set, which will probably be the next thing I buy. I'm gonna do the Wilwood Aero6 front calipers, with AFX 2-piece slotted rotors. I will lose around 8lbs per wheel in unsprung weight, and rotating mass going that route Then I have to decide if I'm going to invest in a dewitts radiator, and lay it out so I can finish the front aero, or if I will do Pfadt featherlight coilovers, and sway bars...everything costs a lot of money from here

It took me a while to piece together 2 pair of 18" Z06 factory wheels, but I did it finally late last summer, and got some cheap A7 scrubs from a speed shop I used to work for (left on good terms, so the owner still likes me lol). They aren't real pretty, but they were cheap. I need to get one more though because one of them doesn't hold air even switched the tires. The Z06 wheels are about the lightest you can get, so that is my track set. The bronze Forgestar's are too big an heavy, and they have been known to crack on the track, so they are just street wheels.

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 10-16-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To I did a thing! APR GTC-300 67" carbon wing installed

Old 10-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

FWIW I never said I didn't like the look, but you're trying to justify the reason for mounting it, which isn't adding up. You can simply say "I wanted the look" and take the pokes from the other members, which is what you get when you post in open forums.

I just don't see how you could go with areo mods before getting rid of the stock crap brakes and something sticky on the rims. I owned my car all of about 10 minutes before it went to the track and the stock brakes scared the **** out of me. Later that week I had a 355mm BBK on it, and I'm by far from ballin like some of the members here. I just don't want to die on the track.

Last edited by Shaolin Crane; 10-16-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

I straightlined it, that's how. At 1/2 and 1-mile events, they always have a coasting section where you let the car slow down and cool off over a long distance. That way you don't cook the brakes. However, I think the stock brakes aren't TOO bad with Ti shims, stainless pistons, rbf600, a correctly bedded set of race pads, and a pallet full of canadian NAPA rotors Once I started getting confident in it, and braking hard and later, I started getting unacceptable pad taper, and the calipers just flex like they're made for a sedan...but that was last year, and alas, I did not get any track time this year at all My family had 2 weddings, my wife's side had 2, and both our sisters had babies at the same time, and my father retired All good reasons to keep ya outta the seat Also, it has been a while since I built a car, and I never got to do a total aero package on anything all by myself (was my old mans' specialty), so I started with that, because it is more fun for me to build up at this time.

Anyways, I decided I wanted to use it in the twistys, so it is under going a bit of a transformation...again. I tend to change the identity of my car a lot, so nothing is really permanent on this Vette.

Side note, I am actually planning on going to 14" fronts when I upgrade my brakes I want to be able to throw some cheapo C6 Z06 rotors on there when I'm on the street; no need to ruin $400 a piece rotors with street driving :{

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 10-16-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

I straightlined it, that's how. At 1/2 and 1-mile events, they always have a coasting section where you let the car slow down and cool off over a long distance. That way you don't cook the brakes. However, I think the stock brakes aren't TOO bad with Ti shims, stainless pistons, rbf600, a correctly bedded set of race pads, and a pallet full of canadian NAPA rotors Once I started getting confident in it, and braking hard and later, I started getting unacceptable pad taper, and the calipers just flex like they're made for a sedan...but that was last year, and alas, I did not get any track time this year at all My family had 2 weddings, my wife's side had 2, and both our sisters had babies at the same time, and my father retired All good reasons to keep ya outta the seat Also, it has been a while since I built a car, and I never got to do a total aero package on anything all by myself (was my old mans' specialty), so I started with that, because it is more fun for me to build up at this time.

Anyways, I decided I wanted to use it in the twistys, so it is under going a bit of a transformation...again. I tend to change the identity of my car a lot, so nothing is really permanent on this Vette.

Side note, I am actually planning on going to 14" fronts when I upgrade my brakes I want to be able to throw some cheapo C6 Z06 rotors on there when I'm on the street; no need to ruin $400 a piece rotors with street driving :{
You won't ruin the rotors on any decent BBK, they are much harder than any one piece. PM me and I can give you info on my BBK, which my cousins company designed and is the best I've ever used, and I've run pretty much all of them. Price will be much less too.

Quick Reply: I did a thing! APR GTC-300 67" carbon wing installed