C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: L92/LS3 6.2L swap into C5 FRC

Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Subscribed. The look on your wife’s face is absolutely priceless and says volumes, nice catch.
The following 2 users liked this post by f6john:
LilNutSac (12-17-2019), SG Lou (01-14-2018)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:18 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Some quick updates. Bought HPTuners to make some "fun" changes to the tune. Total noob so I'm just logging and learning for now but I'll post up my findings as I go along. Took the car out for a spin to get familiarized and develop some log parameters. During the short ride I got a bad miss, the engine started cutting out completely, and was very hard to restart. Threw a P0336 Crank Position Sensor code, I was barely able to limp it home. Not fun, but I have a new ACDelco sensor on the way which will hopefully fix the issue. I'm hoping the wiring harness isn't burnt on the longtubes, but if they've made it this far it should be fine.

On a positive note my used LS3 intake/rail/injectors came in so I plopped that on top of the L92 and it looks purdy.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Some quick updates. Bought HPTuners to make some "fun" changes to the tune. Total noob so I'm just logging and learning for now but I'll post up my findings as I go along. Took the car out for a spin to get familiarized and develop some log parameters. During the short ride I got a bad miss, the engine started cutting out completely, and was very hard to restart. Threw a P0336 Crank Position Sensor code, I was barely able to limp it home. Not fun, but I have a new ACDelco sensor on the way which will hopefully fix the issue. I'm hoping the wiring harness isn't burnt on the longtubes, but if they've made it this far it should be fine.

On a positive note my used LS3 intake/rail/injectors came in so I plopped that on top of the L92 and it looks purdy.
Thanks for letting us "ride along" with you. I get a lot of insight (and a lot of new dreams) from reading your posts.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

What did you pay for the intake setup? I'm still deciding what I'm gonna run
Old 11-16-2017, 08:19 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
Thanks for letting us "ride along" with you. I get a lot of insight (and a lot of new dreams) from reading your posts.
Thanks, appreciate the comments. I will keep the updates coming.

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
What did you pay for the intake setup? I'm still deciding what I'm gonna run
I think it was $425 for an LS3 intake, injectors, and fuel rail. Still on the hunt for an LS2 silver blade throttle body.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:53 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

So during some initial datalogging a few days ago with HPTuners, the car begin to sputter and run roughly. It began hard to restart and wouldn't stay running, even with gas input. P0336 indicated a bad crank position sensor and the wildly swinging tach when it cut out confirmed that.

I threw in the new sensor last night. Not hard, but I did have to partially swing the longtube out of the way, and unbolt the starter.

Part of the challenge of working blind is that you can't always see what something is hung up on. The plug got beat up by the header flange moving around up top while I was under the lift.

I will continue to datalog tonight and maybe make some changes in the tune to play around.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Gotta love the wife comment!
Old 12-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Jason Zajac
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I just wish they were closer. Once this thing is done and swapped I want to find a GOOD tuner that will work out the driveability to be damn near stock.

I used New Era in Rochester for my BMW with a 6.0 LS and was not happy with the driveability and hot start. For the money I paid, the car shouldn't take twice to start when hot, and shouldn't stumble and die on the way home from the shop. Won't be going back there.
I know of a good tuner in WNY.

Wondering what is wrong with the place you dyno'd the car at??
Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason Zajac
I know of a good tuner in WNY.

Wondering what is wrong with the place you dyno'd the car at??
Never said there was an issue there, do you know something I don't?
Old 12-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

I used New Era in Rochester for my BMW with a 6.0 LS and was not happy with the driveability and hot start. For the money I paid, the car shouldn't take twice to start when hot, and shouldn't stumble and die on the way home from the shop. Won't be going back there.
That's the lay of the land these days, this is a dying hobby (modifying cars...unless its flash tunes and downpipes and intakes as we see on the newer tuner cars)... I see shops closing down left and right, I had one local tuner tell me he couldn't tune my C5 because of the vararam intake, and another shop wouldn't install my "internet brand" headers (which are LG's)... I hate to broad brush but this is kind of the white trash Olympics in a way.. I've had quotes for $12k to install a cat back and headers on my old Viper ... Typically when I call around to get pricing on parts, or install or what have you, I try to guess how long the persons mullet it is on the other end of the phone, or if they are wearing jean shorts and runners. Its the price we pay for modifying our trailer park Ferrari's as another C5 owner told me after his car ran worse after a dyno tuning day than it did when stock.

There are great shops out there, with talented people ... but they are few and far between. A lot of guys aren't even ticketed or journeyman mechanics, they just know lefty loosie and righty tighty on a wrench. Anyway I'm just being incredibly negative now

Last edited by Roddy13; 12-14-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Well that is very disappointing to hear. I want to do a manual LS swap into an SRX a few years down the road, and it seems like the things that shouldn't be a challenge might turn into one.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:12 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy13
That's the lay of the land these days, this is a dying hobby (modifying cars...unless its flash tunes and downpipes and intakes as we see on the newer tuner cars)... I see shops closing down left and right, I had one local tuner tell me he couldn't tune my C5 because of the vararam intake, and another shop wouldn't install my "internet brand" headers (which are LG's)... I hate to broad brush but this is kind of the white trash Olympics in a way.. I've had quotes for $12k to install a cat back and headers on my old Viper ... Typically when I call around to get pricing on parts, or install or what have you, I try to guess how long the persons mullet it is on the other end of the phone, or if they are wearing jean shorts and runners. Its the price we pay for modifying our trailer park Ferrari's as another C5 owner told me after his car ran worse after a dyno tuning day than it did when stock.

There are great shops out there, with talented people ... but they are few and far between. A lot of guys aren't even ticketed or journeyman mechanics, they just know lefty loosie and righty tighty on a wrench. Anyway I'm just being incredibly negative now

Your just being honest.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Being the typical realist, I did pick up a copy of HPTuners a few months ago and started tinkering around. I may just go for a mail order "base" tune for the 6.2 and fine tune it the rest of the way on my own.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:46 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

LQ4 E39?

iron block 5.3 or 4.8 with t56 will end up in my touring eventually
Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Yeah that's me. That car is still alive and kicking *** somewhere in the south (Carolinas)?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy13

I am a slow learner. And don't like to spend money. Still, I try to get good parts - and so far I have been able to do my own wrenching.
Which leads back to the reason I bought a C5. Being able to do my own work was a very big factor.
If I had bought a Porsche or BMW I am not sure it would have been as enjoyable in so many ways.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich

I am a slow learner. And don't like to spend money. Still, I try to get good parts - and so far I have been able to do my own wrenching.
Which leads back to the reason I bought a C5. Being able to do my own work was a very big factor.
If I had bought a Porsche or BMW I am not sure it would have been as enjoyable in so many ways.
They are nearly as easy to work on (at least anything before 2006 or so) - but the parts are more expensive and tend to fail more often. Can't remember the last time I worked on a BMW that didn't have an oily film covering the entire cradle and oil pan...

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: L92/LS3 6.2L swap into C5 FRC

Old 12-18-2017, 11:46 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

I haven't done squat on this since I've been busy with home projects but nobody is in here to hear about that.

The L92 uses a different mounting system for the Cadillac engine cover, so in order to mount the LS3 covers I bought, I had to pick up some of these mounting studs.

Looks at least a little more complete now.

Next up was stripping off other L92 specific stuff, like the truck balancer, front cover, and VVT components.

Removing the Jesus bolt actually wasn't that bad

A touch of heat to help the balancer expand (I don't think this did anything but it was fun.)

I dug my old 3 jaw puller out of the toolbox and found that whatever I used it on last didn't end well. Time to make up some new links.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/nogiba/, on Flickr

1 cutoff wheel, some time on the drill press, and 2 beers later, good as new.

Off came the balancer and timing cover to expose the VVT that will be getting deleted in favor of the traditional 3 bolt system.

That was as far as I made it for the evening - went inside and made an awesome lasagna.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

"The Jesus Bolt" LOL.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Jeeze, the outside of that engine looks rough. Now I feel better about my choice to coat all the exposed pieces of my engine.

What are you doing for cam/valvetrain?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: L92/LS3 6.2L swap into C5 FRC