Sponsored by:

C5 Led sequential front turn signal build

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:25 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by NebraskaTrevor
​​​​​​Wow, you make it sound so simple, I assure you it is not.
If your concern was separating out DRL, turn, and parking lights, I assure you, it was that easy

I know because I wired up separate DRL relays into the passenger footwell fusebox to run my own DRL setup. The DRL relays turn on with the car, and turn off with the parking lights and turn signals, just like OEM function.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:40 AM
NebraskaTrevor
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
If your concern was separating out DRL, turn, and parking lights, I assure you, it was that easy

I know because I wired up separate DRL relays into the passenger footwell fusebox to run my own DRL setup. The DRL relays turn on with the car, and turn off with the parking lights and turn signals, just like OEM function.
I have no need to get in a pissing match with you here.....but against my better judgment here goes anyhow. There is a bit more going on here than you describe. There is a micro computer with 5 different inputs....one of them attached to a wireless reciever mounted at the back of the car. I have over 20 channels of independent control, and the ability to execute just about any sequence that I care to program. If I could have done all of that "just by adding 2 wires" I would have. I modded my car years ago with white drl's and you are right it isn't that complicated, but this is not that, not even close. If you can pull all this off with 2 wires by all means do it and show the world how dumb I am. I will be the first to applaud you!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

I have no need to get in a pissing match with you here.....but against my better judgment here goes anyhow. There is a bit more going on here than you describe. There is a micro computer with 5 different inputs....one of them attached to a wireless reciever mounted at the back of the car. I have over 20 channels of independent control, and the ability to execute just about any sequence that I care to program. If I could have done all of that "just by adding 2 wires" I would have. I modded my car years ago with white drl's and you are right it isn't that complicated, but this is not that, not even close. If you can pull all this off with 2 wires by all means do it and show the world how dumb I am. I will be the first to applaud you!
Wow, it was not my intent to offend you. You mentioned that the GM wiring had DRL, turn, and parking in 3 wires (essentially 2 signal wires), and all I meant by my comment was that separating out the DRL could have been accomplished by modifying the DRL relays and running two additional wires from those. Then you would still have turn and parking wires on the stock harness, and have access to DRL, turn, and parking in the engine bay.

I'm not going to pretend to have a clue on what you did from microcontroller to LEDs (though I do have a pretty good idea), and you probably didn't want the microcontroller sitting in the engine bay anyways, hence ripping out half the interior.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Nebraska, I’ve seen some led’s added to the stock housings, but they were just adhered to the exterior. Not my way of doing things.
How did you take the housing apart and then reassemble it?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:05 AM
NebraskaTrevor
Instructor

Originally Posted by chasboy
Nebraska, I’ve seen some led’s added to the stock housings, but they were just adhered to the exterior. Not my way of doing things.
How did you take the housing apart and then reassemble it?
It was not very elegant, hence the lack of pictures. I basically used a dremel to slice open and to remove a large section on the back of the housing to allow me to insert the Drl strip as well as the turn signal strip. Once those were secured in place I closed up the back of the housings with a strip of ABS plastic and lots of hot glue. I was using Aftermarket light modification that are sealed with some type of solvent glue that has melted the front and back of the housing together into one, but the factory housings I removed appear to be made in the same way. Some lights are held together with a butyl adhesive that can be softened in the oven and then pried open but that is not the case with these.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:36 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Very well done. A bit retro-futuristic for me (reminds me of KITT car from the David Hasselhoff show), but pretty darn creative.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

It was not very elegant, hence the lack of pictures. I basically used a dremel to slice open and to remove a large section on the back of the housing to allow me to insert the Drl strip as well as the turn signal strip. Once those were secured in place I closed up the back of the housings with a strip of ABS plastic and lots of hot glue. I was using Aftermarket light modification that are sealed with some type of solvent glue that has melted the front and back of the housing together into one, but the factory housings I removed appear to be made in the same way. Some lights are held together with a butyl adhesive that can be softened in the oven and then pried open but that is not the case with these.
I’ve been trying to find a way to do this but without the headache of the sequentials, which I give you a for. Sort of a ‘ship in the bottle” approach, but the led strips sometimes have a mind of their own, coupled with the only fastening method is adhesive...so I’m still

Last edited by chasboy; 10-10-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Very cool!
From your brief overview, I can appreciate all the thought, planning, and effort that went into this. Congratulations on a job well done!
The following users liked this post:
NebraskaTrevor (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

sorry, there is zero chance of that. Not only were the lights themselves a ton of work to make, but they are nowhere near a plug and play application...as they would probably need to be in order to be marketable. I had to remove most of my interior, the console, the airbag and steering wheel, and the instrument cluster to complete the necessary wiring. There is just no way that somebody else is going to be willing to do all that, or if they are then they would likely just build a set themselves. Thanks for the interest though.
So freakin' cool.
I'm willing to drop my Vette off in Lincoln for the winter. You can do both the front and rear of my 02
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 PM
NebraskaTrevor
Instructor

Originally Posted by chasboy
I’ve been trying to find a way to do this but without the headache of the sequentials, which I give you a for. Sort of a ‘ship in the bottle” approach, but the led strips sometimes have a mind of their own, coupled with the only fastening method is adhesive...so I’m still
You are right the led strips are prone failure....I now test all of mine on a lab power supply for a min of 8 hrs at the exact voltage I will have in the car. My unscientific test have shown that if it is going to fail it is in the first couple hours. It sucks to cut the light all back apart to exchange a failed strip....ask me how I know! No worries about the adhesive, I have them running low enough on their current curve that even enclosed they barely exceed 100 deg f. Before this mod I ran del only strips....no fancy turn strip for about 3 years, the hot glue did well, even in the summer. You could also use an adhesive that sets, or cures rather than melting if you have long term concerns.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Beautiful, and to me a perfect type of modification. Almost factory looking but knocks your socks off with functionality. A sh**pot better than louvers on the taillights. Well done...knewblewkorvette...your car can be first behind mine
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Brackets
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Very well done. A bit retro-futuristic for me (reminds me of KITT car from the David Hasselhoff show), but pretty darn creative.
Ha, I thought exactly the same thing. Nightrider
NebraskaTrevor (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Since there's more than a few references to the KITT car, maybe you should make it talk to you now! All kidding aside, VERY nice work sir!

Last edited by CactusCat; 10-11-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:07 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

it is....I used a cob strip, and I also had to use a limiting device for the voltage to keep it at 11.7vdc which turns out to be the perfect voltage for good brightness along with long life by keeping it cool. Our cars regularly exceed 14.2 vdc at speeds above idle and the led strips just don't survive long at that voltage, especially when it is crammed in a sealed housing with out much chance of convection or air flow cooling it off. I found some adjustable voltage regulators on Amazon that work great. Anything from 12 to 24 vdc input gives me a perfect 11.7 vdc out to the lights.
Could you give me some advice on which voltage regulators to use? I have just replaced my taillights with LED's strips, the cheap kind from ebay. Love the look (see elsewhere on this esteemed forum), but I am a little concerned about voltages to these strip leds.

What did you use, and do you need one for each strip, or somehow regulate the overall feed voltage?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM
NebraskaTrevor
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndyDove
Could you give me some advice on which voltage regulators to use? I have just replaced my taillights with LED's strips, the cheap kind from ebay. Love the look (see elsewhere on this esteemed forum), but I am a little concerned about voltages to these strip leds.

What did you use, and do you need one for each strip, or somehow regulate the overall feed voltage?
Hi there. I used these....
Amazon Amazon

They are cheap and work very well. I adjusted mine to supply 11.7vdc to the entire white drl assembly as a whole. The other amber led chips used for the turn signals are some fancy little units that each have their own driver built in that can accept up to 18vdc so I did not do any regulation of the voltage to each of the amber elements. Any adjustable dc buck bust converter that can handle the required current should work well. The one that I provided the link to is a very nice, enclosed waterproof unit. Once I got the little trim pot set I sealed it with hot glue for waterproofing as well as to maintain the position of the trim pot.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Great, that was the one I was looking at anyway. Do you happen to know where I should fit this to supply a nominal regulated 12v to all four taillights? Presumably those wires come together somewhere...

Thanks!!
Andy
Old 10-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Great, that was the one I was looking at anyway. Do you happen to know where I should fit this to supply a nominal regulated 12v to all four taillights? Presumably those wires come together somewhere...

Thanks!!
Andy
For regular US spec cars, you should have one on each pair of taillights. Each pair is on a separate circuit for turn signal function.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Led sequential front turn signal build

Old 10-11-2017, 08:15 PM
AndyDove
Instructor

Thanks!!
Andy
I put a similar question out on Amazon, where I got my hyperflash unit, and asked whether the hyperflash also regulates the voltage and hence a regulator is not required. The answer can back affirmative - the HF regulates both flash speed and voltage. I'm not completely convinced about that, so I'll put a multimeter on this weekend, it's got me curious now.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:37 PM
NebraskaTrevor
Instructor

I put a similar question out on Amazon, where I got my hyperflash unit, and asked whether the hyperflash also regulates the voltage and hence a regulator is not required. The answer can back affirmative - the HF regulates both flash speed and voltage. I'm not completely convinced about that, so I'll put a multimeter on this weekend, it's got me curious now.
Yeah.....I don't agree with that at all. I built a hyperflash eliminating harness.....I even sold them years ago. It simply bypasses the factory flasher under the dash and replaces a chunk of the harness that runs thru an electronic flasher that works on a timer, rather than relying on current to heat a bi metallic element like the old flasher did. It will flash at the same speed irregardless of the load....if any placed on it. It does absolutely zero to affect the voltage supplied to it. You are going to see the same voltage at the tail lights with or without it.....as far as I can tell. Others will surely chime in if they know otherwise.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Nice work sir

Quick Reply: C5 Led sequential front turn signal build