Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Custom Seat Conversions for C5 and C6 Coming Soon!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default New Custom Seat Conversions for C5 and C6 Coming Soon!

We will be releasing soon our custom seat backs for C5 and C6 Corvettes. These will be ideal for people who don’t want to install a racing seat in their car but need better support for track days, other driving events or just spirited driving.

These will be direct replacement seat backs and will bolt to the oem bottom using the stock hardware. We eliminated the cable that allows the back to flop forward instantly but the seat back angle will still adjust from the factory lever.

We will begin work on the cover and these will be patterned to match C5 or C6 patterns. We will provide a matching cover for the stock bottom with each seat back and can add a sub belt opening if needed. We will post pictures later of how to install those. We will offer upholstery in simulated leather, real leather and suede as well. You will be able to choose your stitching color, as well as other options in the works.

The pictures below of the prototype are rather aggressive. We will also make these with a wider flare to the side bolsters for drivers who might find these too snug. If you had an air bag in your stock seat back, you will loose that, if that matters to you.

To help show what we mean by upholstery with stock patterns, you can see seats we did with a different back years ago below. We can do horizontal or vertical stitching and various panels widths as needed.

Any who are interested and would like to be kept up to date can email me directly, as I have started a folder of people to keep informed.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:59 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Let me clear up any possible confusion by the word seat "conversions" in the title. We do not use any oem components of the seat back so there will be no need to send us anything. You will be able to keep the entire stock back assembly in one piece with cover and convert back to stock at any time (such as when selling the car). Our back is a simple bolt on with the same two stock bolts that attach the oem back.

The reason I called it a conversion was to help people realize they will get to retain the stock tracks, bottom and seat belt system. I apologize for any confusion.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

So you would just be buying a new back? What is price range?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:48 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
So you would just be buying a new back? What is price range?
We will be making the complete back - custom tubular steel frame designed specifically to bolt to the oem bottom, foam and cover as well as a replacement cover for the stock bottom. With simulated leather upholstery pricing will start at $749 per seat. Suede inserts are expected to add about $100 and natural leather about $200 per seat and we will be able to confirm that after the cover patterning is complete.

Mark
Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by marrad
We eliminated the cable that allows the back to flop forward instantly but the seat back angle will still adjust from the factory lever.

Does this mean that we will not be able to tilt our seat backs forward to access the space behind our seats?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:34 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Pumba
Does this mean that we will not be able to tilt our seat backs forward to access the space behind our seats?
This seat back will not fold forward because the latch and cable behind the headrest is eliminated. The seat back angle however will still adjust with the handle on the side of the seat. So the most access you would have behind the seat would be sliding the seat all the way forward and tilting the back upward as far as the side lever allows.

We could design a second version that reuses the release cable and flips forward if there is enough demand. The customer would need to source and send us a cable and the plastic bezel that surrounds it behind the seat because they are color keyed to the color of the upholstery. It is getting harder to find many colors and the customer looses the option of simply swapping back to stock if he had to take components off his stock back for us to use.

Mark

Mark
Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

This seat back will not fold forward because the latch and cable behind the headrest is eliminated. The seat back angle however will still adjust with the handle on the side of the seat. So the most access you would have behind the seat would be sliding the seat all the way forward and tilting the back upward as far as the side lever allows.

We could design a second version that reuses the release cable and flips forward if there is enough demand. The customer would need to source and send us a cable and the plastic bezel that surrounds it behind the seat because they are color keyed to the color of the upholstery. It is getting harder to find many colors and the customer looses the option of simply swapping back to stock if he had to take components off his stock back for us to use.

Mark

Mark,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I would only be interested if I could have the cable release for my seat back. I have a 2002 Z06 with a black interior and would be willing to send you the seat back and/or the entire seat to achieve that functionality.

Last edited by Pumba; 10-20-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:57 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

The new bottom cover that will be included with our back can have a sub belt opening sewn in for those who need it. You would make a slit in the bottom foam that flaps would pull through and you could glue them to the underside of the foam cushion. You would also need to spread the center wires outward to allow enough space for the sub belt to pass. How or where you would attach the sub belt would be completely up to you, but we can help get the process started. Below are C6 pictures but the C5 would be similar.

Mark
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Are you located in Shelton?

Do you allow customers to drop off cars and then have you do the install for whatever product is ordered?

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 10-25-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
Are you located in Shelton?

Do you allow customers to drop off cars and then have you do the install for whatever product is ordered?
I use warehouse space in Shelton but do not install there. I work with various shops that produce different components in CT, MA and NY. Where are you located? You can email me directly if you prefer.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:33 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

The first test cover has been made and it fit pretty good. The upholstery factory will make some tweaks next week and make another cover. The first covers that will be made are the C6 black (ebony) in simulated leather. More updates will be coming soon.

Mark
Old 11-30-2017, 12:21 AM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The first test cover has been made and it fit pretty good. The upholstery factory will make some tweaks next week and make another cover. The first covers that will be made are the C6 black (ebony) in simulated leather. More updates will be coming soon.
Mark
Hows the progress Mark?
I'm looking to upgrade the seats in my red 01 Z06 to something more track friendly by spring.
Thx.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:04 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PeterC3
Hows the progress Mark?
I'm looking to upgrade the seats in my red 01 Z06 to something more track friendly by spring.
Thx.
I'll be visiting the upholstery factory next week and the cover revisions should be done. They are sewing a C6 sample first but once I confirm fitment I will start taking deposits for either C6 or C5 applications.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:35 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Marrad any products in the future for a thinner lower seat for us big guys (6'5)?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:37 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ASRoff
Marrad any products in the future for a thinner lower seat for us big guys (6'5)?
The seat in the write-up below is great for extra headroom. We plan to make a version with even larger lap belt holes that will allow the C5 belt with retractor to fit through in the near future.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eat-belts.html

You can see why the C5 belts are a problem and don't fit through the holes in any seat I know of in the picture below. There is a retractor at both top and bottom ends.

The following users liked this post:
ASRoff (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

The seat in the write-up below is great for extra headroom. We plan to make a version with even larger lap belt holes that will allow the C5 belt with retractor to fit through in the near future.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eat-belts.html

You can see why the C5 belts are a problem and don't fit through the holes in any seat I know of in the picture below. There is a retractor at both top and bottom ends.

very interested when you get the retractor issue worked out
Old 12-19-2017, 06:39 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

I should be ready to start taking deposits soon. I received a cover today that fit well everywhere except small puckers in the shoulders that need a little tweaking. The C5 back insert pattern will match the stock bottom.

Get notified of new replies

To New Custom Seat Conversions for C5 and C6 Coming Soon!

Old 01-20-2018, 11:32 PM
PeterC3
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Mark can one order a two color seat to resemble the original red and black C5 seat?
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PeterC3
Mark can one order a two color seat to resemble the original red and black C5 seat?
Yes. On the C5 we will also need to know if you want the standard or sport seat stitching pattern. I should be posting pricing on upholstery options next week.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

marrad, how about alcantara?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] New Custom Seat Conversions for C5 and C6 Coming Soon!