Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird headlight motor quirk

Old 10-14-2017, 11:10 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Weird headlight motor quirk

I hadn't used my headlights on my '02 Z in a while. Flipped them on this morning and one comes up and one doesn't. I popped the hood and cranked the non working one up manually. I went back and shut the headlights off and both came down. I turned them back on and both came up and then back down. With subsequent tries, they both now work perfectly. Have you ever had that happen??? Mine is a very pristine vehicle, too. 20k on the clock and mint condition.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
I hadn't used my headlights on my '02 Z in a while. Flipped them on this morning and one comes up and one doesn't. I popped the hood and cranked the non working one up manually. I went back and shut the headlights off and both came down. I turned them back on and both came up and then back down. With subsequent tries, they both now work perfectly. Have you ever had that happen??? Mine is a very pristine vehicle, too. 20k on the clock and mint condition.
I do not drive at night since my C5 is a day fun car. But some time ago I read a post that indicated the motor armatures need use and may keep the motor from working if not operated or a period of time. So now I 'exercise' them once a month.

NFL:
Old 10-14-2017, 02:42 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

That happens to me once or twice a year, usually at night when it raining and I'm out drinking. Every time I moved it a bit manually and it works fine for another year. I have taken no other action after seeing this 4-5 years now. My headlights were opening every time I started the car in the garage. I did program it to stop opening automatically to avoid wear on the plastic gear hardware.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:54 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
I do not drive at night since my C5 is a day fun car. But some time ago I read a post that indicated the motor armatures need use and may keep the motor from working if not operated or a period of time. So now I 'exercise' them once a month.

NFL:
Great idea. I hardly ever drive at night so I will start "exercising" them as well.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM
bonzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I just hope not driving at night is an age and sight thing, if not your missing the best time to drive. Roads are less crowded and its just a bunch of fun!! My headlights go up and down probably 5 times a day. Just me I guess
Old 10-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Red Square
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you ever had that happen??? Mine is a very pristine vehicle, too. 20k on the clock and mint condition.
Hell...I'm just happy to finally see someone spell pristine correctly on the forum!
; )
Old 10-16-2017, 03:10 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Square
Hell...I'm just happy to finally see someone spell pristine correctly on the forum!
; )
Not only we have to be PC, now we have to be SC. It never ends.
The following users liked this post:
CPO Rob (10-17-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

; )
Thank you! I went to college so I are smart, LOL!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:32 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by bonzo
I just hope not driving at night is an age and sight thing, if not your missing the best time to drive. Roads are less crowded and its just a bunch of fun!! My headlights go up and down probably 5 times a day. Just me I guess
No, I have no sight or age issues, just don't take the Vette out at night all that often. I am a bluebird day kind of guy, but will try it more based on your recommendation.

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 10-16-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:11 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

; )
Heh. I tend to side with you but seems like every time I correct someone's grammar or spelling, I get called the grammar police or worse. I see it so often.. there, their, they're - to, too, two - you get my drift. I cringe a little bit every time I see a sentence such as "There only 2 years old". Ouch... On the bright side, we humans know exactly what they meant to say, so I guess all is ok. For example:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Since I can read that pile o' crap, I guess one or two misspelled words aren't so bad after all. Gonna have to turn in my grammar Po-Po badge.

Last edited by CactusCat; 10-17-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:34 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

The headlight gremlin loves C5s that are not DD at night.

Also, the HCM is a POC. probably moisture., crappy solder or corrosion has invaded it and couple of cycles "fixed" it for now.

Last edited by UM Rebel; 10-17-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Red Square
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Heh. I tend to side with you but seems like every time I correct someone's grammar or spelling, I get called the grammar police or worse. I see it so often.. there, their, they're - to, too, two - you get my drift. I cringe a little bit every time I see a sentence such as "There only 2 years old". Ouch... On the bright side, we humans know exactly what they meant to say, so I guess all is ok. For example:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Since I can read that pile o' crap, I guess one or two misspelled words aren't so bad after all. Gonna have to turn in my grammar Po-Po badge.
To be fair, I didn't correct anyone....I complimented him/her on spelling correctly.
So essentially I am not the grammar police, I am the grammar give a pat on the back guy.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird headlight motor quirk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird headlight motor quirk