Sponsored by:

Discontinued parts - why i'll sell my c5 :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Thoughts? Are my concerns justified?

Nope, you live half a world away want parts for an American sports car and they must be readily available....must be CHEAP parts right now!?!? Who are you trying to kid? GM the BAD guy...gee's they don't stock a internal part for my radio??? Just have to post and let the world know my displeasure. Make sure you let the next prospective owner know the reason you are selling!!!

Last edited by El original; 10-17-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by El original

Nope, you live half a world away want parts for an American sports car and they must be readily available....must be CHEAP parts right now!?!? Who are you trying to kid? GM the BAD guy...gee's they don't stock a internal part for my radio??? Just have to post and let the world know my displeasure. Make sure you let the next prospective owner know the reason you are selling!!!
lol you must not have read the thread at all.

Location has absolutely nothing to do with the post I made. Weather i live in the USA or Japan or Australia, the parts I have mentioned are NOT available anywhere. All owners are forced to by expensive used parts IF they are available hoping that they will work. People are forking out huge time and money to change the entire breaking system as a result of one small part failure, because it is impossible to find it anywhere!

And i'm not the only one complaining about this. There are plenty of Americans posting complaints about discontinued EBCM,SWPS modules and IPC display issues that cannot be fixed without massive wiring reworks or relying on a scrap part.

Peace

Last edited by grasshopper645; 10-18-2017 at 12:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
So i've always been an avid corvette fan. Absolutely love the look of the C5. So much in fact that i'd love to keep it forever, run it into the ground, rebuild it, and repeat.

However, due to a number of discontinued parts in which alternatives/aftermarkets are not available makes it very difficult to continue owning it.

While discontinued parts is not exclusive to the C5, it seems to be the worst due to complicated electrical components that cannot be replicated by aftermaket suppliers.

This can result in a perfect car that cannot be driven, especially in countries where safety inspection requirements require the proper functioning of certain features such as 'easily displayable dash', abs etc etc.

Lets look at this realistically:
dash 'UV tube' bulb - if one blows, you have to fork out around 1k for a new IPC panel, which results in further problems such as the ODO now displaying incorrectly. They are also discontinued so you are relying on used ones pulled from wrecked C5s. They will only get harder to find.

HUD unit - these projected displays burn out over time. They are also discontinued so you are relying on used parts, which are becoming very difficult to find

EBCM and Steering position sensor - VERY difficult to find on the 97-00 C5's. being stuck without ABS is a complete annoyance as you have constant flashing warnings on the display, and no traction or active handling functionality.

While there are plenty of other discontinued parts, these seem to be the worst when it comes to being complicated electronic parts that cannot be easily copied or replaced with an alternative item.

Very disappointing in GM for not looking out for us over these serious issues.

First thought is, Car will still go down the road just fine without most of the stuff you listed. Have fun with it and don't worry about it.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 92 Posts

Exactly why these cars will never be worth restoring or collectable I think. When parts are unavailable to keep it going it's time for a fire and move on.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:43 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When my 99 starts having problems..off it goes. Then its C6 time...maybe one day C7 time. Went through hell with my 92, not doing that again.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:25 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by mfi
When my 99 starts having problems..off it goes. Then its C6 time...maybe one day C7 time. Went through hell with my 92, not doing that again.

The problem with this is the C5 won't be worth anything by then...
Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
First thought is, Car will still go down the road just fine without most of the stuff you listed. Have fun with it and don't worry about it.

I also wouldn't care if this stuff went out as far as driving the car goes, the problem comes when it's time to sell...it won't be worth squat...
CorvetteBrent (09-11-2018)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:30 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

At first this thread bummed me out a little. But then I thought about it... things could become a little but of a pain at times, but there are solutions available (to most of us, sorry OP I know things are different where you are). I love my car and I'll do what it takes to fix anything that needs fixing
msandym (09-09-2018)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Guess it's a good thing I have a new swps in the garage along with a complete hud cluster. I also have a set of mod red seat covers when my existing covers crap out. An extra hood and some other misc parts stored away like a complete black interior I pulled out when I went mod red. I only got into a Corvette in 2010 so parts are out there, just don't wait till you have to have something. I'm guessing when and if I decide to sell the extra parts I haven't used will help that process along quite well.

In addition to my 99 FRC I have a 99 Valkyrie which was only produced from 97 - 03 and considered by most owners as the best power cruiser Honda ever produced. Honda has stopped producing a lot of parts for it too but I stockpiled some parts for it too and believe it or not there is a "Valkyrie tax" on many parts whether used or new. It's all about attitude, some see the glass half empty (or less) and some see the glass half full.

Forgot to mention that mileage from a new replacement cluster is not a problem in that you can change a module from your old cluster and swap into the replacement and it will read correctly.

Last edited by f6john; 10-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by f6john:
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018), mister2 (02-02-2021), Sam Handwich (10-21-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by acuevo
At first this thread bummed me out a little. But then I thought about it... things could become a little but of a pain at times, but there are solutions available (to most of us, sorry OP I know things are different where you are). I love my car and I'll do what it takes to fix anything that needs fixing

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Having just purchased my C5 this year, I also have the same concerns. I also believe that when and if my BCM or ABSCM goes out, I'll get on Ebay and low and behold some place will have started offering a repair service. If there is a market, the market will respond (usually). Fingers crossed.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:54 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 814 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by mfi
Hear hear... For me I'll go back to the Carrera or Mustang... Both will support me... GM won't,... screw it... I'll leave them... but miss my C5 big time.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by twokbolt

Exactly! I've also been wondering if theres a way to repair the SWPS on pre 2001 models. I'd be willing to bet that its possible.
grasshopper645 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by acuevo
Exactly! I've also been wondering if theres a way to repair the SWPS on pre 2001 models. I'd be willing to bet that its possible.
If someone does then they will be able to afford a top spec c7 in no time

EDIT:
Interestingly enough there have already been at least 3 aftermarket manufacturers that have made SWPS for pre '01 C5s. Unfortunately they are all discontinued as well.

AIRTEX 5S6337

GM 26058286

CARQUEST 725004

WELLS SU7848

I guess this contradicts what i said and suggests there is no money in making this part. Guess we are all out of luck.

Carry on.

Last edited by grasshopper645; 10-18-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by grampi50
I also wouldn't care if this stuff went out as far as driving the car goes, the problem comes when it's time to sell...it won't be worth squat...
Why would you sell it?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Originally Posted by twokbolt

Zackly! Check this out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ol-module.html
Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
Wow!

Thats an amazing read

So i guess we have more discontinued parts for the list then.

Get notified of new replies

To Discontinued parts - why i'll sell my c5 :(

Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

All cars are like this lately. There is strong support for the old classic American cars but other than that manufactures are only required to provide parts until the extended warranty expires. Its as though they want you to have to purchase a brand new vehicle.

With a little research you can source or find ways to rebuild C5 parts though. I have done a near complete restoration on mine and haven't had that much of a problem despite.

Last edited by Rob 02; 10-19-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:45 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think the bankruptcy back in 2009 made the situation a little worse.

I've owned vehicles that were rare (500 in the country) and while it can be challenging it can be both fun and a big fat pain in the butt.

If you are not up to it...the. By all means sell the car now...

No shame isn't that...buy a c6 as parts are easier to come by. Like I said I believe the bankruptcy in 2009 added to what you are experiencing with your c5.

Fabulous car, a little extra challenges and your out. I can respect your decision...

I've been there 30 odd years ago with a low volume vehicle sold in the USA and it eventually motivated me to sell and move on..,

Nothing wrong with that logic....

Good luck...

Fwiw c5 s have impressively held their value while c6 s are still dropping. I don't imagine you'll be out too much money should you decide to buy a newer corvette
Old 10-19-2017, 06:41 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a little lucky with my 92. Did a fair amount of work to it mechanically and got lucky with a full paint job. Someone backed up into the hood and cracked it a little, bit it was enough for insurance to give me enough to replace it and with a little contribution from me, get it painted..the right way. But still sold it for a big loss compared to what i dumped into it. Sad. But I expected it. The 99 should be better as its in very good shape with low miles and no issues...yet.

Quick Reply: Discontinued parts - why i'll sell my c5 :(