Discontinued parts - why i'll sell my c5 :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
I agree, but auto makers should make exceptions (on their own, not forced by the gov) for certain vehicles. Corvettes aren't the typical run-of-the-mill cars. Most people who own them treat them more like exotics than daily drivers, that's why these car tend to be around a lot longer than say your typical sedan, SUV, or minivan. Knowing this, it would actually be good business for GM to keep parts available, even if they lose money doing it...

Even some Corvette owners just see their car as transportation or a disposable vehicle. Others see it as a race car and have the money to buy one and set about tearing it up as fast as possible. But Corvette is "unique" in that it has arguably the largest constituency of ongoing enthusiasts that see it as FAR MORE than what other vehicle owners experience - something NADA Book values don't really reflect accurately! Most vehicles on the street go relatively unnoticed - some are big, some are loud, most are boring at best and ugly at worst. If I just wanted transportation or practicality I would buy a Jeep and blend in!

The Corvette's uniqueness is apparent everywhere, in the mass gatherings all over the country, the huge participation in forums such as this and in the fact that you rarely see even an old Corvette driving around with dust on it, and I would venture that it is the leader in its price range of cars that people buy and rarely drive! To many, the Corvette represents far more than just a vehicle with a 3rd party book price - to those it is an engineering marvel that can capture someone's imagination and admiration even if it won't start! No American car has ever been parked out in the far reaches of parking lots more or had more time spent on it applying that 32nd coat of Zaino than the Corvette.

I argue that one of the biggest sales tools that Corvette has, is the fact that the vast majority of owners spend so much time maintaining their car in top fashion - some more time than driving them. Even when you see a red C2 driving down the street, 9 times of of 10 it is immaculate! That "sticks" in peoples minds - new and old - that the Corvette is more than just a "car" to most who own it. I can't count how many C6's and C7's I have sold because I keep my C5 looking and running like the day it rolled off the showroom floor. That also instills in new owners that these cars are built not just to stare at for hours on end, but that they can represent an investment unlike most other disposable vehicles. Just look at how many people on this forum own multiple generations of Corvettes - I have owned as many as 3 at a time.

One of the reasons I have not purchased a C7 to go along with my C5 is because I see how GM is not properly supporting the C5 IMO with parts. If I am going to spend C7 money I expect it to be supported many years after the warranty has expired - if not, I will just buy something cheap and throw it away every few years. I am not going to invest the hundreds of hours of my time that I traditionally do in maintaining my Corvettes to end up with a half-assed boat anchor because I can't get a part replaced.

Last edited by Choreo; 10-21-2017 at 02:18 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Choreo:
63Corvette (09-10-2018), CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018), friou (10-23-2017), Navy Blue 210 (09-16-2018)
Old 10-21-2017, 02:59 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
It would be nice, but auto makers are in business to make money and they want you to buy new cars and helping you keep your old one running forever hurts business.
The Corvette. It is what it is. You have to accept it or move on.
Like I said, it would be good for business, even if it meant they'd lose money doing it. Think of the brand loyalty that would come from it. Would you be more or less apt to be a repeat buyer if you knew parts support would be provided indefinitely?

Last edited by grampi50; 10-21-2017 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018)
Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo

Even some Corvette owners just see their car as transportation or a disposable vehicle. Others see it as a race car and have the money to buy one and set about tearing it up as fast as possible. But Corvette is "unique" in that it has arguably the largest constituency of ongoing enthusiasts that see it as FAR MORE than what other vehicle owners experience - something NADA Book values don't really reflect accurately! Most vehicles on the street go relatively unnoticed - some are big, some are loud, most are boring at best and ugly at worst. If I just wanted transportation or practicality I would buy a Jeep and blend in!

The Corvette's uniqueness is apparent everywhere, in the mass gatherings all over the country, the huge participation in forums such as this and in the fact that you rarely see even an old Corvette driving around with dust on it, and I would venture that it is the leader in its price range of cars that people buy and rarely drive! To many, the Corvette represents far more than just a vehicle with a 3rd party book price - to those it is an engineering marvel that can capture someone's imagination and admiration even if it won't start! No American car has ever been parked out in the far reaches of parking lots more or had more time spent on it applying that 32nd coat of Zaino than the Corvette.

I argue that one of the biggest sales tools that Corvette has, is the fact that the vast majority of owners spend so much time maintaining their car in top fashion - some more time than driving them. Even when you see a red C2 driving down the street, 9 times of of 10 it is immaculate! That "sticks" in peoples minds - new and old - that the Corvette is more than just a "car" to most who own it. I can't count how many C6's and C7's I have sold because I keep my C5 looking and running like the day it rolled off the showroom floor. That also instills in new owners that these cars are built not just to stare at for hours on end, but that they can represent an investment unlike most other disposable vehicles. Just look at how many people on this forum own multiple generations of Corvettes - I have owned as many as 3 at a time.

One of the reasons I have not purchased a C7 to go along with my C5 is because I see how GM is not properly supporting the C5 IMO with parts. If I am going to spend C7 money I expect it to be supported many years after the warranty has expired - if not, I will just buy something cheap and throw it away every few years. I am not going to invest the hundreds of hours of my time that I traditionally do in maintaining my Corvettes to end up with a half-assed boat anchor because I can't get a part replaced.
Bingo! You nailed it!
The following 3 users liked this post by grampi50:
Choreo (10-21-2017), CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018), mister2 (02-02-2021)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
True you can switch from mph to kph, but the export c5's (which mine is) have metric units. eg, the speed goes up to '300' instead of '200', temp shows in degrees celcius instead of fahrenheit, and the oil pressure is in kilopascals instead of pounds. Not trying to be a dick or anything but its more complicated then you make it out to be. Also altered odomoter readings is illegal in New zealand

True, but in my case it is burnt out

Also the SWPS is very expensive.
So sorry.
I am not sure if all New Zealanders have a similar attitude when ASKING others for help.
I couldn't find the "little violin emoji".
So, good luck with your next car.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Not being able to have a monopoly is bad for business too. Consumer protections are in place for a reason.

If it renders a product disabled/useless and they're not making it available for sale, then yes, they should.
Well, consider that GM filed bankruptcy and got that mega-bailout from the US taxpayer. So who is the real owner of all those intellectual property assets and information that old-GM owned?
I am not a lawyer, but seems to me that this is totally do-able.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sam Handwich:
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018), Navy Blue 210 (09-16-2018)
Old 10-22-2017, 03:42 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

People need to quit buying new cars that are throw away junk.
We live too much in a throw away society. Our economy is sick if it depends too heavily on this.
Why buy throw away crap? A fool and his money are soon departed.
If their business model relies on greed, ripping people off then they deserve to fail.
GM can still make money by licensing out the rights to make parts.

Last edited by Rob 02; 10-22-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Navy Blue 210 (09-16-2018)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

The EBCMs and SWPS sensors will eventually no longer be an issue. A member successfully adapted the 01-04 style to a pre 01 car with no issues. As soon as a vendor works out a "kit" - and there's a high chance it will happen - they stand to make a tremendous amount of money without even actually selling EBCMs or SWPSes.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:40 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
People need to quit buying new cars that are throw away junk.
We live too much in a throw away society. Our economy is sick if it depends too heavily on this.
Why buy throw away crap? A fool and his money are soon departed.
If their business model relies on greed, ripping people off then they deserve to fail.
GM can still make money by licensing out the rights to make parts.
How long would companies be in business if their products lasted forever?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:59 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

if parts scare the OP that much , he should just buy a generic bike from wal-mart and use that from point a to point b...at least parts will be around for him..lol...i would never let parts scare me away from buying a car..makes it part of the fun owning one
Old 10-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

They can make money off parts and repairs Just like they always did in the past.
Who wants to buy a useless irreparable used car? If people get wise to this throw away concept then resale value of new cars will go to crap.
Then who wants a new car with no resale value?
The current business model is not sustainable. It that is how the car companies want to treat its customers then they are setting themselves up for failure.

This is the kind of thing that could end the Corvette program and long term customer loyalty. Do you want to lay down $60,000+ for something that will be a brick in a few years?

I fix my car and learned how to source parts (aftermarket and salvage). If I had to rely on GM support then I couldn't drive this car.

They used law to stimulate sales but at the expense of a long term consequence unless something changes soon. Personally, I think there is a liberal movement toward electric cars and infrastructure to support them. I digress.

Last edited by Rob 02; 10-22-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have purchased 14 high end Apple Computers, 5 high end Canon DSLRs and the list goes on. I have never had a single Apple or Canon product fail (knock on wood). The reason I buy new equipment is because it adds a feature that makes it worth it for me to upgrade. Conversely, I have purchased high end Xerox, Tektronix, and Epson printers and all failed within 3 years and I was not able to get replacement parts - I no longer purchase any printers from those companies as a result.
The following 2 users liked this post by Choreo:
CorvetteBrent (07-09-2018), midnight01 (09-10-2018)
Old 10-22-2017, 05:27 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Choreo
I have purchased 14 high end Apple Computers, 5 high end Canon DSLRs and the list goes on. I have never had a single Apple or Canon product fail (knock on wood). The reason I buy new equipment is because it adds a feature that makes it worth it for me to upgrade. Conversely, I have purchased high end Xerox, Tektronix, and Epson printers and all failed within 3 years and I was not able to get replacement parts - I no longer purchase any printers from those companies as a result.
Good for you. If my 66 Mustang hadn't worn out and wasted away I would still be driving it every day. I would not have bought all the new cars over the years.

Last edited by JR-01; 10-22-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Good for you. If my 66 Mustang hadn't worn out and wasted away I would still be driving it every day. I would not have bought all the new cars over the years.
Yet you can still get parts for it and Ford didn't go **** up over it.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:07 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Yet you can still get parts for it and Ford didn't go **** up over it.
That car has long turned into dust. There really aren't many parts that Ford still has in stock. You can get just about anything aftermarket, though.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

We could use more aftermarket support. That may happen if history repeats itself.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

My Toyota is 22 years old and has 172,000 miles. I can still get any parts for it from the Toyota dealer. My only worry is that Toyota might go out of business tomorrow.

Last edited by laurent_zo6; 10-22-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:52 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

^And if your sympathetic to these corporations then you have acquired Stockholm syndrome.
Navy Blue 210 (09-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Discontinued parts - why i'll sell my c5 :(

Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

^And if your sympathetic to these corporations then you have acquired Stockholm syndrome.
I worked for a corporation that built products that eventually wear out and become obsolete. We did not supply replacement parts after 20 years. Everything I own was bought with money I earned from that corporation and it paid me enough to retire at 57. Had we built products that lasted forever that would have never happened.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

''Since the average age of a male at death is 79 (USA) I plan on owning mine another 29 years Hopefully VetteNuts is still around until then ''... thanks , for the info i'm 78 1/2 !!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:16 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
Try find me a EBCM or SWPS for 97-00 c5. If your lucky, you might find a used one with no warranty for around 1k.
Reason #1 of why I bought an '01+

I decided to not get one with HUD and ended up getting as base as I could find to limit the number of breakages.

But I also drive my car well within spec, so the nannies don't really come into play. I could drive as usual without ABS or traction control, but it is nice knowing they are there.

Quick Reply: Discontinued parts - why i'll sell my c5 :(