wicked disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Summiz
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wicked disappointed

hey all,
Much to my extreme chagrin, after only a handful of times driving my 03 Z06, where it seemed to shift fine, it has become evident that the transmission will need a rebuild. This prognosis was preliminarily from my new amigo corvetteforum.com member Josh, and then subsequently Buyavette. It grinds into second and reverse pops out. 4th is a bit sketchy as well. I got an estimate of $2700, which will take me a few months to scrounge. That all being said, my question is- is it better to limp it around once a week to try to keep everything circulating or no? What is the best way to preserve the tires/batter/fuel stability when its going to sit for 2-3 months?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:59 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Bummer about the trans

Letting it sit for several months won't hurt anything, just put a tender on the battery so it doesn't die...
Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Sorry to hear about the tranny.

For storage, I recommend the following
1) Full tank of gas (minimum) add fuel stabilizer (recommended)
2) Battery on a tender
3) Change oil (my preference)
4) Park on carpet squares (my preference)
5) Chock wheels and put tranny in neutral and parking brake off ( my preference).
6) Clean interior and exterior so when you're ready to drive the car again it looks ready too.
7) Place fabric softener dryer sheets in the interior and around battery / fuse box if worried about mice.
8) Maybe a container of Damp Rid inside the cabin if it will be humid.
9) Leave the car off until ready to drive again
10) Put note on dash reminding yourself there is a battery tender attached and wheels are chocked.
​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by 3sACROWD:
iAmGeranimo (11-09-2017), kawtipin (11-06-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Red Square
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sorry to hear it.
The guys at Buyavette are pretty professional and honorable...they service my car. If it is just a shifter adjustment I'll be very shocked.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:32 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD

2) Battery on a tender
5) Chock wheels and put tranny in neutral and parking brake off ( my preference).
6) Clean interior and exterior so when you're ready to drive the car again it looks ready too.
7) Place fabric softener dryer sheets in the interior and around battery / fuse box if worried about mice.
10) Put note on dash reminding yourself there is a battery tender attached and wheels are chocked.
​​​​

I take my battery out and store it in the basement on a tender. A battery can go bad at any time and a dead battery will freeze, possibly cracking the case.
I also use moth ***** in the cabin and engine compartment. Stinks for a day or two in the spring, but mice damage can get expensive.
And I shove some stainless steel pot scrubbers up the tail pipes to keep vermin out.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD

2) Battery on a tender
​​​​
This pretty much covers it if you will be leaving the car in the garage for an extended period of time. Along with the fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, you might want to take the opportunity to add a bottle of Techron when you fill the tank up.

Also, if you have a cover for the car, go ahead and place it on the car to keep the dust off the surface.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:19 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Summiz
hey all,
Much to my extreme chagrin, after only a handful of times driving my 03 Z06, where it seemed to shift fine, it has become evident that the transmission will need a rebuild. This prognosis was preliminarily from my new amigo corvetteforum.com member Josh, and then subsequently Buyavette. It grinds into second and reverse pops out. 4th is a bit sketchy as well. I got an estimate of $2700, which will take me a few months to scrounge. That all being said, my question is- is it better to limp it around once a week to try to keep everything circulating or no? What is the best way to preserve the tires/batter/fuel stability when its going to sit for 2-3 months?
Before dropping $2700, read this thread and see if you can contact the OP there. He seemed to be experiencing similar issues but was able to resolve his. Hard to say, but might be worth your time.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ems-fixed.html
Old 10-26-2017, 05:09 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I rebuilt mine in my 03 20Kmiles ago. If you wrench yourself, you could save yourself a lot of money.

I bought this kit:
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/t56-...d-kit-package/

and did the work myself. You will need a press to press the bearings on and off. Other than that removal was the most time consuming. Other than that, it wasn't hard. Go ahead and replace the clutch while you're in there.

Last edited by lane_viper; 10-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 PM
ehillard0
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

hey all,

My shifter was slipping out of 1st, and grinding going into 4th. Take it for whats it's worth, but after I adjusted my shifter, and installed a new transmission mount all my grinding issue when away. It really made a night and day difference. Might be worth a shot?
Old 10-26-2017, 05:26 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

ProMotion powertrain can rebuild starting at 375. Have to remove the trans and ship it to them though.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:43 PM
luffy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What about purchasing a complete replacement and then maybe a kit to rebuild your own.

1999 -2004 Corvette T56 transmission,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission...nt=app_android

Price: $ 1,500

Something like this would allow you to continue driving your car, then while the transmission is out, you could take your time rebuilding it. Once complete, install it and sell the "temp" tranny for about the same as what you paid.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:56 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Square
I'm sorry to hear it.
The guys at Buyavette are pretty professional and honorable...they service my car. If it is just a shifter adjustment I'll be very shocked.
I'm starting to work at buyavette this Monday in the service dept.
I just finished my own rebuild on my Z, so when I heard the symptoms I knew right away it needed a rebuild.

To answer you question, you can still drive the car sparingly but know that each time the gear grinds as the collar is slipping into position (the syncro not doing its job) you're putting major wear at the engagement point between the gear and the collar/slider.

I had to replace my 2nd gear and collar and those parts alone cost me $710. I also replace all the bearings, syncros, pads and keys. $1400 total and that wasn't counting labor which was free.

Basic rebuilds don't always include bearings. I'd ask about that. Should add $200+ depending on brand.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Summiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ehillard0
My shifter was slipping out of 1st, and grinding going into 4th. Take it for whats it's worth, but after I adjusted my shifter, and installed a new transmission mount all my grinding issue when away. It really made a night and day difference. Might be worth a shot?
ehillard0 I am going to do the shifter adjustment, its worth a shot. Was that an EOM mount? I've read some stories of aftermarket/poly mounts creating a lot more NVH (obviously that's the case with any bushing/mount) and I'm not sure I want any additional NVH from my transmission...
Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Summiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~Josh
I just finished my own rebuild on my Z, so when I heard the symptoms I knew right away it needed a rebuild.

To answer you question, you can still drive the car sparingly but know that each time the gear grinds as the collar is slipping into position (the syncro not doing its job) you're putting major wear at the engagement point between the gear and the collar/slider.

I had to replace my 2nd gear and collar and those parts alone cost me $710. I also replace all the bearings, syncros, pads and keys. $1400 total and that wasn't counting labor which was free.

Basic rebuilds don't always include bearings. I'd ask about that. Should add $200+ depending on brand.

Dang I may have spoken to you then! I called this morning to cancel my apt

I appreciate the info Josh. As the days go by the idea of doing it myself seems to get more and more attractive. I'll start to gather info and see if its something I can manage. I've read about the rebuild manual out there for these transmissions, is that guidance you'd recommend?
Old 10-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Summiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by luffy
What about purchasing a complete replacement and then maybe a kit to rebuild your own.

1999 -2004 Corvette T56 transmission,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission...nt=app_android

Price: $ 1,500

Something like this would allow you to continue driving your car, then while the transmission is out, you could take your time rebuilding it. Once complete, install it and sell the "temp" tranny for about the same as what you paid.

I appreciate the input Luffy, Its good to know all options.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Summiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by lane_viper
I rebuilt mine in my 03 20Kmiles ago. If you wrench yourself, you could save yourself a lot of money.

I bought this kit:
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/t56-...d-kit-package/

and did the work myself. You will need a press to press the bearings on and off. Other than that removal was the most time consuming. Other than that, it wasn't hard. Go ahead and replace the clutch while you're in there.
lane viper thanks for that info! I've heard so much about shop rebuilds and whether they include bearings or synchros so its good to see a complete kit.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Summiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~Josh

OH and congrats on the new gig man! sorry I didn't say that sooner.

I am probably in major denial and grasping at anything that could work

Get notified of new replies

To wicked disappointed

Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 PM
ehillard0
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

ehillard0 I am going to do the shifter adjustment, its worth a shot. Was that an EOM mount? I've read some stories of aftermarket/poly mounts creating a lot more NVH (obviously that's the case with any bushing/mount) and I'm not sure I want any additional NVH from my transmission...
No, it was not the OEM mount. I used the Hinson poly mount for the transmission, which made a huge difference IMO. I really can't comment on the additional NVH from just the transmission mount, as I also have solid motor mounts.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:11 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

FWIW, I have been reading and hearing more about the trannies in the Zs as compared to the non-Z models. I'm assuming the two have different trannies, and I'm wondering why the Z tranny seems to be more trouble prone...
Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

No, same gear box, different ratios are the only changes. The Z is used/enjoyed more aggressively (because even off the track they are snappier and more fun than a base C5, hard to resist) which in turn uses up synchros, etc...

Quick Reply: wicked disappointed