Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on removing some previous owner mods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:43 PM
JuggernautOfWar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on removing some previous owner mods?

I just bought a 2004 C5 and couldn't be happier. There are a few small cosmetic modifications the previous owner had made that I'm not 100% sure about though.

First, and probably most controversial, the previous owner apparently wanted a Z06 because he installed Z06 vents on the car in front of the rear wheels. As far as I know, these vents are exclusive to the Z06s so I feel a bit like a poser driving around with Z06 vents on a targa top model. Do you recommend taking these vents out? If so, how in the world do I do so without damaging the paint/clear coat?

Second, there are smoked taillight covers, not actual lenses, on the rear of the car. This is where I'm really conflicted because I do quite like the blacked-out aesthetic on this car, but I also feel like I should get actual black taillight lenses instead of just these smoked covers bolted on. Another issue I have is that the smoked taillight covers don't match the center brake light nor the rear quarter reflectors which are all the stock red.

Third, can you help me identify what lights are on the front of my car? They definitely don't look stock to me, and I'd like to know what I've got here. Images for all this follows.

Name:  YEPmz73m.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  14.5 KB
Name:  hlnUse3m.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  12.7 KB
Name:  gMlLKo8m.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  25.5 KB

Last edited by JuggernautOfWar; 10-30-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

This is how I feel about your mods. I like them. Now , for you if
you don't like mods, that's ok. It really not much of a mod, as far
as I am concerned.
This is the truth some guys are hot roder's and some are not.
Good luck.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

You need to determine if the previous owner installed "real" Z06 brake cooling vents. If so he may have cut out the actual body panels to make them functional. If you can determine that there are no physical cutouts behind the vents then its likely he installed the fake vents. These are probably held on by double sided tape. You can take a heat gun (low) or hair dryer and prying away the duct. Work slow.

Your call on the rear lights if blackended is to your liking.

The headlights look like ACA lenses, but unable to tell whether they just have halogen bulbs in the low beams or are actually HID's. You need to trace the headlight wiring back from the low beam bulb and see if the the wires go to a ballast mounted somewhere in the general area of the headlights. The fogs are standard equipment with that model, again if they have been modded to HID fogs, they will have a ballast associated with each bulb somewhere. The light color on both the low beams and fogs has a yellowish tinting that might mean they are standard halogen bulbs, but you can't always tell from a picture.

Welcome to forum, ton's of good information and advice here.

Good luck with your new Corvette and good times getting to look and perform like you want it too

Last edited by MAC5; 10-30-2017 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

make it yours thats hot rodding- who cares what anyone else thinks.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:28 PM
vetintheblood
Burning Brakes

Location: Beavercreek Ohio Currently own: 1958 Silver Blue Corvette
Received 751 Likes on 252 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome to Corvette ownership! Re: the Z06 vents, you're right it's like a poser - you gotta get rid if them!

I recommend getting the stock lenses, the smoked taillight covers are really unsafe! You don't want to get rear-ended!

Good Luck
ArmchairArchitect (10-31-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

I personally Like the Z06 vents.

The taillight covers are your preference. I personally like the contrast of the red on black, but some people like the murdered out look.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:42 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

If the vents are functional I would not consider it posing. I would consider it an upgrade. Nothing wrong with that.
BTW, I have a Z06.
Roddy13 (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle
If the vents are functional I would not consider it posing. I would consider it an upgrade. Nothing wrong with that.
BTW, I have a Z06.

If it's functional, it's not posing.

If you want black lenses, I would highly recommend the LED halo taillights from Radioflyer. He can black out the lenses for you.

If your headlights (which are called ACA) have halogens and/or lack bi-xenon function, you can get a bracket from Lightwerkz and install Mini H1 7.0s. I would not get rid of them, they are a major upgrade to the lighting of a C5. The stock lighting is extremely poor. If you want to keep a stockish look while having good lighting, you can get the Euro headlights.
JuggernautOfWar (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 07:47 PM
JuggernautOfWar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi

If it's functional, it's not posing.

If you want black lenses, I would highly recommend the LED halo taillights from Radioflyer. He can black out the lenses for you.

If your headlights (which are called ACA) have halogens and/or lack bi-xenon function, you can get a bracket from Lightwerkz and install Mini H1 7.0s. I would not get rid of them, they are a major upgrade to the lighting of a C5. The stock lighting is extremely poor. If you want to keep a stockish look while having good lighting, you can get the Euro headlights.
Thanks for the advice! I'm like 80% sure my headlights are standard halogen bulbs in a custom housing, which is apparently called ACA. So what makes the ACA headlights superior to the stock factory headlights if they are both halogen?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JuggernautOfWar
I just bought a 2004 C5 and couldn't be happier. There are a few small cosmetic modifications the previous owner had made that I'm not 100% sure about though.

First, and probably most controversial, the previous owner apparently wanted a Z06 because he installed Z06 vents on the car in front of the rear wheels. As far as I know, these vents are exclusive to the Z06s so I feel a bit like a poser driving around with Z06 vents on a targa top model. Do you recommend taking these vents out? If so, how in the world do I do so without damaging the paint/clear coat?

Second, there are smoked taillight covers, not actual lenses, on the rear of the car. This is where I'm really conflicted because I do quite like the blacked-out aesthetic on this car, but I also feel like I should get actual black taillight lenses instead of just these smoked covers bolted on. Another issue I have is that the smoked taillight covers don't match the center brake light nor the rear quarter reflectors which are all the stock red.

Third, can you help me identify what lights are on the front of my car? They definitely don't look stock to me, and I'd like to know what I've got here. Images for all this follows.

Its your car now, So make it your car. You know what you like and what you don't. I will not come on here and ask what everyone thinks about what i plan to do to my car

Last edited by Fcar 98; 10-30-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

With a standard halogen bulb, the projectors simply put out a better light pattern. The OEM reflectors were quite crappy in design. Now, if you put in Morimoto Mini H1 7.0s with 55 watt HIDs, you would have one of the best lighting setups available.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 PM
deejbee
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have those black taillight covers/3rd brake light/reverse light covers on our Vette. I was going to take them off but after driving behind the car when we took it to storage last year I left them on. They look good.

We have LED taillights (not bulbs but the whole assembly) under them so they are really bright, and not a safety concern at all. My only worry is getting pulled over but it hasn't happened yet. If your taillights are not bright under those covers, I would take them off because of the liability if you get rear-ended. ("I couldn't see his brake lights!")
Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not one for adding stuff that doesn't belong or gotti accessories, however being all black like this I think everything looks tasteful and I wouldn't do a thing to it
Old 10-30-2017, 08:53 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I'd change the wheels, but its not my car.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 PM
jpm995
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

I like the mods, i would keep them. If their more functional, you have a better car. Who cares what others think?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexybird
I'm not one for adding stuff that doesn't belong or gotti accessories, however being all black like this I think everything looks tasteful and I wouldn't do a thing to it
spell-check police here

the word you mean is probably "gaudy"

"gotti" is like that gangster John Gotti; sort of a different look.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:42 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the Forum!
As you will see, we all have our own opinions but ultimately you'll have to decide what you like. And, what you like today, might change next year, too.
As for my $.02:
If the brake vents are functional, great, leave them and direct more air to the rear brakes. I would agree with seattle and Tsumi, if they are functional you are not posing. If they are not functional and you want to take them off, MAC5 gave some good insight.
For the smoked tail light covers, I'm not a fan unless you have good LED bulbs. As vetintheblood and deejbee pointed out you don't want to get rear ended. Also, in some states, it's illegal to tint any of the required running/safety lights.
MAC5 and tsumi also addressed your headlights. I agree that they appear to be the ACA housing which when properly set up will give you phenomenal night time lighting. Even with regular halogen bulbs they will still probably project better than the factory lights. If you do not like them and decide to sell your headlights, I feel comfortable in saying they should sell very easily (if priced properly).
And ~Josh addressed your wheels. Many like black wheels on a black Vette but others prefer chrome, polished aluminum, or even a satin finish aluminum.
Again, it's your car and it should be tailored to your preferences. While we all have opinions, and personal preferences, I believe we all respect that it's your car, and is "tailored" to your individual taste. Something apparently made you chose this car over others you have looked at, so it may be hitting a lot of your "likes" to start with.
Happy motoring in "your" Corvette!
JuggernautOfWar (10-31-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on removing some previous owner mods?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,281 Likes on 13,959 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If the rear brake ducts are functional, might as well keep them - they work and you would have an expensive repair filling in the hole that was cut in the rocker panel. Besides, I like them and do not consider them as being a poser. I installed them on my '00 coupe.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:01 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
spell-check police here

the word you mean is probably "gaudy"

"gotti" is like that gangster John Gotti; sort of a different look.
Gotti had no idea his family would have a reality show, and it was gaudy.

If Gotti was alive do you think he'd let his kid that shared his namesake leave the house like this?

The Gotti name (for what it stands for) starts and ends with Gotti Sr.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:59 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome noobie!

BSM’s are easy to remove...

frank

Quick Reply: Thoughts on removing some previous owner mods?