Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7Carbon | Rear Diffuser Race Edition for C5 | 3D DESIGN in development, chime in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM
clinthart2003
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Volk2142
This looks a lot better than the first render, more sleek and not bulky. It would be even better if it covered the underneath as well so that our pocket of a rear bumper wont be so harsh.
The bottom panel that bridges the exhaust opening seems a bit narrow. Not sure my exhaust would fit that opening. Stylistically it looks good, but it may be kind of narrow functionally. Would you have an option to simply extend straight across?
The following users liked this post:
C7 Carbon (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:36 PM
C7 Carbon
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 313 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by clinthart2003
The bottom panel that bridges the exhaust opening seems a bit narrow. Not sure my exhaust would fit that opening. Stylistically it looks good, but it may be kind of narrow functionally. Would you have an option to simply extend straight across?
There can definitely be more changes made to the diffuser as the final prototype is yet to be fully developed. We'll make sure to share these notes with our development team.
Sorry again for the wait everyone, we are trying to finish out this project as soon as possible. We'll post updates as soon as more info is available.

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Volk2142
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by clinthart2003
Yeah, I didn't think about how narrow it is and which exhaust tips could work with it Haha but I didn't think about it because my exhaust dumps right behind the rear tires
Old 04-22-2018, 08:05 AM
clinthart2003
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Volk2142
This looks a lot better than the first render, more sleek and not bulky. It would be even better if it covered the underneath as well so that our pocket of a rear bumper wont be so harsh.
idea for you.... take that bottom panel and flip it. have it extend down rather than up into the port area. As long as that ******* thing isn't making lift LOL!!!!! we need downforce, not lift. So, angle it up like a wing from the inside of the car upwards to the exit. :-)

PS. Hurry the hell up and build me one!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 AM
DriveHard
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates?

I like the updated version but have the same concern as many... Will my current tips for that slot? Also agree with the fact functionality needs to be seriously considered and tested. A purely cosmetic piece is garbage in the end. It definitely needs to extend forward to reduce the air entering the rear valance.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:13 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

It looks pretty, and calling it a race version is probably a misnomer.
It's unlikely any useful downforce will result from that design.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:31 PM
C7 Carbon

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, we are taking notes!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM
A-Tak
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Any updates on this?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:25 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by A-Tak
Any updates on this?
Right? F it. i have the splitter and side skirts... might as well complete the set haha
Old 08-07-2018, 05:07 PM
C7 Carbon

Thanks for the follow up, our team is still working on the prototype unit, but we'll make sure to post some pics of it installed on the C5 as soon as possible. Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 PM
A-Tak
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
Right? F it. i have the splitter and side skirts... might as well complete the set haha
Haha I like the cut of your jib. And thanks for the response C7. The anticipation is eating me up inside.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 PM
ChargedV90
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 Carbon
Thanks for the follow up, our team is still working on the prototype unit, but we'll make sure to post some pics of it installed on the C5 as soon as possible. Thanks again!
Hey there, thanks for giving us some more modern options for body and aero panels for the C5.

If my input helps at all, here it is.

First of all, as mentioned, it has GOT to be functional. Whatever design compromises you have to make to do that than do it.

Second, if it can be designed to actually produce down force, than even better. Spoilers don't look very good on C5s so if there's a way to make a complete EFFECTIVE aero package with a big wickerbill and diffuser than that's what modern C5 guys want.

Make it as aggressive as necessary. We've already got half *** cosmetic diffusers. The rest of us want functional.

Finally, where you're allowed to make decisions based purely on aesthetics, in my opinion make it modern and Racey looking. Same as I said above, we already have curvy and fat edged diffusers that "match" the C5 factory styling. Do something with sharp edges and exposed bolts. Proportion the angles and shapes to the car of course, but make it modern looking. Your second render was much better than the first.

Also.... Make a version out of plastic or fiberglass for poor people like me haha. I mean I'll spring for a carbon one if I have to but it won't be for a while, and I'm not going to use it in a race series where every ounce of weight matters. Most of these will probably be put on street cars.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM
C7 Carbon

Thanks again for your input, we appreciate it very much!
PMs replied
Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChargedV90
. Most of these will probably be put on street cars.
the chances of making this fully functional AND at a pricepoint that people will pay for street cars is pretty low.

if it looks as good or better than the carbon creation stealth one thats out. not heavy and added on but actually looks like it flows with the car. I'll be interested. CC's are months out since they changed their supplier. i was all about grabbing one but he can't fill any orders.

If it's all ricey and angular. i don't care how functional it is. it won't be for me.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
the chances of making this fully functional AND at a pricepoint that people will pay for street cars is pretty low.

if it looks as good or better than the carbon creation stealth one thats out. not heavy and added on but actually looks like it flows with the car. I'll be interested. CC's are months out since they changed their supplier. i was all about grabbing one but he can't fill any orders.

If it's all ricey and angular. i don't care how functional it is. it won't be for me.
I agree with this statement. I made the original Stealth diffuser for the other vendor. You will find that there are so many opinions and taste that you can not please eveyone. I liked the 2nd rendering. To me it needs to have smooth transitions to flow with the lines of the C5. No sharp angles or lines. I'm not a weekend racer so I would not put something on my car that screams track gear. I feel the majority of people that purchase from you or most of the other vendors are mostly wanting pieces for looks. I did alot of research before making my rear diffuser and found that none of the diffusers offered by vendors had any hard r&d data or testing to show benifits of their product. To get a full track race diffuser you basicslly need to have a race fab shop make one. Just my opinion. This item is a hard sell either way you go.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:34 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

IMO, while the design is looking better, the overall title says RACE edition.
If you want something that just looks nice, this will probably get there.
Unfortunately, is not in the same galaxy as a RACE diffuser.... that would interest me.
yooper (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 11:58 AM
JuicedH22
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THIS x100000 There is absolutely a market in the c5 racing world for a FUNCTIONAL diffuser (and several members on here can help with what makes a diffuser functional). That same market that will purchase a functional diffuser, will NOT buy a 'just for looks' show piece that is for those just going for a 'look'. While the market size is different there, I would also argue the price a racer is willing to pay for something that works is also higher; as there is NOTHING on the market. Everything is custom fabricated.

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
We need a functional aero piece; one does not exist. We have a couple fake, stick on, just for show, waxer add ons, but no real deal rear aero parts (odd, considering how these cars have dominated the club racer scene in America for almost 2 decades).

If a company were to come out with a complete package front-to-rear splitter/undertray/diffuser, there would people who would buy not just th whole thing, but parts separately as well.

The aero data from the GM factory works team suggests, that the rear bumper acts like a giant air brake by scooping up high velocity air under the car, that is why there are vented slots in the bottom of it. Everything from the front of the gearbox back needs to be capped off for functionality of the piece, and no one makes one big enough to accomplish that.
yooper (10-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7Carbon | Rear Diffuser Race Edition for C5 | 3D DESIGN in development, chime in!!!

Old 10-09-2018, 03:59 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Originally Posted by JuicedH22
THIS x100000 There is absolutely a market in the c5 racing world for a FUNCTIONAL diffuser (and several members on here can help with what makes a diffuser functional). That same market that will purchase a functional diffuser, will NOT buy a 'just for looks' show piece that is for those just going for a 'look'. While the market size is different there, I would also argue the price a racer is willing to pay for something that works is also higher; as there is NOTHING on the market. Everything is custom fabricated.
This thread has been running since Oct 30 of last year -- so a basically a full year.
There are enough pics of real racing diffusers, and easily obtained by looking at the C5R and C6R racecars.

Unfortunately we have not seen anything from the vendor that even begins to be functional as a "RACE" diffuser.
People have provided good pics of serious diffusers.
All serious input has seemingly been ignored.

We're probably all just wasting time on this topic as part of this thread.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:27 PM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Originally Posted by db2xpert
This thread has been running since Oct 30 of last year -- so a basically a full year.
There are enough pics of real racing diffusers, and easily obtained by looking at the C5R and C6R racecars.

Unfortunately we have not seen anything from the vendor that even begins to be functional as a "RACE" diffuser.
People have provided good pics of serious diffusers.
All serious input has seemingly been ignored.

We're probably all just wasting time on this topic as part of this thread.
it took about a year for them to do the front one.

I hold out hope.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by JuicedH22
Has to appeal to both functional use, as well as look good for the masses, or else it wouldn't be worth their time to make.

Quick Reply: C7Carbon | Rear Diffuser Race Edition for C5 | 3D DESIGN in development, chime in!!!