Sponsored by:

Axle back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:03 PM
Tbair64
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Axle back exhaust

Looking at new exhaust. Dont want to break the bank. What is the best options .
Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

depends on wants/needs.

you want cheap just drill holes in your mufflers
Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Tbair64
Racer

Didn't say cheap or stupid.
The following users liked this post:
kzoo-z (11-19-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Tbair64
Be good to know what the "Bank" actually is.

Yello95 (12-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Some people have had satisfactory results with the eBay exhausts.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Another option is to check the C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted section and see what is being offered there. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a great exhaust.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:23 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Didn't say cheap or stupid.
cheap was implied with the "bank" comment. do your own homework.
kenbelt (11-21-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 AM
Tbair64
Racer

Originally Posted by jdmvette
cheap was implied with the "bank" comment. do your own homework.
how about you just get off this subject if you dont have anything you can suggest as positive input.
I have done my home work. But with so many choices and not ever having installed some of these systems I'm not sure how they fit or the quality of the product. Most of the videos with sound all just sound horrible with a video taken from a phone.
hell I've even thought about fabricating my owe exhaust. Corsa seems to be a common choice but I think for what you get it's over priced.
I've been in the race industry over 35 years. As a fabricator I'm not cheap or broke or stupid. This is just fun car for me. Not wanting to throw a ton of money into it.
if you have anything else smart *** to say just keep to yourself.

Last edited by Tbair64; 11-18-2018 at 06:56 AM.
kzoo-z (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Check the used part section of the forum. A lot of guys change system while they are still pretty new. Should get a good buy there
Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

how about you just get off this subject if you dont have anything you can suggest as positive input.
I have done my home work. But with so many choices and not ever having installed some of these systems I'm not sure how they fit or the quality of the product. Most of the videos with sound all just sound horrible with a video taken from a phone.
hell I've even thought about fabricating my owe exhaust. Corsa seems to be a common choice but I think for what you get it's over priced.
I've been in the race industry over 35 years. As a fabricator I'm not cheap or broke or stupid. This is just fun car for me. Not wanting to throw a ton of money into it.
if you have anything else smart *** to say just keep to yourself.
Lots of people come here to seek advice. Many want answers but do not offer the most basic criteria. to some people 1000 dollars is chump change, to others, its way out of range. So, the attitude toward a viable answer need some facts. You qualifier " Not breaking the bank " is vague.

On the other hand, you said Corsa is way overpriced. This tell me you know little about the specifics of a Corsa system even after all the " " Homework. " you said you did. , You said, you have been in the racing business as a fabricator for 35 years. And you should fabricate your own.. Just an FYI … Fabricating and exhaust system that actually benefits the motor is a science.. It took three months to develop the Corsa Indy Pace car system for GM's Pace car. Bending sound pulses while producing scavenging to positively draw exhaust pulses from the combustion chambers requires expensive test equipment and lots of destructive and non-destructive testing.

Corsa system is stainless steel is is guaranteed not to drone at any RPM range, increase needed scavenging to draw more exhaust than a factory system. VALUE ? Bank for the buck ?.I have an original Corsa Indy Pace car system exhaust with the GM [part number. It is guaranteed for life..( They do not guarantee them for life any more ) My system is 18 years old and I could sell it tomorrow for 800 dollars. Ive heard ever exhaust system out there To my ear, there is nothing that sounds better, but then not everyone has my ear.. To say they are overpriced for you is more about you than the system since it is so popular. Money, cost, seems to be the only distractor for many. Point being, not everyone has the same " Bank breaking point " I always say; " I can not afford to buy anything cheap " it just cost too much money and disappointment..

This was insight to a Corsa system, and a step back look to your position on them. I could buy any system I want, but to be this satisfied after 18 years says a lot about long lasting satisfaction. I tried to offer real feedback without out being the Old ET.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Bill aka ET
Yello95 (12-17-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:46 PM
1stC599
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Borla Stingers, SLP Loudmouths and b&b bullets are under $1k I think. They have a deep rumble and tone to them. Every other exhaust is higher pitched and raspy. A less expensive way is buying a xpipe, muffler and tips of your choice. Without the xpipe it sounds like a boat with popping and gurgling, but some like it that way. I’ve been looking at exhausts too.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 PM
billc80
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Borla s type axle back, around 500.00 They drone if you let it. I have 6 speed so drop a gear and that helps
Old 11-18-2018, 08:57 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Muffler bypass with stock exhaust. Sound be 100.00 at muffler shop
Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the Borla muffler delete. The fit of the product wasn't all that great but I got it done and it is bad *** loud! Not for everyone though.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 PM
kzoo-z
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Lots of people come here to seek advice. Many want answers but do not offer the most basic criteria. to some people 1000 dollars is chump change, to others, its way out of range. So, the attitude toward a viable answer need some facts. You qualifier " Not breaking the bank " is vague.

On the other hand, you said Corsa is way overpriced. This tell me you know little about the specifics of a Corsa system even after all the " " Homework. " you said you did. , You said, you have been in the racing business as a fabricator for 35 years. And you should fabricate your own.. Just an FYI … Fabricating and exhaust system that actually benefits the motor is a science.. It took three months to develop the Corsa Indy Pace car system for GM's Pace car. Bending sound pulses while producing scavenging to positively draw exhaust pulses from the combustion chambers requires expensive test equipment and lots of destructive and non-destructive testing.

Corsa system is stainless steel is is guaranteed not to drone at any RPM range, increase needed scavenging to draw more exhaust than a factory system. VALUE ? Bank for the buck ?.I have an original Corsa Indy Pace car system exhaust with the GM [part number. It is guaranteed for life..( They do not guarantee them for life any more ) My system is 18 years old and I could sell it tomorrow for 800 dollars. Ive heard ever exhaust system out there To my ear, there is nothing that sounds better, but then not everyone has my ear.. To say they are overpriced for you is more about you than the system since it is so popular. Money, cost, seems to be the only distractor for many. Point being, not everyone has the same " Bank breaking point " I always say; " I can not afford to buy anything cheap " it just cost too much money and disappointment..

This was insight to a Corsa system, and a step back look to your position on them. I could buy any system I want, but to be this satisfied after 18 years says a lot about long lasting satisfaction. I tried to offer real feedback without out being the Old ET.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Bill aka ET
That right there is a perfect example of passing along some advice, attempting to answer a question, and providing a little wisdom along with a painless brush stroke of criticism without taking a shot or being a jerk..........
Old 11-19-2018, 02:40 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

I love the low rumble sound of my Borla Type S catbacks. The previous owner had installed them. I was going to change over to Corsa after purchasing my C5, but I ended up loving that exhaust sound so I kept them.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:52 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

watch the C5 parts for sale for a recognized name - -Billy Boat, Corsa, Borla, etc . . . .12-1400 new . . half the price used in good shape.

I've put BB Route 66s on 2 Vettes, Corsa on this one.

Last edited by CQRT; 11-19-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Axle back exhaust

Quick Reply: Axle back exhaust