Sponsored by:

Shoot, no more Vredestein Sessanta or Potenza 760's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 03:14 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shoot, no more Vredestein Sessanta or Potenza 760's

Guess I'll go with Continental ECS for my C5Z. I loved the Vreds. They were great in wet conditions and worked well on the track. Maybe I should go with an 18 up front and see what options that gives me. Or maybe just trade this sucker in for an '08! Yeah right... Maybe if I was a little more responsible with my money OR if my CTS-V would quit breaking.... p.o.s....

Anyway, maybe some of you have some up to date input or ideas? A lot has changed with tires since I last looked.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:48 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The Sessantas were my favorite tire but unfortunately they decided the Corvette market wasn't big enough so they dropped our sizes. They are still made. I went for my next tires to Extreme Contact DW's. I didn't think they were as good. I will be buying very soon Michelin Pilot Super Sports for new wheels I am buying. They are supposed to be the best choice and fairly reasonable in price comparison. I'd buy Vreds if I could.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:14 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I have the Continental ESC's on my 99, great tire. I have the Michelin Super Sports on my 02 which are better tires than the ESC's. Only downside to the Michelin's, $.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I have the Potenzas, they seem alright. Great commuter tire but the grip is whatever IMO.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 AM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Tirerack inventory says they have stock size RE760s
Old 11-17-2017, 10:05 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
I have the Potenzas, they seem alright. Great commuter tire but the grip is whatever IMO.
Do you know if those are the RE760 Potenzas? Their latest and greatest. My buddy has an older model Potenza that he likes but thinks the newer 760s' should be even better.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:06 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bj1888
I ended up getting the Conti ECS's. Thanks for letting me know though!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:09 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I have the Continental ESC's on my 99, great tire. I have the Michelin Super Sports on my 02 which are better tires than the ESC's. Only downside to the Michelin's, $.
Man, I would LOVE some Super Sports. Too bad they're Super Expensive. I'm so butt hurt over the Vredesteins. Damn. At least I'm getting the new Vortis' for the Caddy. They were so good on my friend's A4. And they are only $135 a tire from Fairmount. That's such a great deal.
Thank you for your post!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Just tested the Conti's on an open, winding, elevation changing road (void of any people) and had a great time. I really like the look of these tires and while I'm not gonna act like I'm some tire connoisseur, I can tell you I had a lot of fun and recommend these tires to anyone hesitant to purchase. When the Vreds run out in the back, I'll replace them with these Continental ECS's.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Do you know if those are the RE760 Potenzas? Their latest and greatest. My buddy has an older model Potenza that he likes but thinks the newer 760s' should be even better.
Yes, nothing to rave about. Typical commuter tire, I will replace them with NT05's when it's time.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:19 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Yes, nothing to rave about. Typical commuter tire, I will replace them with NT05's when it's time.
I've read good and bad things about Nitto and I think it depends on the model. Is the NT05's the widely popular model? I know there's the one that everybody seems to like. Must be the NT05.
I'm just north of Seattle so that's why the Sessantas were so clutch. I could drive them in the rain with zero worries. I believe I read the NT05 is a damn good tire but didn't fare so well in the rain. I know we're talking summer performance but that why the Vreds were gold; a summer tire with the very best skills when wet.
I'm gonna miss those things...
Old 11-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

I've read good and bad things about Nitto and I think it depends on the model. Is the NT05's the widely popular model? I know there's the one that everybody seems to like. Must be the NT05.
I'm just north of Seattle so that's why the Sessantas were so clutch. I could drive them in the rain with zero worries. I believe I read the NT05 is a damn good tire but didn't fare so well in the rain. I know we're talking summer performance but that why the Vreds were gold; a summer tire with the very best skills when wet.
I'm gonna miss those things...
NT05 was designed to work well in water, worked great on my 630rwhp mustang in dry or wet. I've ran them on every car I've had and they worked bitchen.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

NT05 was designed to work well in water, worked great on my 630rwhp mustang in dry or wet. I've ran them on every car I've had and they worked bitchen.
Aaaah, sweet man. Good to know. I'll have to research a comparison to the Conti's.
Thanks for the info!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:34 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

I loved the Vredesteins when they were available. Excellent tire. Next I bought the Conti EC's. Not bad but noisier than I expected. A little squirmy when pushing them and I actually heard them squeal at times on curvy roads. I'm purchasing tires this week and everyone I've spoken to says the Michelins are that much better than anything else that they are worth the money difference. Discount Tire is having a $100 rebate sale all this week which will help on the price difference. Years ago I had Michelin PS2's on my car which were excellent but uber expensive. $1700 a set. The new Michelin 4S's are a lot less expensive than PS2's but supposed to be much better tires. Super Sports are superseded by the new 4S. They also offer an extensive choice of sizes to choose from. I will make a final decision this week. Too bad Vredestein isn't a choice.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Man, I would LOVE some Super Sports. Too bad they're Super Expensive. I'm so butt hurt over the Vredesteins. Damn. At least I'm getting the new Vortis' for the Caddy. They were so good on my friend's A4. And they are only $135 a tire from Fairmount. That's such a great deal.
Thank you for your post!
Ditto on the Vreds! Got mine from Fairmount too!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:49 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

I knooooow. I want to write them and ask, what the heck MAN!!?? Lol. Ill have to see how these Conti's do at Pacific Raceways.
Now that I have the tires, I should be all set. I just had a Turn One rebuilt steering rack installed. Hopefully the tires will keep me on the road. PR's not the place to be sliding off track
Old 11-29-2017, 03:41 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

I just received today my new tires, wish my wheels were coming soon. I bought the Michelin 4S which supersede the Super Sports. The total price was not too much more than the Continental EC Sports. A little over $100 more than the Contis. I haven't spoken to anyone who didn't feel the Michelins were the best choice. Also, in the sizes I bought only three companies made matching front and rears, Conti, Michelin and Hankooks. I don't think I'm too aggressive a driver but I could easily get my Contis on the CCW's I sold to squeal in turns. Actually surprised me the first time it happened. For those who might be interested I purchased 265/30-19 fronts and 305/30-19's for the rear. They look quite large off the car, hoping I have no fit issues, even though I know others have used the same sizes. They are only one size bigger than my last tires which were 295/35-18's which never rubbed or stuck out.

Get notified of new replies

To Shoot, no more Vredestein Sessanta or Potenza 760's

Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Jeff, Where did you buy them? I don’t think you will have any size issues, from my own observations people have gone larger than 305 with no problems.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:10 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Discount Tire. Several promotion over the Back Friday weekend, still on until today! Saved $160, not including free shipping too!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:52 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1888
I have OEM-sized RE760 as my DD tire - drove to the Tire Rack warehouse in New Castle DE (from central NJ) to pick them up (in my SUV) - no tax + no shipping I used them twice on track days - they did OK until they started getting hot then I could feel them getting greasy. I now have NT01 on my OEM rims as a track day tire and they are great - just need to find the time/$$ to get out there and use them more...

Quick Reply: Shoot, no more Vredestein Sessanta or Potenza 760's