Sponsored by:

Any reputable carbon fiber hydrographic company

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:51 AM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Any reputable carbon fiber hydrographic company

I would like to have my 2001 Convertible deck lid hydrographically dipped. I'm also considering a pair of exterior mirrors and Z06 ducts. I live in Oklahoma but don't mind shipping. Have any of you worked with a company that produced good results? I'd love to see some pictures. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have worked with a couple. There's one local to me called AZHydroGraphics I believe. They are in Prescott. I haven't used them in a while so I can't vouch for them. I have also used American Hydrocarbon that's out of Florida. The owners name is Pat and he does tremendous work. He's done almost everything in my interior and some under hood stuff. Great person to deal with. He would/will get my business if I decide to add anything else.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Why not a wrap???
Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 PM
DrRaySomeDay
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Vinyl wraps do not provide the 3D depth that real carbon fiber and epoxy resin do.

I tried to wrap it with real CF a couple times without much success. I finally found a special fabric with a 'weave lock' mechanism that makes it easier to lay down without any fabric distortion around curves.

After multiple pours with appropriate drying time in between each coat, I also sanded out all the imperfections. It takes multiple layers of resin pours to get the beauty and depth we all associate with carbon fiber. Unfortunately, this adds a LOT of weigh to the trunk lid. The hydraulic lifts will not open the trunk as it sits. It still also needs some final sanding and I just don't have the energy anymore. A hydrographic dip seems like that way to go! Now I just gotta find a good one in oklahoma
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have had several pieces on the C5 done with Hydrographics, but only one piece has stood up to the test of time. In every case the "hydrographic pattern" was applied perfectly, but it is the "clear" coat(s) that have failed me. All of the engine compartment parts I had done turned milky white to where you could barely see the graphics. Had the windshield wiper caps done twice, but the clear keeps peeling up around the edges. Finally gave up on the hydrographics and went with DiNOC textured CF wrap. Two years in the engine compartment so far with no issues - easy to apply and adds no weight.

But if you like that shiny "plastic" look of most real CF, you would not like the wrap...

As opposed to my "real" CF Engine cover...

Last edited by Choreo; 11-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Check with James Williams on the Bad Boy Vettes social site. He is doing some amazing things with C5's, C6's and C7's.

Get notified of new replies

To Any reputable carbon fiber hydrographic company

Quick Reply: Any reputable carbon fiber hydrographic company