Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A SAD Good bye to my baby!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

The lady offering cash and trying to get the injured party to not call the police is not the right way for the female to have handled it. She did not want to have anything on her driving record and tried to bribe the person she hit not to report it.
Your comment is way off base, but you are entitled to your opinion, wrong as it may be.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:43 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
The lady offering cash and trying to get the injured party to not call the police is not the right way for the female to have handled it. She did not want to have anything on her driving record and tried to bribe the person she hit not to report it.
Your comment is way off base, but you are entitled to your opinion, wrong as it may be.
you're right, it's not the right way to handle it. She could have underestimated the damage and potential injury, we don't have pics so we don't know how bad it even is.

Theres a lot we dont know, but it's not uncommon or illegal to not report an accident to my knowledge. I'm certainly glad the OP got checked out and is hopefully okay, but HIS comments here are uncalled for unless she did something else we don't know. Imagine it was your wife or daughter he's talking about, who wanted to make it right, and then think about how much you would approve of his words towards her.

She didnt run away, she took responsibility, and she asked if it could be handled without the police or insurance. How does that make her a "stupid bitch"

Last edited by dbgoodwin; 11-20-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Glad that you are OK. Time to start looking for another C5.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:38 PM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Glad you are ok. That’s the exact reason I sold my Harley back in ‘08 - because of drivers like her.

Originally Posted by Pb122216
Was a beautiful day here in my small town, perfect Sunday afternoon to take the Vette out for a drive, which I did. Took a short drive out into a rural area just enjoying the car, the sun & some good tunes. Decided to go back home was 4 blocks from my house & some stupid bitch ran a stop sign & hit my 98 Vette square in the right rear quarter panel and killed my car. Was the perfect hit it knocked the rear end housing completely sideways under the car. What made me even hotter under collar was the fact that this stupid "B" wanted to offer me some cash on the spot & not call the cops. I said hell no lady I am calling the cops & have them take me to the hospital to be checked out. At the time of the impact my left leg got twisted into some kind of crazy position under the dash, got checked out, the knee & lower part of the left leg are sore. So now I guess I am out of a Vette... I truly loved that car, owned it for a whole 4 months & 2 days. Took me a year of searching to find what I thought was the perfect deal... Maybe I can find another one, we'll see...
Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok time for a new car. Let's get this group to help. What are we going to look for? Same thing or something better?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Kinda hard for me to feel too bad for you since at the current time all I know about the other lady was that she made a mistake, took the blame for it, and offered to make it right, yet you're personally attacking her for it.

Glad you, and everyone else, seems to be mostly alright.
I disagree. Running a red light or a stop sign is not a mistake. Its careless driving and unforgivable. You can accidentally lose traction and slide into someone but you cant accidentally run a red light.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crosis
I disagree. Running a red light or a stop sign is not a mistake. Its careless driving and unforgivable. You can accidentally lose traction and slide into someone but you cant accidentally run a red light.
Because no one has ever missed a stop sign that was out of their line of vision or glare caused them to not see it. No one has ever misjudged a light changing. Maybe she stopped then didn't see the OP for some reason and pulled out hitting his quarter.

I missed a stop sign on the way to VIR once because it was slightly twisted and the early morning glare made it invisible to me. Luckily there wasn't anyone coming and all was fine, but it was just a culmination of bad events that caused it, not carelessness. Texting and driving is careless, accelerating in a way that makes you lose traction and slide is careless. Drinking and driving is careless.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:19 PM
sportmedtech
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're right, it's not the right way to handle it. She could have underestimated the damage and potential injury, we don't have pics so we don't know how bad it even is.

Theres a lot we dont know, but it's not uncommon or illegal to not report an accident to my knowledge. I'm certainly glad the OP got checked out and is hopefully okay, but HIS comments here are uncalled for unless she did something else we don't know. Imagine it was your wife or daughter he's talking about, who wanted to make it right, and then think about how much you would approve of his words towards her.

She didnt run away, she took responsibility, and she asked if it could be handled without the police or insurance. How does that make her a "stupid bitch"
Actually it is required by law in many states to report ALL collisions to the DMV if the damage is over $750 dollars and notify authorities if any injuries are involved. What she did is illegal as she ran a stop sign and attempted to violate state law by trying not to report it. Depending on her physical condition (intoxicated or impaired in any way) she may also been charged with a felony. So you really don't have a leg to stand on here.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:22 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sportmedtech
Actually it is required by law in many states to report ALL collisions to the DMV if the damage is over $750 dollars and notify authorities if any injuries are involved. What she did is illegal as she ran a stop sign and attempted to violate state law by trying not to report it. Depending on her physical condition (intoxicated or impaired in any way) she may also been charged with a felony. So you really don't have a leg to stand on here.
the leg that she shouldn't be called a stupid bitch?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM
sportmedtech
8th Gear

the leg that she shouldn't be called a stupid bitch?
I don't know what you would call someone that breaks the law by running a stop sign, collides and totals a vehicle which results in injuries to an innocent person and tries to then not take responsibility (either civilly or criminally) for it by offering petty cash to the person who she just injured and destroyed his property? All to avoid points on her license, higher insurance premiums, the OP's medical bills and possible legal repercussions. I would classify what the OP called her as tame that is for sure. BTW this comes from someone with law enforcement experience so it isn't like I am pulling this out of thin air.

Last edited by sportmedtech; 11-20-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:32 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sportmedtech
I don't know what you would call someone
I generally recommend their name.

Im not going to argue with anyone over this, seems everything worked out. In a world with this much evil, her offense is minimal, and she did take responsibility.

Like i said, none of us know the full story and she easily could have underestimated the damage. She could have been shaken up and panicked before coming to her senses. She obviously stayed and waited for police after the OP told her no. I refuse to judge a person based of ONE mistake and ONE action taken in a high stress emergency situation.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM
sportmedtech
8th Gear

I generally recommend their name.

Im not going to argue with anyone over this, seems everything worked out. In a world with this much evil, her offense is minimal, and she did take responsibility.

Like i said, none of us know the full story and she easily could have underestimated the damage. She could have been shaken up and panicked before coming to her senses. She obviously stayed and waited for police after the OP told her no. I refuse to judge a person based of ONE mistake and ONE action taken in a high stress emergency situation.
No one is arguing but if we follow your logic then anyone who has committed even a serious offense, one time should not be "judged" as you put it. I had a conversation about this recently with a former colleague about a rookie patrolman who under a "high stress emergency situation" essentially tucked his tail and was going to run until other more seasoned officers told him 'No' and forced him to stay after which he did follow the proper protocol. Needless to say those around him and with him formed a negative opinion rather quickly and rightfully so. I know a apples to oranges comparison however my point is one should not have to be persuaded or threatened to do the right thing. Bottom line is she was looking out for her own skin and didn't care about the OP's health or property as indicated by her initial response was to try and flee. We all make mistakes and I have no doubt it was not her intent to hit him but it is how we respond to the mistakes we make that defines you. IMHO her actions following the collision were not the 'right thing to do'. You defending her is noble however.

Last edited by sportmedtech; 11-20-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

She offered money, that’s all the OP can get. What’s the problem? Leaving the scene is bad. Driving without insurance is bad. Offering to pay for the other driver’s damage is not bad.

I’m glad you are perfect and never need a break. You have no idea what the other driver’s story is.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 PM
sportmedtech
8th Gear

Originally Posted by maj75
She offered money, that’s all the OP can get. What’s the problem? Leaving the scene is bad. Driving without insurance is bad. Offering to pay for the other driver’s damage is not bad.

I’m glad you are perfect and never need a break. You have no idea what the other driver’s story is.
Easy to say she needs to catch a break when it isn't you car and hard earned money on the line.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:21 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Kinda hard for me to feel too bad for you since at the current time all I know about the other lady was that she made a mistake, took the blame for it, and offered to make it right, yet you're personally attacking her for it.

I disagree. She ran a stop sign which means she was an inattentive crap driver, which there are too many of. Probably texting which is also too common of this type of driver. On top of it all she was prepared to pay cash to resolve this event. No way in hell would I let her off. Probably an incident she's had experience with before. She should be off the road.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk23
Sorry for your lost. It sucks big time, I hate the people just drive their damn car and not paying attention while they have a 3000lbs plus killing machine running on the road.

Hence the reason I've stop riding my motorcycle.

Crazy people out there. But glad that you are O.K. And walk away safe.
Originally Posted by Leader One
Glad you are ok. That’s the exact reason I sold my Harley back in ‘08 - because of drivers like her.
Same here, I got bumped by two careless drivers, changed lanes into me without even looking over, luckily I was riding an enduro and was able to go offroad.

My buddy just lost his log in his motorcycle accident in a similar way.

Offering cash is generally an indication of not having insurance and attempting to weasel out of being fully responsible for their mistake. Humans are entitled to what verbiage they desire, that whole free speech thing.

I agree with him considering every vehicle I've owned was damaged by a careless driver that attempted to "avoid" responsibility for it, meaning they acknowledged it happened, and offered their half *** version of a fix. People in general know "corvettes are expensive" so I doubt whatever cash she had on her would be enough to fix any car damaged that much.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, I do agree with you that his choice of words to describe the lady were inappropriate.

Get notified of new replies

To A SAD Good bye to my baby!!!

Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Well, first thing is that you got to walk away! Painful as it is losing a prized car, they are replaceable. You were absolutely right to insist on a police report and please don't write off the injured leg as "its OK". Give it time, see where it goes as far as healing and don't talk to anyone but your attorney regarding your injury. Remember the old saying that everything and anything you say will be used against you. Lot of truth in that old line. Take care, and once again, glad you walked away.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:26 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Whether the other driver offered money is immaterial because:

REPORTING AN ACCIDENT TO THE NORTH CAROLINA DMV.
You are not required to report any accidents to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles.
Nonetheless, all accidents that involve death, injury or property damage exceeding $1,000 must be reported to the Police.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

There is really no way to offer cash unless she had a suitcase full of it.
Even then, is the OP supposed to sit there with a injured leg, totaled car and debris scattered everywhere like nothing happened.

That isn't even rational.
The same irrational kind of thinking that totaled a nice Vette and almost killed someone.

OP: Glad you made it out to search for another Vette. The car is replaceable.

Last edited by Rob 02; 11-23-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: A SAD Good bye to my baby!!!